Groupie
United States
Joined 6829 days ago

76 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 6
30 March 2006 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone tried this series? I have searched this board, but could not find any discussion of these course. Do these courses use a book or are they entirely on CD, like the Learn in Your Car series?
1 person has voted this message useful

monax
United Kingdom
Joined 6652 days ago

39 posts - 40 votes
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 2 of 6
30 March 2006 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
I picked up a version of Instant Immersion German for about $30 a couple months ago. It was 6 or 8 audio CDs, two CD-ROMs, and a workbook.

The workbook was a simple 15-ish lesson introduction to German, with a conversation, vocabulary and some exercises for each one. The CD-ROMs were just a couple short and simple games. I only listened to the first 2 audio CDs or so -- they were mildly useful.

In summary, it's a *very* basic introduction to the language that will not take you very far at all. I would say it was a waste, except that it was so cheap.

So if you're looking for a quick, cheap, and basic introduction to a language it could be worth the low price (though I'd sooner go with a Pimsleur short course), but it is definitely not a tool for serious or extensive language learning.

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6494 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 3 of 6
15 October 2006 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
There seem to be two types of II courses - one CD-Rom based, and one audio-CD based. I've tried the latter, but I did not use it for long, as I didn't fancy how the words were said in the target language before they were said in English.

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6362 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 4 of 6
23 August 2008 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
My warning: The Chinese Deluxe v3.0 version from Instant Immersion is next to worthless. Very disappointed!!

$30 thrown away.

lang_lang
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes

Message 5 of 6
05 September 2008 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
I liked the Spanish version. I bought it so many years ago, however, so I am sure it had been updated. I actually got a basic and advanced version. I thought they were equally helpful. I hope this helps.

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6282 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 6 of 6
15 September 2008 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
I hate the Instant Immersion series. There is simply no point to buying them. If it's audio CDs you're looking for, listen to a podcast online instead. Or if you're looking for software... well... just don't. I don't think there's any good language software on the market at all (at least, not any that's worth the money). If there is, it's certainly not this.

Here is my detailed review of it on Amazon if you want to know why I hate it so much.

- Kef

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version