Canada
Joined 5063 days ago

49 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 9 of 16
28 January 2011 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Newty wrote:
As for immersion material.

There's not a lot of mainland China dramas or shows out there, but there's a lot of
Taiwanese ones. I understand that those use Mandarin, but will the Tawainese accent
create any issues?

http://www.baidu.com/
http://www.pptv.com/
http://www.bbtv.cn/
http://book.sina.com.cn/
http://www.readnovel.com/
http://data.yule.baidu.com/index_radio.html

;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Li Fei
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4934 days ago

147 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 16
28 January 2011 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Hey Newty, welcome! I'm glad you started a blog; it'll be nice to watch the progress of another Mandarin learner. I
salute you on doing Pimsleur and will be interested to follow your progress on FSI. I haven't found much Mandarin
TV to watch either, but am going to try out a snarky cartoon Whitefish mentions on his blog. I think I can watch it
with my daughter.

Newty
United States
Joined 4862 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes
Studies: Mandarin, English*
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 11 of 16
31 January 2011 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Week 1

Pimsleur 7
Chinesepod Newbie Greeting Lessons

It was a busy weekend for me so I could not get as much Mandarin studying done as I
would have liked. I need to step it up some more (didn't even do FSI).

As of now, I can say things like...

"Hello, may I ask you a question?" ..."Where is College Road / Long Peace Street?"...or
"What would you like to eat/drink?"..."Do you want to come eat at my place?"..."I
would like a beer" etc.

I am getting a sense of sentence structure though.

Newty
United States
Joined 4862 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes

Message 12 of 16
01 February 2011 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
I forgot to mention, thanks to all who pointed out immersion material. I can't wait to
get started on it in a few months.

Newty
United States
Joined 4862 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes

Message 13 of 16
02 February 2011 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
I went over Pimsleur 8 today and realized that the vocabulary has been building up a
little bit too quickly for me to handle. I can no longer answer the prompted questions
on the fly and sometimes forget the meaning of each phrase they give.

This is after having to review Pimsleur 6 and 7 twice. Maybe I am not as fast as some
others on this forum when it comes to languages...

However, I remembered that I had been meaning to do some flash cards and figured it
would help. I spent an hour making the flashcards using Audacity and ANKI (per
Irrational's recommendation) and WOW did it help me!

For those of you that do not know...ANKI is a flashcard program and the great thing
about it is that you can add sound clips. What I did was use Audacity (a free sound
editing program) to cut up the Pimsleur lessons into little sound clips. So on my
flash card I would have "hello" and then when I told it to flip, it would give me the
corresponding sound bite. I was a bit skeptical at first because it sounded like a lot
of work, but it was worth it for me. Just making the flash cards was a good exercise
in itself.

I also printed out the materials for FSI today. After the first lesson I have been a
bit slow with FSI...it is a bit more dry and I find myself getting pulled more towards
Pimsleur for some reason. I do think I should use it though, since it breaks down
grammar and is more in depth.

Summary: Pimsleur 8, made falsh cards for all Pimsleur vocab up to this point, printed
FSI materials.

Matty
Diglot
United States
Joined 5105 days ago

31 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 14 of 16
02 February 2011 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Newty wrote:
I went over Pimsleur 8 today and realized that the vocabulary has been building up a
little bit too quickly for me to handle. I can no longer answer the prompted questions

This is after having to review Pimsleur 6 and 7 twice. Maybe I am not as fast as some

Are you doing more than one lesson per day? If so, it is probably usual to repeat a number of lessons. Even if not, Mandarin is a difficult language.

Newty
United States
Joined 4862 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes

Message 15 of 16
08 February 2011 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Matty wrote:
Newty wrote:
I went over Pimsleur 8 today and realized that the
vocabulary has been building up a

Are you doing more than one lesson per day? If so, it is probably usual to repeat a
number of lessons. Even if not, Mandarin is a difficult language.

It depends, but mostly one lesson per day so far. I think it was just 6-8 though.
Those introduced a lot of new words, but as I hit 9-10 it is starting to get more
comfortable again.

Li Fei
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4934 days ago

147 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 16
09 February 2011 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
Hi Newty,
I do most Pimsleur lessons twice, and I try to put unknown vocabulary for the next few lessons into my SRS
program. Some people on this forum repeat lessons even more times, but I get too bored . . . some of those
hard lessons about giving directions ("go straight ahead fifty meters more or less, turn to the right, the post
office is on your left next to the bank") . . . who could possibly learn that sentence, and yet, who could bear to
listen to it over and over???? If you can, you are a better Mandarin learner than I.

However, I think our idol Irrationale only had to do each Pimsleur lesson once . . .

Your work on Anki sounds awesome! I admire your ability to work the technology. I use an iPad app called
TrainChinese; it's not perfect, but it has audio and a decent dictionary and collection of phrases, and it does the
work for me.

Good luck!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version