19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2

Slacker
Diglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5264 days ago

62 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English
Studies: German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Arabic (classical)
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 19
06 February 2011 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
Merv wrote:
You're tackling a lot at once. ... Perhaps focusing on only
one would bring fruit sooner.

Don't fall for it! When I was your age I took beginning Russian and beginning Italian at the same time in college
and it was great (I got a "C" in Russian, and a "D" in Italian, but I was also taking about 5 other non-languages
classes... so all-in-all not that bad :)

...plus the cool-points are through the roof.

-Slacker

Edited by Slacker on 06 February 2011 at 4:45am

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 19
06 February 2011 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
Hi, I have enjoyed reading your log, and we seem to share the same languages. French I finished years ago, but I am still struggling with the accents, in German I can speak but I need to read a lot more to get more confidence in the language, and in Russian I am at a "advanced beginner" stage.

I am on one of the Russian teams, so I try to keap an eye out for everyone who does Russian. We seem to be quite a lot here on the forum, which is a nice change from the real world where I am considered a freak for doing Russian. Are you planning to do it entirely on your own with no teaching at all, or is your plan to start on your own to get an edge, and then join in a class later on? Which resourses do you use for Russian?

Good luck, I'll be following your log.

Mysteryfaith
United Kingdom
Joined 4858 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, French

Message 19 of 19
07 February 2011 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Slacker wrote:
...plus the cool-points are through the roof.

Couldn't agree more! :D If anything it's worth it for the cool-points! xDD
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Are you planning to do it entirely on your own with no teaching at all, or is your plan to start on your own to get an edge, and then join in a class later on? Which resourses do you use for Russian?

Well, I'm learning it on my own which is unfortunate, but if there is a night class available in my area I'd definitely go for it. :) I agree, it's great to be talking with people who don't think Russian is a complete waste of time! xDD The resources I use are (so far ;D):
- Russian to English/English to Russian dictionary
- First 1000 Words in Russian (Osbourne book)
- Basic Phrases in Russian
- Learn Russian in 10 minutes a day (Bilingual Books Inc.) - although I go through more than 10 minutes a day, then stop learning for a couple of days to review. xPP)

RANDOM FACT
Did you know that learning a new language can prevent Alzheimer's disease? :)

GERMAN
Four words: trinke, I hate you. Trinke is the most awkward flippin' word in that language. (Of course it's not - but y'know, it could've just been like every other word, but no, it has to be different. Darn you, trinke!!)

FRENCH
Oh Lordy, one problem I'm having with French and Russian is where I'm going to learn grammar and sentence structure from. With German, that's covered, because it's in school, but I know nothing about the grammar of French and Russian. And some say it's better to just learn set sentences which you can change once you get good enough... any tips?

RUSSIAN:
The alphabet is covered! ...Or, uh, the first seven letters. BUT THAT'S OKAY, because I can do it in groups of seven... that's cool... I guess...

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version