FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6675 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 1 of 6
26 January 2011 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
I have been listening to several SOV languages. They always seem a little bit 'repetitive' in terms of sound. For example, Korean news reports seem to be a string on "nida...nida...nida" etc. Has anyone else noticed this with SOV languages or is it just me?
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5191 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 6
26 January 2011 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
Native speakers don't usually notice repetitions of grammatical elements. Similarly, English speakers don't notice "do", "not" or "have" being repeated, or else "he", they" or prepositions.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sanghee
Groupie
United States
Joined 4878 days ago

60 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 3 of 6
26 January 2011 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
When I watch kDramas or variety shows I don't notice that kind of repetition because there are a lot of verb endings used in every day speech. News reporters speak formally so that's why you hear _nida constantly. Even when the _yo ending is used frequently, I don't really notice the repetition, _nida is more noticeable because it's two syllables. Also, I'm not very familiar with Japanese but I have never thought that it sounded repetitive.

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5377 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 4 of 6
27 January 2011 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
When I listen to Japanese news reports (example) I hear "...mashita" a lot. But like Sanghee said, it's probably as unnoticeable to them as the constant barrage of English sentences you hear that start with "I..." and "You...".

Edited by Levi on 27 January 2011 at 3:56am

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5235 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 5 of 6
27 January 2011 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
In Korean ending every sentence with 요 sounds really funny and robot-like. I think for
the news the constant 습니다 form kind of lends itself to be repeated, since it's for
more formal settings anyway.
But you know, there are like a million ways out of ending things in 요 (or in just 요) In
the language so that even to the casual listener it doesn't sound so repetitive.

Sidenote: if you want a good clip of repetitive 요 sounds, type in "롤러코스터 탐구생활"
into youtube!

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5576 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 6 of 6
27 January 2011 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
It's just the other way around; ...nida or ...masu are just ways to mark the politeness level and other than that they can be ignored in a way.
(Though, at least in Japanese it seems to be possible to get by by just using *mumble mumble-masu* all day, just like in German people just don't notice it when you replace *Wiedersehen!* with *Wirsing!*)
What I notice is that after I've spent a lot of time on Japanese, I find it quite tiring to keep on repeating the subject of a sentence in German or English, and when I come back to Japanese after a break I find it funny how many sentences rhyme.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version