Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4890 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 9 of 12
12 May 2011 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
I asked myself the same question, but I didn't get any answer until I asked that to my
friend (who speaks 4 languages). His theory is that they didn't have much creativity to
create new words (perhaps they didn't know exactly how to do that), so they used the same
short words (short sounds) with different intonations. Some studies say that the more
phonemes a language has, the more closer to Africa (very old continent - our acenstors) it
is. It means that the first languages were born in Africa, where the humans started to
have the skill of speaking. !Xóõ is a good example of lots of phonemes. It's hard to
imagine a big word like "inconstitucionalicimamente" (Portuguese) instead of fã, fá, fà,
(short sounds) in the first languages. Maybe he's right.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6391 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 10 of 12
13 May 2011 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
jsun wrote:
Chinese language originally have 4 tones (but it is NOT those 4 four tones in Mandarin).
However, as voiced consonants disappeared, more tones developed.

I've seen it claimed many times in reputable sources that the ancestral Chinese language was non-tonal. Someone on this forum once even claimed that the origin of tones was documented in writing while it happened.

jsun
Groupie
Joined 4894 days ago

62 posts - 129 votes 

Message 11 of 12
27 May 2011 at 7:00am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
jsun wrote:
Chinese language originally have 4 tones (but it is NOT those
4 four tones in Mandarin).
However, as voiced consonants disappeared, more tones developed.

I've seen it claimed many times in reputable sources that the ancestral Chinese language
was non-tonal. Someone on this forum once even claimed that the origin of tones was
documented in writing while it happened.

The common ancestor of Sinitic and Tibeto-Burman languages is Qiang 羌語, which is a
non-tonal language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Qiang_language

Ancient Sinitic language were thought to have consonant cluster like English such as pr.
Some scholars claim Chinese become tonal as it is losing consonant cluster and voiced
consonant.
However, how every Sinitic language lost consonant cluster is a mystery.
Not even nowadays Beijing can force Mandarin to everyone. The prevalence of Mandarin in
China is just a bit over 50%. How could everyone lose consonant cluster in that time???

jsun
Groupie
Joined 4894 days ago

62 posts - 129 votes 

Message 12 of 12
27 May 2011 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
I am not sure if I can make such as conclusion.

A non-tonal language is usually
1. have lots of voiced consonant
2. have complex consonant cluster
3. polysyllabic

Thai has voiced consonant and complex consonant cluster however it is mostly
monosyllable.Therefore, it is a tonal language.
Hmong has a really complex consonant system however it is monosyllable. Therefore, it is
also language with many tones.
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/newmong.php

A language becomes tonal is usually a monosyllable language that has lost the contrast
between voiced and voiceless in consonant. As in Lhasa Tibetan, tone develops as voiced
consonant disappears and contour occurs after losing final consonant, like losing final s.

I think the development Chinese character confine people to think in one syllable after one
syllable.

Since Mandarin only has 4 tones but it lost many consonants and final consonants like
p,t,k,m, Mandarin becomes polysyllable. Nowadays, as you read news about China,
government officials alway make mistake when writing sentences because they input
through Hanyu pinyin,

Edited by jsun on 27 May 2011 at 7:28am

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version