Turkey
livinginlights.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6936 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: English*, SwedishB1
Studies: Turkish

Message 25 of 62
17 March 2006 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
I'm also female, if you couldn't guess from the name. :)

I do find it odd that most language classes seem to be dominated by women, yet the vast majority of, for example, posters here- a serious language forum- appear to be men. To some extent, I buy into the theory that women are more interested in the utility of languages while men seek to learn them for their own sake. Of course, it's a little harder for me to embrace this viewpoint since I myself constitute an exception; although I'm a girl, the fascination of languages for me lies in the words themselves and the process by which the "gibberish" becomes intelligible, rather than what use I have for them.

Akira: "Also, I'm simply amazed/awed by the rigorous learning regime some of you follow. I love languages but I also love my violin. I think I will go nuts if I spent all my spare minutes learning languages..."

I have only one other obsession, traveling, and it fortunately fits the first like a glove. I don't have to choose between them or divide my time, because each is like a facet of the other.

1 person has voted this message useful

timinstl
Triglot
Groupie
United States
timsviajes.com
Joined 6929 days ago

88 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 26 of 62
17 March 2006 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
I'm a male who is very obsessed with languages. One of my biggest problems is taking on too many languages at one time. I speak pretty good Spanish, decent conversatinal French, once spoke German, and am now learning Mandarin Chinese. On top of these I really want to learn Russian.

Without suggesting anything about the other members of this forum and certainly not meant to offend anyone, I wanted to know if anyone has come to any conclusions about homosexual men and whether or not they have more interest and ability to learn another language than heterosexual men? I am gay and several of my friends who are also gay, speak more than one language. Most of the men in my upper-level language classes have also been homosexual. What's more is that most homosexual women I know are like most of the heterosexual men I know--one language bound. Does anyone else find this interesting or to have any merit? Do Gay men and straight women learn easier than gay women and straight men?

winters
Trilingual Heptaglot
Italy
Joined 6856 days ago

199 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, Serbian*, Russian*, English, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Greek, French, Hungarian

Message 27 of 62
17 March 2006 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
I am female, and quite obsessed with language learning. Many times at school I have had the chance to notice how, in general, girls tend to pick languages - both modern and classical ones - more 'naturally' and seem to be better at them than their male friends. Also, as I've been attending language competitions (the regular school competitions, just like in math or physics), I have noticed that the majority of participants were girls as well, but when it came to the top few, usually there was an equal number of boys and girls. Only my observations, though.

Paul
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6933 days ago

114 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German
Studies: Italian

Message 28 of 62
17 March 2006 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
winters wrote:
I am female, and quite obsessed with language
learning. Many times at school I have had the chance to notice how, in
general, girls tend to pick languages - both modern and classical ones -
more 'naturally' and seem to be better at them than their male friends.
Also, as I've been attending language competitions (the regular school
competitions, just like in math or physics), I have noticed that the
majority of participants were girls as well, but when it came to the top
few, usually there was an equal number of boys and girls. Only my
observations, though.

Very interesting. I read somewhere that the differences between boys and
girls chosing languages at school may come down to social pressures at
those ages. From what i remember, boys at that age tend to be much
more self-conscious, and thus probably more embarrassed about trying
to speak languages than girls.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6827 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 62
17 March 2006 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
@timinstl: No offence meant, but I cannot see that homosexuality has anything to do with language learning, regardless of your personal observations. I have a gay friend who is extremely interested in languages and can speak at least five fluently. Alternatively, I have other friends (both male and female) who are straight and who are also fluent in a few languages.

@Paul: From my teaching experience, it seems to me that girls rather than boys are more reluctant to speak in class.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sierra
Diglot
Turkey
Joined 6936 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 

Message 30 of 62
17 March 2006 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
Patuco, you just took the words right out of my mouth, on both counts. I would agree wholeheartedly on both of your points: My experience, too, shows that boys tend to speak up more in language classes, and I rather doubt that homosexuality has much of anything to do with language ability.
2 persons have voted this message useful

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6702 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 31 of 62
17 March 2006 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
Paul wrote:
Very interesting. I read somewhere that the differences between boys and girls chosing languages at school may come down to social pressures at those ages. From what i remember, boys at that age tend to be much more self-conscious, and thus probably more embarrassed about trying to speak languages than girls.

I must be the exception to the rule! I was always very shy to speak languages in class and I'm still fairly reluctant to speak the several I have learnt. I consider myself a passive learner and have always focused on being able to read the language than speak it.

From my own experiences, my Chinese classes at university were roughly 50/50 and the most confident in class were in fact male. Perhaps this changes according to age? I can imagine that teenage boys may be less confident (or perhaps less interested) with languages than men in their 20s.

Sierra
Diglot
Turkey
Joined 6936 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 

Message 32 of 62
18 March 2006 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
lady skywalker: Although I said earlier that boys were, in my experience, more likely to speak up in class, your post made me reconsider this. I bet individual personality is by far the biggest determining factor in this case. Gender probably has something to do with it, but I imagine it's secondary or tertiary.

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version