Groupie
United States
Joined 5044 days ago

51 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Russian, English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 5
15 February 2011 at 7:14am | IP Logged 
I am learning German currently. I put a lot of time into learning new vocab, grammar, etc. Would listening to radio
in German, like Deutsche Welle, be useful? Some people say it is but some say it is not. Certainly it can't hurt, but
can it help?
1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5939 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 2 of 5
15 February 2011 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
I don't see any reason not to try it if it doesn't bother or distract you. I regularly listen to Swedish radio while I'm studying Swedish and I find that having the language constantly being spoken in the background really helps me with getting the correct prosody when I myself try to speak or read aloud. I also have found that it helps somewhat with listening comprehension, but veeeeeeery slowly -- I've been using Swedish radio for a long time (for at least a year, on and off), but am only now feeling the benefits in my comprehension.

Edited by ellasevia on 15 February 2011 at 7:59am

Matty
Diglot
United States
Joined 5091 days ago

31 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 3 of 5
15 February 2011 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
I think it's helpful. But I think it's especially helpful to listen to the same thing over and over again, until you know and understand it well. That is one good thing about Deutsche Welle - you can download everything that they have on the radio from their website.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5563 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 5
15 February 2011 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
It depends on the when and the how.
You can listen extensively and intensively. The right content for listening intensively is something that is slightly above your current level - if your listening comprehension is especially bad, something that is at your current level. You can try out the following exercises: Just concentrate a lot, listen for each and every sound, speak along under your breath, speak along loudly, speak along loudly while walking, jot down everything you understand, jot down everything you don't understand and look it up, read a transcript, make your own transcript and have it double-checked. To do this, is is good to have a recording that you can rewind, loop, slow down and speed up.
The right content for extensive listening is - well, it's not the content, it's the form. You should like the way it sounds. The right time for this is while doing anything that doesn't occupy your full concentration and that doesn't primarily use the verbal part of your working memory. While doing chores, getting exercise, things like that. The reason why I say this is that even if you were able to interpret two streams of language at once, you are much more likely to ignore the one that's less important for your current activity. As long as you're listening to something you do not understand at all it doesn't really make a difference, but once you understand fragments and then entire sentences, listening to the language while concentrating on something else is likely to teach you to ignore what you're hearing. I love listening extensively and think it helps me a lot, but I always, always switch to music or turn off the audio altogether when I start to do something else that uses my verbal processing because I can feel how doing otherwise devides my attention and wears me out. There are people who say thay can do that. Nobody stops you from trying it out, and maybe you can make use of the short breathers one usually takes when concentrating on something and not experiencing flow. (I can't.)
7 persons have voted this message useful

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5837 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 5 of 5
20 February 2011 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
I find it helps me enjoy the language and breaks up the monotony of verb tables and grammar study.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version