genini1
United States
Joined 5279 days ago

114 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 3
06 February 2011 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Several times in the past I have created a journal to catalog my endeavors and it usually ended after a few weeks, I would still continue to learn I just didn't record it. This time I intend to keep up with the log as the year progresses with weekly posts, probably on Sundays.
Japanese
Far and away my most concentrated upon language. My original goal was to be able to read manga in their original language. If I use a dictionary I can but I would prefer to be able to do it without one. I've started reading at least one wikipedia article a day (sometimes it takes me two if I get distracted by link clicking) today's is on deep sea fish and I think I'll do the planets for the rest of the week. I'm also about to hit 4,000 done out of the core 6,000 from smart.fm which I am really excited about though I've started trying to think about what I'll focus on once I finish.
German
I took two semesters of German in High School and after that did almost nothing with the language, other than lower my final exam grade in French in my college course as I was so nervous I broke out into German rather than French. I've always enjoyed the language though and since I've already learned a good amount and just need to dust off the cobwebs I've been reading a Neue Horizonte textbook.
For the past month or so I've been spending 30 minutes a day on German, reviewing grammar and what not in addition to learning 10 words a day(which is my minimum goal for all my languages this year, learn 10 words a day). I'll continue this pattern as long as possible with at least 30 minutes a day of German work, probably with Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen.
Mandarin
As most people here do I occasionally pick up another language just because it seems interesting and with no really goal of eventually becoming fluent. This time it's Mandarin because I really enjoyed learning Kanji for Japanese and with Mandarin there will be a lot more. I had also heard it was a tonal language and I was curious as to how hard that would actually be to learn.
I've only had Mandarin for about a week now and am currently concentrating on learning pinyin as good as possible. After having to spend hours correcting my Japanese pronunciation due to my slovenly habits I now start learning a language with 0 grammar or vocabulary and just pronunciation.
Other
While I intend to spend 30 minutes a day on Mandarin and German and two hours a day on Japanese occasionally other languages may come in and out for a short or perhaps a protracted stay. French and Greek are seeming interesting right now for some reason but I refuse to start (or in the case of French restart) them while I am starting Mandarin. If after a month I still want to learn them then I'll take them up then.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
Thomas Jefferson
1 person has voted this message useful

genini1
United States
Joined 5279 days ago

114 posts - 161 votes 

Message 2 of 3
08 February 2011 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Summary:
Monday February 7, 2011
Japanese
Read the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone as well as the wikipedia article on Mercury. Hit 4/6k on the core 6k.
German
Read the first half of chapter one of Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone using the Japanese version as a guide which went fairly well. Chapter 10 of Neue Horizonte on reflexive pronouns.
Mandarin
The first lesson of Pimsleur twice, though I'm not sure how long I'll be able to take listening to Pimsleur.

genini1
United States
Joined 5279 days ago

114 posts - 161 votes 

Message 3 of 3
10 February 2011 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
Wednesday february 9 2011
Japanese:
Focused on the vocab from yesterday and read the article on venus
German:
chapter 11 neue horizonte
Mandarin:
Pimsleur 2 ( already hating pimsleur and will probably switch soon)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version