14 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
czech
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

395 posts - 378 votes 
Studies: English*

Message 1 of 14
22 March 2005 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know any? I have not seen any courses on Mandarin worth buying and I guess it isn't a popular language. Does FSI make any? Like FX says in his stories, the only way to learn is with lots of tapes, not a "ShortCut Method."

Any recommendations or tips on this language?
1 person has voted this message useful

blackr00t
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 7012 days ago

40 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, French

Message 2 of 14
22 March 2005 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
EDITED [Hey,]

I'm in the middle of my 8th month learning Mandarin, and with resources I used, I've found them very helpful. I started out doing a run through Pimsleur's Mandarin I, II, and III (finishing now) ... in the meantime, I bought textbooks such as Colloquial Chinese (with CDs) and New Practical Chinese Reader. I think if you try some of these out you'll find success.

By the way, I also started making my own flash cards including all the components (character, pinyin, radical, translation, simp/trad. forms) This helped me because I dont think there are too many commercial flash card products which has all of this.

Eventually I'm thinking about doing pimsleur I,II, and III all over again just to perfect what I missed along tthe way and work on pronuncation. The FSI module programs are supposed to be good as well. Hope that helps.

- Jeremy

Edited by administrator on 23 March 2005 at 12:01am

Malcolm
Triglot
Retired Moderator
Korea, South
Joined 7125 days ago

500 posts - 515 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 3 of 14
22 March 2005 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
I used Pimsleur Mandarin I-III, then went straight into conversation with native speakers. To learn grammar and characters, I used several sets of Chinese readers from The Beijing Language and Culture University Press (e.g. Practical Chinese Reader), Yale (Defrancis Series, Mirror Series), and Princeton.

In hindsight, it would have helped to have another audio course as a bridge between Pimsleur and real conversation. One of the courses I'd recommend for this is Living Language Ultimate Mandarin, which I discussed in another thread, and Colloquial Chinese, which blackr00t mentioned. There are actually two edtions of the latter course: the older one is more serious and generally better while the newer one is easier and less thorough.

Polyglot2005
United States
Joined 6998 days ago

184 posts - 185 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 14
22 March 2005 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
I believe there is a course similar to FSI for Mandarin Chinese. I think that Francois has those tapes.

czech
United States
Joined 7004 days ago

395 posts - 378 votes 
Studies: English*

Message 5 of 14
22 March 2005 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Francois speaks mandarin?

Malcolm
Triglot
Retired Moderator
Korea, South
Joined 7125 days ago

500 posts - 515 votes 
5 sounds

Message 6 of 14
22 March 2005 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
I suspect that Francois speaks a bit of Mandarin, though I doubt we'll get him to admit it! He said earlier that he has access to the tapes, and will possibly work on converting them. I have a section of this course and I'm almost done converting it. I wouldn't recommend it as an introduction to Mandarin.

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7186 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 14
23 March 2005 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
I do not speak Mandardin at all although I watched many Kung Fu movies from Shaw Brothers and mainland China.

But a friend of mine has all the Defense Language Institute tapes for Mandarin and I have seen them. This is the most complete course you can get, with over 100 tapes in all. It is not very 'commercial' and they look like declassified government material, but it is a very powerful program nonetheless.

Malcolm
Triglot
Retired Moderator
Korea, South
Joined 7125 days ago

500 posts - 515 votes 
5 sounds

Message 8 of 14
23 March 2005 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
I knew we wouldn't get him to admit it!

FX: Is this the complete course? Does it include all 8/9 modules?

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version