Groupie
United States
Joined 4972 days ago

49 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 1 of 7
29 January 2011 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
The slightest bit of knowledge that you think you're never, ever going to use, you will
use it. I didn't find this just in language. Whenever I learn about something I didn't
know before in history class or something, I start noticing references to it everywhere.
Things are much more common than you make them out to be in your mind. I've been
learning Japanese Kanji, and I think that I will rarely use most of these words, but then
I go to some actual Japanese book and I see them everywhere! It reminds me of one thing
a person said in Spanish class . . . he went to a place where Spanish was spoken (I don't
remember where) and he said he rarely had trouble with grammar concepts we learn in class
because it didn't really come up. I therefore think it doesn't take a very advanced
knowledge of a language to communicate with others in that language. There should be
some sort of mark of what level you have to be to communicate about the majority of
things easily. I don't think it really takes much.
1 person has voted this message useful

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5770 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 2 of 7
29 January 2011 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
Thantophobia wrote:
There should be
some sort of mark of what level you have to be to communicate about the majority of

TID=24783&PN=2">Nonsense.

p.s. What on Earth is wrong with links on this forum? Spaces always show up in the url
address.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5130 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 3 of 7
29 January 2011 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
lichtrausch wrote:
Thantophobia wrote:
There should be

Don't spread nonsense

p.s. What on Earth is wrong with links on this forum? Spaces always show up in the url
address.

I totally agree with lichtrausch.

Thantophobia wrote:
The slightest bit of knowledge that you think you're never, ever going to use, you will use it.

While this might be true for some bits of knowledge, most of the things that you think you'll never ever use, you actually will never, ever use.

Thantophobia wrote:
I therefore think it doesn't take a very advanced
knowledge of a language to communicate with others in that language.

Only if you and the person that you're talking to are OK with Tarzan speak.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5576 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 7
29 January 2011 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
lichtrausch wrote:
address.

Use the 'link' icon above the text entry field.

OP, I have to say that I disagree. First of all, it doesn't take much to be able to have conversations with native speakers about most topics - as long as the native speaker is willing to engage in foreigner talk and bear the brunt for the both of you to keep the conversation flowing. Then, it's no surprise that you notice newly learnt items all the time. The reason you're surprised is that you had some misconceptions about their frequency. Basically, people ignore the things they can't understand as long as they can get away with ignoring them. But there's no way to measure the times you've ignored something! Just yesterday I realized that in a song I've been listening to for years, the word やがて was used. If you had asked me before, I would have guessed that I never had heard the word before I learnt it consciously two weeks ago.

By the way, my experience with Spanish speakers is that the majority is extremely patient with foreigners. I was rarely corrected directly, either, so I would guess that some people might end up believing that they are actually really good at Spanish when they talk to native speakers.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5036 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 5 of 7
30 January 2011 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
Mmmh.

Stereotype Tarzan-like communication is certainly possible (better than nothing), but equally certainly not desirable (worse than something) as you need to communicate at higher levels. So, please.

Every bit of knowledge you get is potentially useful, depending on situations. You never can tell, although you can get pretty good at guessing over time. If you're good enough you can spare yourself some crap and learn the good bits.

However, most people are (or start off as) incredibly bad at this--they simply don't perceive that potential and discard not only useless things, but a good deal of useful stuff as well; that's why they ignore whatever they can't understand as long as they can get away with it: they think 'I'll never bump into this again, so why bother to learn it?'.

Amazingly frequent among language (I'd say most kinds of) learners, and incredibly stupid.

One myth I have to debunk regularly.

Unfortunately the best method I've found when someone (a student) tells you 'oh, this is too XYZ. I won't possibly need it ever in my life.' is to say 'ok, lets pretend you understand this thing perfectly. How? with this (very good) translation. Now, are you telling me there are any 12-years-olds that wouldn't know such-and-such, or that you would be impressed by any foreigner that knew it? Come on'.

That sparks some epiphany moments, sometimes. However, improvement suggestions are welcome :)

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 6 of 7
30 January 2011 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
The reason you're surprised is that you had some misconceptions about their frequency. Basically, people ignore the things they can't understand as long as they can get away with ignoring them. But there's no way to measure the times you've ignored something!

Exactly!

I always demonstrate this point with "small world".

You work in a big city. You walk past hundreds of people you don't know every day. Within a week, you've walked past thousands. Then one day, after a year of living in that city, you see someone you went to school with.

"Well, well," you say, "fancy running into you here. It's a small world, isn't it?"

The many thousands of people you have encountered are ignored, because they are meaningless to you. But that one guy among thousands is so significant that you notice him.

That's how the human brain works.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5191 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 7 of 7
31 January 2011 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Bao wrote:
The reason you're surprised is that you had some misconceptions about their frequency. Basically, people ignore the things they can't understand as long as they can get away with ignoring them. But there's no way to measure the times you've ignored something!

Exactly!

I always demonstrate this point with "small world".

You work in a big city. You walk past hundreds of people you don't know every day. Within a week, you've walked past thousands. Then one day, after a year of living in that city, you see someone you went to school with.

"Well, well," you say, "fancy running into you here. It's a small world, isn't it?"

The many thousands of people you have encountered are ignored, because they are meaningless to you. But that one guy among thousands is so significant that you notice him.

That's how the human brain works.

The Forer or Barnum effect. Made a lot of fortune tellers rich.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version