Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
RIchieP
United Kingdom
Joined 4862 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 2
29 January 2011 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Outcome: Speak and comprehend an acceptable level of German by the time I arrive in Berlin in April. Hit the ground running speaking German when I get off the plane, and then build on that and take my fluency it as far as I can during my time in Berlin.

My definition of acceptable:

-No problem whatsoever with day-to-day tasks ( taxi, food, accomodation, etc)
-Ability to converse, joke and hang out with German speakers in social situations
-Good comprehension - understand well what is said to me in conversation, and understand the gist of conversations between Germans

I guess this is somewhere around B1/B2 according to CEFR criteria.

Materials studied so far:

Michel Thomas Foundation

Materials Lined up:

MT Language Builder
MT Advanced Course
Assimil

Once I've got MT out the way and laid a grammatical foundation, I'm going to "furnish the house" so to speak with the listening and vocab from Assimil. I'm aiming to plow through as much as possible before I land in Berlin. Hopefully I'll manage an average of more than one lesson a day with Assimil and hit the ground with conversational ability.

That's the challenge - time to get cracking. Wish me luck!

1 person has voted this message useful

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4933 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 2 of 2
09 February 2011 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
Good luck! I'll be following your log :) I hope you achieve your goals!
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version