Groupie
Italy
Joined 5116 days ago

92 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Russian, Latvian

Message 9 of 10
23 February 2011 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
By chance I was reading some articles on the Financial Times website and found this article from 2007 which contains the following reference to Eco's English ability, so I thought I'd post it as a curiosity:

"Among the titles Eco wrote down, devotees of his work will spot references to some favourite themes (he once said that Oscar Wilde deserved to go to prison for the appalling prose in his love letters), and will not be surprised that he adds lightly that it is of course a tease, "a little ox". (An ox? I have a moment of wild confusion before the light dawns. Eco's English is highly expressive but strongly accented: he means a hoax.)"

Edited by etracher on 23 February 2011 at 4:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Luk
Triglot
Groupie
Argentina
Joined 5117 days ago

91 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian, German, Mandarin, Greek

Message 10 of 10
17 May 2011 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
I saw one an interview of Eco about The Da Vinci Code (he did not like it let me tell you) and yes, he spoke very well but with a little accent. Some while ago, I heard a radio podcast "La danse des mots" from RFI about the french translation of his last novel (he likes to view the translation before it goes public), and they say he speaks french very well.
On the other hand, I watched another interview (on youtube) in German and he needed a translator.
My guess is that he can read romances languagues with no much trouble.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version