Tags: Japan
 Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
Voltman
Australia
Joined 4900 days ago

39 posts - 44 votes

Message 1 of 5
13 February 2011 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Once you have used a pair of chopsticks for a particular meal in Japan, do you just throw away your chopstics or do you was them for reuse?

I'm just curious and I also don't want to appear "babaric" or "uncivilised" by washing them and reusing them when I've already used them once before if I ever go to live in Japan. Well, I don't think they'd really consider it barbaric but I could be wrong. I think if you were to eat rice for example, with nothing but your hands you'd probably be considered uncivilised for doing so. Would anyone agree?

1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5273 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 2 of 5
13 February 2011 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
Every family uses reusable chopsticks, which you wash and use again. There is usually
one set per person, maybe a few extras, and maybe some fancy ones received as gifts or
the like.

In restaurants you sometimes receive reusable chopsticks but more often waribashi,
which are wooden chopsticks that are thrown away after a single use. If you are a guest
in a home you will probably also receive waribashi.

According to the Japanese religion Shinto, old things and dead things are considered
impure (the main Shinto shrine at Ise is rebuilt every 20 years for this reason). This
is why guests in both homes and restaurants are honoured with new chopsticks.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6758 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 3 of 5
14 February 2011 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
Yes, the wooden ones that come in a paper sleeve, that you have to split apart, and
that look as though they might give you splinters if you're not careful are thrown away
after the meal. The wooden ones that are smooth and painted are kept.

If you don't like the idea of throwing away chopsticks after every meal, you could
consider getting a personal set to carry around with you, called "my hashi". If you
don't need anything particularly fancy, both the chopsticks themselves and their cases
are available at any 100 yen shop.

Phil, aren't all wooden structures rebuilt every 20 years because they get damaged by
the
humidity?

Edited by Lucky Charms on 14 February 2011 at 12:01pm

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5273 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 4 of 5
14 February 2011 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:
Phil, aren't all wooden structures rebuilt every 20 years because
they get damaged by the humidity?

Quite possibly. I did a module on Japanese religion for my MA and I'm pretty sure I read
that thing about Shinto and Ise Jingu in a book at some point. Hmmm... Maybe I should
have added "I think I'm right in saying...."

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 5 of 5
14 February 2011 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Every time I was a guest at someone's house, I was always offered reusable chopsticks. In
restaurants, I don't recall every seeing reusable ones, but I have dined with one person
who disliked throwing stuff away (mottainai desyou?) and who brought my wooden chopsticks
home to wash and reuse.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version