Triglot
United States
Joined 6150 days ago

122 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Slovak

Message 1 of 16
26 January 2011 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
Fellow language learners,

Over the past too many months I had been severely lacking motivation to learn and maintain my languages. Despite all the vigor and effort I put into learning German over these years, I had let my knowledge of it wither into a shell of what it once was. It wasn't until recently that I kicked myself in the mental ass and recovered what I had lost, and then some. It was sweat and tears, as you all know, and at times I wondered why I bothered doing it all over again. Then I stumbled into German poetry. More than ever before I realized that all of this effort was worth it. I shared in the human experience with a long-dead writer of words I once could not comprehend, and it was an incredible feeling.

So I ask you, what is it that keeps you going with your languages? What makes you bring them back from the brink and revive them? In what moment did you realize that it was all worth it?

-Robert
1 person has voted this message useful

P0nd3r
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5014 days ago

30 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: English*, Persian*
Studies: Swedish, Japanese

Message 2 of 16
27 January 2011 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
I haven't let go of japanese, but the beauty in japanese is in itself. I just love the language, I love the writing system,I love the pop culture in Japan, and I love speaking the language.

I've never tried to look an Asian language, but I think it's nice to do so, its just really cool.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5459 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 3 of 16
27 January 2011 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
Hot chicks. And pop culture. But the hot chicks are very important.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6392 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 4 of 16
27 January 2011 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
For me the enjoyment is in learning the language. I don't need any motivation to study as it's pretty much entertainment to me. It's like watching TV. On the other hand it becomes hard to maintain it. What the hell am I going to do with my knowledge of Mandarin and Cantonese once I'm back in Sweden? They'll probably just fall into disuse. I'll need some motivation to actually use the languages once I've learned them.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5576 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 16
27 January 2011 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Hot chicks. And pop culture. But the hot chicks are very important.

Agreed.
Wait ... I don't even like Japanese chicks. I should learn Chinese.

Sometimes, I understand something or express an idea, and the next moment I feel shocked about how natural it felt. How to properly explain it? Those are moments when I can use a bit of language and am not hindered by my second thoughts and all the rules and memories and thoughts and everything that accompanies the process of learning it. It's like the moment when I first managed to juggle three balls at once*, or any other skill I practiced hard for. More than that, those moments are quite frequent for my languages, and they're accompanied by quite a nice little endorphin rush.
Of course it's not bad when I can congratulate myself for having persevered for some time and achieved some goal but honestly? My main motivation is the excitement I feel in those moments when I can't even yet believe that what I'm doing can be real. And my secondary motivation is the pleasure I gain directly from the activity in question.

*never managed to do four at a time, sadly.

Préposition
Diglot
France
aspectualpairs.wordp
Joined 4924 days ago

186 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 7 of 16
27 January 2011 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
The fact that I feel like a failure if I give up.
7 persons have voted this message useful

ratis
Hexaglot
Germany
Joined 4913 days ago

28 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Italian, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Czech, Japanese
Studies: Hindi

Message 8 of 16
27 January 2011 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
I don't primarily learn languages to be able to communicate actively but because I want
to understand as much as possible. So each time I stumble upon something in one of my
target languages, I either get a motivation boost because I'm glad I understand it, or if
I don't, it fuels my desire to learn more. Except for when I'm overworked and tired.
Sometimes you just need a break.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version