Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5844 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 9 of 24
04 February 2011 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
Kartof wrote:
Bulgarian uses a version of Cyrillic that is almost completely phonetic so every letter corresponds to exactly one
sound. The letter combinations aren't too difficult either but some people have trouble with the mobile stress and
the slavic "r" sound.

I know some French people learning Bulgarian, and they're telling me the pronunciation is one of the nastier bits; From that point of view Russian is easier, because it has a softer sound to it, kind of closer to French. If we have to extrapolate, I'm guessing it would be the same for anglophones.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Diglot
Groupie
Colombia
Joined 4853 days ago

48 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English

Message 10 of 24
04 February 2011 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
User Kartof: How easier can bulgarian be respecting to russian pronunciation ? ... anyways, Bulgarian is just spoken in Bulgaria (and maybe near zones)... It doesn't mean I'm understimating Bulgary but, ... is not exactly what I'm looking for.

User Bao: I know you're right, but...
Chinese:
* 4 Tones... the 1st and the 2nd seem easy (normal and asking respectively) but 3rd and 4th ... I don't know if google translator is bad.working for chinese but...
word "wo" (I) -3rd tone- I thought it was pronounced like "uo" or like "ua" (uo as in Spanish, not like in English were the final "o" sounds "ou" or portuguese where sounds like "u") but it seems to be "uo-a"
or "Ní hao" ... I don't know what tone is it but... I hate how it sounds: "nihauu" xD
* Dislike Comunism.
* Is not too extended (let's imagine China disappear... chinese became nothing)
* China (and in general that part of Asia) is a carnivore country... as a vegan I won't like living there (or working for them) ...
* Variants of Chinese are unintelligible ... Mandarin, Cantonese, Wu, etc... and Simplified vs Traditional is also a problem (I've heard Taiwan and in general all the chinese international comunity use traditional-and sometimes cantonese- while continental China uses simplified )
* This one is not exactly a reason, is nearest to be a question, but... Why will China be a World Potency ? Chinese-made things are garbage (I mean, they last at maximum one year ... they're disposable ... -low prices but low quality-)

Russian:
* Comunist country ... I wouldn't like to work for a government who confiscate your money and your properties ... and out from the "comunist zone" ... russian is not too useful. (No problem with comunist people, but won't like to be there... I prefer capitalism and conservative ideas.
* I've never heard about how useful russian can be, so I think I'm a bit uninformed.

Arabic:
* Love that language, but Wikipedia and a lot of websites I've read say arabic is totally different from Morrocco to Saudi Arabia (they say egiptian version is a good one, but I'm not sure...) so I suposse the advantage of learning arabic is not so "advantageous".
* In the book "the man who calculated" ... in one of the notes say: "alif is a kind of "a", very common letter in arabic, and it's hard to masterize for western people" in online arabic courses is said that the sound aproximates if you pronounce "A" while you take your neck and press it a bit ... so if I won't be able to imitate their sounds, I guess will be better not to learn their language ... also arabic have a lot of sounds wich "don't exist" in any other language, soo... how the * will I learn that ?

French:
* I dislike French, that simple.
* A crazy language to be "romance" ...
Latin -      Aqua
Spanish -    Agua
Italian -    Aqua
Portuguese - Agua
Rumanian -   Apă
French -     Eau (?)
* It's pronunciation is damn stupid (excuse me french people not feel ofended) ... as I read in a boook, If you listen to a word that you don't know in french, hardly you'll guess how to write it (an analogously... if you see a word you don't know, you won't know how to pronounce it)

What I want to learn a language for ?
Job oportunities... This year (14th march) I'll start studying systems engineering and I want to learn at least 2 or 3 languages in order or increase job oportunities. I've heard German is a good language for engineers, but I'm not sure if that includes systems one... anyways, I like the German gross sound of words... well, the reason is that, and maybe for culture (reading websites in foreign languages... Spanish sadly is poor in knowledge websites -at least wikipedia in Spanish need a lot of articles avaliables in other wikipedias... I had to use English, deutsch and catalá wikipedia for my chemistry grade job in school :| ...)
User Sennin: I'm confused... so, bulgarian is harder than russian :? how about hispano-phones ?

Thanks all 3, vote all
1 person has voted this message useful

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5305 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 11 of 24
04 February 2011 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
There are some languages I find pleasant to listen to and somehow believe to be 'similar' in sound. Spanish is one of them, so are Japanese, Finnish, Hawaiian and Tagalog. I'm not sure what it exactly are the features that these languages share, but it might be in the lines of small vowel inventory, small consonant inventory, few or no consonant clusters or triphtongs, no vowel reduction in unstressed position, no tone etc.

The links are to the omniglot pages for these languages; each of them has a sample recording. You could just listen to them and the try how easy or difficult you find repeating the sentences. (Finnish and Tagalog are a bit faster than the other two but it should still give you a first impression, I think?)

The guy in the Finnish sample has a slight speech impediment. I believe his r sound would qualify a Finnish schoolchild for speech therapy. A good enough sample of Finnish, though :)

Edited by Marikki on 04 February 2011 at 2:53pm

arturs
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 5081 days ago

278 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian, English

Message 12 of 24
04 February 2011 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
98789 wrote:

Russian:
* Comunist country ... I wouldn't like to work for a government who confiscate your money and your properties ... and out from the "comunist zone" ... russian is not too useful. (No problem with comunist people, but won't like to be there... I prefer capitalism and conservative ideas.
* I've never heard about how useful russian can be, so I think I'm a bit uninformed.

Arabic:
* Love that language, but Wikipedia and a lot of websites I've read say arabic is totally different from Morrocco to Saudi Arabia (they say egiptian version is a good one, but I'm not sure...) so I suposse the advantage of learning arabic is not so "advantageous".
* In the book "the man who calculated" ... in one of the notes say: "alif is a kind of "a", very common letter in arabic, and it's hard to masterize for western people" in online arabic courses is said that the sound aproximates if you pronounce "A" while you take your neck and press it a bit ... so if I won't be able to imitate their sounds, I guess will be better not to learn their language ... also arabic have a lot of sounds wich "don't exist" in any other language, soo... how the * will I learn that ?

I like how many people think that Russia still is a communist state. Nowadays it's a very capitalist state. Many things are private property. Even some Americans admit that Russians are 10x more capitalist than Americans themselves.

As for Arabic, if you want to learn it, you should still learn Modern Standard Arabic, because it is used in the media, etc, but the dialects are used in everyday communication between people and usually they don't have material on certain dialects like you would have for the standard variety. Yes, there are some courses, but if you look at them, they all use romanization, because dialects sometimes have many irregular pronunciation rules.

Alif is not a hard letter - it can be pronounced as a simple A, or I, or U. The letter that you are talking about is the "ayn" which only seems hard for westerners. And why are you so sceptical about sounds that don't exist in other languages? That's why you're LEARNING the language to learn those sounds and be familiar with them. Arabs appreciate that you're trying to learn their language and won't say anything bad.

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5844 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 13 of 24
04 February 2011 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
98789 wrote:
User Sennin: I'm confused... so, bulgarian is harder than russian :? how about hispano-phones ?

I can't say anything about Spanish speakers; It's best to compare for yourself:

http://www.omniglot.com/soundfiles/udhr/udhr_ru.mp3
http://www.omniglot.com/soundfiles/udhr/udhr_bg.mp3

My point was that Russian is closer to French phonetically, and that (hypothetically) should make it easier for francophones. I can't explain it in precise terms, its just that the sounds are similar. In any case Slavic languages are probably not the easiest.

Edited by Sennin on 04 February 2011 at 3:53pm

Cthulhu
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 7033 days ago

139 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin, Russian

Message 14 of 24
04 February 2011 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
I have heard a lot of reasons why people don't want to study Chinese, but this is the absolute first I've ever heard "China is a carnivore country". I mean, seriously? Seriously? People are actually giving earnest advice about languages to a person who says things like that?

Diglot
Groupie
Colombia
Joined 4853 days ago

48 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English

Message 15 of 24
04 February 2011 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Cthulhu wrote:
I have heard a lot of reasons why people don't want to study Chinese, but this is the absolute first I've ever heard "China is a carnivore country". I mean, seriously? Seriously? People are actually giving earnest advice about languages to a person who says things like that?

Why do you think is that a bad reason ? a non-sense one ? I'm vegan and I won't like to live in a country where everything have meat (and learning chinese is to go to China travelling, living or working... if not, you're just too free-time or like to waste your time) ... problem ? ... I've heard people who say they don't want to travel to Colombia because of Guerrilla, I think It's a similar reason and it's respetable ...
If you're not going to help, simply leave the post and all happy... oK ?

Salute.

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5844 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 16 of 24
04 February 2011 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
98789 wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:

Why do you think is that a bad reason ? a non-sense one ? I'm vegan and I won't like to live in a country where everything have meat (and learning chinese is to go to China travelling, living or working... if not, you're just too free-time or like to waste your time) ... problem ? ... I've heard people who say they don't want to travel to Colombia because of Guerrilla, I think It's a similar reason and it's respetable ...
If you're not going to help, simply leave the post and all happy... oK ?

Salute.

Actually, traditional Chinese cuisine uses a lot of vegetables. It's not 100% vegan but you can fit in easily. Westerners are by far the biggest meat-eaters, perhaps also the Arabs / Middle east people.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version