homestayperu.net
Joined 5144 days ago

90 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Khasi, French, Albanian

Message 1 of 22
14 February 2011 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone,

I need a little help with something. I'm trying to lobby for better language education in Irish schools, and would love to know how other countries do it. For this I would like to know exactly how other countries do it differently. I would especially like to know how some people can speak a language that is not English fluently after a high school education (as it can be argued that there is more motivation to learn English as it's so global).

In Ireland right now we learn Irish for 14 years and most/many people cannot have a conversation after that amount of time. We also learn a foreign language for 5-6 years and people generally fair better in that one.

So, if you wouldn't mind helping me please answer some questions:

1. What country are you from/were you educated in:

2. Native language/language learned in school:

3. How many hours per week (on average) were devoted to teaching this language? And how was it taught?

4. Were any other activities undertaken in the target language? (some people do certain subjects in other languages).

5. What would the general expected level be after this education? (Could students converse easily for final exams).

6. Did you feel confident on completion of your education that you could get and do a job in the target language?

Thanks in advance if you could fill this out. Mostly I just want to know how are other school systems different to ours? I know there have been threads before complaining about educational systems, but I know want to know why are the good ones good.

Thank you/Go raibh maith agaibh

Edited by Khublei on 14 February 2011 at 3:46pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4897 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 2 of 22
14 February 2011 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
1. What country are you from/were you educated in: USA

2. Native language/language learned in school: Native: English School taught: Spanish

3. How many hours per week (on average) were devoted to teaching this language? And how was it taught? Maybe around five hours a week. Not more than one hour per school day.

How it was taught: A non Spanish-speaking teacher went through the lessons that were in our book. The students would have worksheets and activities that had to be completed by the next school day, wash, rinse, repeat. The curriculum depended entirely upon rote memorization.

4. Were any other activities undertaken in the target language? (some people do certain subjects in other languages). None

5. What would the general expected level be after this education? (Could students converse easily for final exams). We were expected to pass written tests primarily focused on proper grammar and quizzes which focused on vocabulary lists.

6. Did you feel confident on completion of your education that you could get and do a job in the target language? I can't form any sentence longer than five words in Spanish.

Edited by Darklight1216 on 14 February 2011 at 3:22pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Khublei
Bilingual Triglot
Yugoslavia
homestayperu.net
Joined 5144 days ago

90 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Khasi, French, Albanian

Message 3 of 22
14 February 2011 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much! That's great. Keep them coming!

Edited by Khublei on 14 February 2011 at 3:46pm

polyglHot
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 4863 days ago

173 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German, Spanish, Indonesian
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 22
14 February 2011 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
1. What country are you from/were you educated in: Norway

2. Native language/language learned in school: Norwegian, English, German

3. How many hours per week (on average) were devoted to teaching this language? 4 hours
of English, 2 hours of German, I don't really remember. English had double sessions,
while German had sinlge I believe.

And how was it taught? First they taught us a simple song, then they explained the
grammar etc.

4. Were any other activities undertaken in the target language? No

5. What would the general expected level be after this education? Most of my classmates
couldn't speak English after the exams, and few could utter a word of German. I could,
however converse.

6. Did you feel confident on completion of your education that you could get and do a
job in the target language? I don't have a carreer.

By the way I am talking about educuation of 8 to 16 year olds here, as I didn't attend
high school.

Javi
Spain
Joined 5778 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 5 of 22
14 February 2011 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 

1. What country are you from/were you educated in: SPAIN

2. Native language/language learned in school: Spanish/FRENCH

3. How many hours per week (on average) were devoted to teaching this language? 2 hours
from 10 to 18 years old And
how was it taught? Reading texts and dialogues and doing grammar and vocabulary
exercises

4. Were any other activities undertaken in the target language? (some people do certain
subjects in other languages). None

5. What would the general expected level be after this education? (Could students
converse easily for final exams). Being able to read French literature

6. Did you feel confident on completion of your education that you could get and do a
job in the target language? Not if that had involved actually speaking.

Edited by Javi on 14 February 2011 at 11:00pm

Luna Moonsilver
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
lunaslanglog.wordpreRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4875 days ago

77 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Korean

Message 6 of 22
14 February 2011 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
1. What country are you from/were you educated in: England

2. Native language/language learned in school: English/learned French, Spanish, German

3. How many hours per week (on average) were devoted to teaching this language? And how
was it taught? Avg. 2 hours a week per language until I got to A-Level (16-18), where
it went up to 5 hours a week. I only took German from then on, though.

4. Were any other activities undertaken in the target language? (some people do certain
subjects in other languages). Nope.

5. What would the general expected level be after this education? (Could students
converse easily for final exams). It would be expected that you could have a
conversation on a, well - not obscure topic - but probably not one you'd usually talk
about. My final oral exam was on nuclear power. Awesome. The listening exam was an
easier version of a news report, the reading exam was a bunch of sample texts that
again, were news reports or short non-fiction passages. On the final exam there was a
translation exercise that we couldn't really prepare for and a short essay on one of
the topics out of the textbook (such as family, health, environment etc.). All the
skills were supposed to have been taught, but I found that my school especially was not
very good at teaching oral skills, as opposed to a school a couple of miles away :/

job in the target language? Nope, not at all. I didn't feel like I could have a
conversation with anyone at all in German, which was due in equal parts I think to my
education and the confidence that came with it. In contrast, after just five months of
my University course, where I'm in contact with native speakers for three out of four
lectures a week, I feel way more confident about talking to people in German, and even
better about making mistakes :)

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5783 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 7 of 22
15 February 2011 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Actually, just today I published a blog post about Language Education in British Columbia, Canada, where I talked about my experiences there, and about some proposals they're considering for minor changes to the system.

Canadian language education sounds similarly ineffective, compared with your description of Ireland. Many people take many years of French in school, and come out not being able to understand a regular conversation or to speak about anything at all really. Compared to what I've heard about German students who do the same number of years of English classes, our Canadian French classes are really horrible in their results.

Languages are generally taught with a focus on explicit memorization of grammar rules, and there are usually no extensive opportunities to listen to examples of the language really being spoken. Rather than being exposed to the language, students are mostly just taught *about* the language, with poor results of course.

I recommend books in the target language in every classroom...real books that are interesting to read, and lots of them so that the students have some selection. Also, lots of opportunities to listen to real examples of the language.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5563 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 8 of 22
15 February 2011 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
1. What country are you from/were you educated in:
Germany

2. Native language/language learned in school:
German, English (from grade 5), Latin (from grade 7), French (from grade 11)

3. How many hours per week (on average) were devoted to teaching this language? And how was it taught?
5 lessons for English, 4-5 for Latin and French. One lesson is 45 minutes. About one and a half hours of homework a week. (I'm not sure, I never did my homework in day school and we get little homework in evening school.)
I don't really know how to describe teaching - the teachers try to talk in the target language most of the time; we work with a textbook, accompanying CD and workbook/exercises. Each unit is about a specific topic, introduces vocabulary and grammar for that topic. We read/listen to the unit text, get to do some exercises (written/oral, things like translation, cloze deletion, correcting wrong sentences), are told to learn the vocabulary, maybe get to do some writing assignment or discuss the topic, then move on to the next unit. Once the class is at an intermediate level, literature, discussion and free writing are introduced - but it depends on the teacher how extensively.

4. Were any other activities undertaken in the target language? (some people do certain subjects in other languages).
No. There are bilingual schools here, which have half of the curriculum in the target language, but most schools teach in German.

5. What would the general expected level be after this education? (Could students converse easily for final exams).
They're supposed to be able to converse. In my school type, the goal is to leave school with a level of B2 in English and B1 in at least one other foreign language. On average, the level reached might be a bit lower.

6. Did you feel confident on completion of your education that you could get and do a job in the target language?
By relying on my school education alone, no. :)

Also, this is only one of the different kinds of secondary school in Germany. In other schools, there are fewer languages taught and the overall expectancy is much lower.

Edited by Bao on 15 February 2011 at 12:15am

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version