starrye
United States
Joined 4854 days ago

172 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 9 of 12
16 February 2011 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
As others have said, it definitely sounds like you prefer either Arabic or Japanese. I have never studied Arabic so I can't comment on that one.

But it appears you have already started on Japanese, and still have a high interest... so, perhaps take another crack at Japanese, before giving up on it? There are some different approaches and methods out there for learning kanji, if that is what is giving you grief. Perhaps if you share a little bit about what materials you own, and how you've been going about learning, then maybe we can help.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6709 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 10 of 12
16 February 2011 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
You've been learning kanji in a class, likely with a native Japanese speaker as a
teacher, right? Native Japanese-speaking teachers seem to think it's their job to make
kanji as tedious and confusing as possible. You can get a lot of great things out of
Japanese classes, but I don't recommend depending on them to learn kanji.

Let me add that in my opinion, the kanji are what makes Japanese poetry and prose so
beautiful! They add a dimension of expression that isn't possible in an alphabetic
language, or maybe even in Chinese (I'm talking about the writer's freedom in assigning
any pronunciation he/she wishes to a specific character).

Although I haven't read it myself, I hear that "Crazy for Kanji"

http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Kanji-Students-Wonderful-
Characters/dp/1933330201/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297 829022&sr=8-1
(remove any spaces)

is a great book for inspiring enthusiasm with regard to learning the kanji.

Also, I really love the articles linked on the front page of this site

http://kanjidamage.com/

if you need some convincing that the most complex thing about kanji is the ridiculous
way in which it's traditionally taught. (Rated PG-13 for language and sexual innuendo)

Best of luck to you with whatever you end up deciding to study.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5022 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 11 of 12
16 February 2011 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
You are a poet? Some of the most wonderful poetry in the world is in Spanish- Pablo Neruda, Federico García Lorca, Rubén Dario, José Martí, Gioconda Belli.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Leftcoaster
Diglot
China
Joined 4791 days ago

22 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Russian

Message 12 of 12
16 February 2011 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
As a hard-core addict to the short story format, I've also found that a lot of the Spanish (especially latin American)
literature out there is some of the best in the world. Plus, once you have the pronunciation down reading is a
breeze. Of course, there's a host of other reasons to chose Spanish as your second language so don't write it off
yet!

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version