Congo
Joined 5851 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 1 of 17
26 January 2011 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
MegatronFilm wrote:

On a side note: There's a guy in Cambridge who teaches multiple languages simultaneously to his students. He
claims to speak over 70 languages fluently. I can't see how that is possible. Here's the link:

Interncontinential Foreign Language Program

MegatronFilm wrote:

I forgot to mention that I went to his office one time some years ago because I was curious. He did say then that
he speaks over 70 fluently. I took a sample class and it was strange. The format might work for some people,
but I was confused. We were practicing Arabic, German, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian at the same time. I don't
know how well he speaks those languages, but he was really good at switching with no problem.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=20578&PN=5&TPN=4

http://somerville.patch.com/ wrote:

Riethmiller believes affinity for languages has to be built and even goes as far to say that the hardest thing you can do to learn a language is to only focus on one: "The moment that you have at least two, one can go interactive with the other one, it gets easier and then you add three and the fizz that you get, gets even more. People experience that it's not only easier, but it's almost an enzyme," he said.

To make polyglots of his students, Riethmiller uses LipScripts to teach phrases and vocabulary, and VerbDance to teach conjugations.

"The scripts that I write are like all very easily accessible, they're democratic, conversational things, but they're funnier than hell sometimes. We get a little surreal—we have the cat goddess, we have carrot breath, we have all kinds of creatures in the scripts coming in to help us," he said.

http://somerville.patch.com/articles/polyglot-professor

anyone here has any information about his methods? (is this guy a member of this forum? :P)
1 person has voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6701 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 17
26 January 2011 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
I say we put Mr. Riethmiller, Mr. Fazah, Mr. Cox and Mr. Monteleone in a ring and let them duke it out.
6 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5851 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 

Message 3 of 17
26 January 2011 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
good suggestion but... I mean, there has to be a way to know if he's the real deal, and if he is, well, I'd like to know about his techniques in more detail like, let's say:

http://www.celebratebrazil.com/ wrote:

I've had several wonderful teachers over the years who have been so helpful to me. The first was Lee Riethmiller of the Intercontinential Language School. He's quite gifted and I think speaks 26 language fluently himself!! He created these hilarious "verb dances" with funny phrases you can't help but remember!

Our group used to attend classes together and to this day I can still remember one of the phrases I found most hilarious:

O pepino grita e caia de joelhos

Which means....

The cucumber screams and falls to its knees !!!!

LOL, so you can see why I've always remembered my first Brazil language instructor!! :-)

http://www.celebratebrazil.com/brazil-language.html

but yeah, I'd love to see a mortal kombat too :P

p.s.: I've seen Mr Fazah and maybe he's a little bit rusty (I do not like rocky balboa 6 at all)

translator2
United States
Joined 6701 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 

Message 4 of 17
26 January 2011 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
In my experience, the people shouting the loudest about how many languages they know or speak often turn out to be the ones who are the least qualified to assess their own abilities.

See my post here:YouTube Polyglots
3 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5851 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 

Message 5 of 17
26 January 2011 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
I got you but it seems to be this guy (Mr. Riethmiller) isn't "shouting" at all, and maybe that's why I'm really interested. references about this guy are quite scarce

maybe I'm too naive but I've got kinda crush on this "multilanguage" approach and it would be so nice to have new (or reloaded) and more efficient points of view (approaches)

as far as I can see, Mr. Riethmiller method lies "heavily" on mnemonics (like some bits of michel thomas method and similar -even though mtm is a step by step structure -grammar?- course) including emotion (music, exaggeration, etc), opposites and so on

http://use.perl.org/~johnseq/journal/ wrote:

he also eschews the standard grammar-based approach. Instead, he writes interactive question and answer type scripts that resemble beat poetry -- quite absurb. You don't do 'going to the movies' or 'in the kitchen' vocabulary fests. Instead, you converse with mushrooms, cheese-boys, Italian bees and strawberry girls, and each verb tense you memorize is associated with a flavor of ice cream. Occasionally the scripts will overlap with some 60s pop song, and Lee will break into song.

The lessons are quite entertaining, and while you can't necessarily recall how to say arbitrary sentences, the ones you know come quite easily. You are encouraged to study the scripts, but Lee is a realist about how much time working folks hav to devote to language study so you never get discouraged.

http://use.perl.org/~johnseq/journal/

p.s.: I saw your comment in that post. what's Vlad's youtube channel?

translator2
United States
Joined 6701 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 

Message 6 of 17
26 January 2011 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
RE: Vlad's podcast
2 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6650 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 7 of 17
26 January 2011 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
I say we put Mr. Riethmiller, Mr. Fazah, Mr. Cox and Mr. Monteleone in a ring and let them duke it out.

I doubt Gregg Cox would show up. :-) I've spoken with him several times and he is actually very modest about his spoken languages. He did try to get certificates for all the languages he knew for increased income, but regarding the article written about him, he said it was a friend who wrote it, and indicated that the World Record he got was also at the insistence of people around him, rather than his own goal.

He's told me straight up he doesn't fluently speak 67 languages (I think that's what the biographical article said) but rather more like 12 or 15 whereas others he's studied aren't as strong or have fallen into disuse. He emailed me his list of languages, but I don't recall it now exactly. He's also said that for all the interviews he's done about languages, there are several others he has declined. And case in point, I've only been able to find one or two interviews with him.

Edited by Journeyer on 28 January 2011 at 9:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version