Groupie
United States
Joined 6254 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: French

Message 1 of 9
01 February 2011 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Here is a link to some language proficiency tests, good luck to everyone!

http://www.transparent.com/language-resources/tests.html
3 persons have voted this message useful

Desacrator48
Groupie
United States
Joined 5118 days ago

93 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 2 of 9
02 February 2011 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
I just took the Spanish test.

Test itself is not bad...a good quiz more or less of your current skill levels, not really a test because a test would be more comprehensive.

Didn't do terribly well though: got an overall score of 75%.

Of the 3 sections of grammar, vocabulary, and reading comprehension, I did pretty good at grammar, decent at reading, and not so good at vocabulary.

However, I wouldn't classify myself as an advanced beginner as this evaluation tells me. I'm more intermediate when you include my listening and speaking skills, which this quiz did not include.

Also, I think the label this website gives on upon grading you purposely grades you down so as to make you think you need more work by coming to their website. For example, I submitted a 100% correct response after this, and it said I was at the intermediate level.

This is completely bogus because if you got ALL 50 of these questions right, a rarity I'm sure, you are definitely at solid advanced level.

Still recommend you try it though just for fun. Just ignore the label it gives you.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5576 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 3 of 9
02 February 2011 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
I took the German quiz for fun and it told me I'm at an intermediate level. I don't think it actually downgrades, but that the quiz lacks questions that go beyond intermediate.
There's a placement test for DELE exam prep courses online which I took some time ago which was much more conclusive. I don't remember where I took it, but it had one set of questions for each level, beginning with A1 and getting proceedingly more difficult. If you got a certain percentage of a set right, you could proceed to the next, if not, you got the level you hadn't mastered yet as the level you should take a course at.
Does anyone know which quiz I'm talking about? It would be kind of interesting to have a number of people take both tests and compare the results ...
1 person has voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5145 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 4 of 9
02 February 2011 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
Apart from the fact that I am apparently at an intermediate level in my native language, the Dutch test also includes two "incorrect sentences" that are perfectly grammatical.

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6759 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 5 of 9
02 February 2011 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
I got a 95% in Japanese and an 87% in German.
I agree that the test probably doesn't downgrade, but that it is only meant to test until
the intermediate level, because it would be a lot more work to design questions to test
the advanced/native level.

It was pretty frustrating that it gives you the letter of the correct answer (#6 is
incorrect: You chose a. The correct answer is d.) but clears the form if
you navigate back to check what the question actually was! If you want to check your
answers, either write/copy/print the evaluation before viewing the quiz again, or try
opening the "Evaluate" link in a new tab/window after filling in the quiz if it lets you.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 02 February 2011 at 5:42am

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5935 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 6 of 9
02 February 2011 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
Hmm. 69% in Japanese.   Beginner it says.   Yeah, I don't really claim intermediate for Japanese yet. So I'll buy that.

ReachingOut
Pentaglot
Groupie
Greece
Joined 5047 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, GreekB2, French, Romanian
Studies: Italian

Message 7 of 9
02 February 2011 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
I took the German quiz for fun and it told me I'm at an intermediate level. I don't think it actually downgrades, but that the quiz lacks questions that go beyond intermediate.
There's a placement test for DELE exam prep courses online which I took some time ago which was much more conclusive. I don't remember where I took it, but it had one set of questions for each level, beginning with A1 and getting proceedingly more difficult. If you got a certain percentage of a set right, you could proceed to the next, if not, you got the level you hadn't mastered yet as the level you should take a course at.
Does anyone know which quiz I'm talking about? It would be kind of interesting to have a number of people take both tests and compare the results ...

The Goethe-Institut also has a self-evaluation test here you might like to try.

http://www.goethe.de/ins/gr/ath/lrn/prf/akt/deindex.htm

You need to go to "Testen Sie Ihr Deutsch" to take the test.
It goes to a higher level, up to proficiency. I got 28/30 on the Goethe-Institut one and 98% on this one (one mistake)

Edited by ReachingOut on 02 February 2011 at 1:23pm

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5576 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 8 of 9
02 February 2011 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Oh, I forgot to mention that DELE is for Spanish, and I also took the Spanish quiz. Which rated me as an advanced beginner. Okay, well.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version