Groupie
Poland
Joined 6180 days ago

44 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English

Message 9 of 32
17 February 2011 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Your comments bring to mind how I first saw Polish honorifics in action. In my Polish class at the university our professor always addressed any of us students as "pan(i) [first name in vocative]" so for example, Gosia was addressed as "pani Małgosiu!" and Ryszard was "panie Ryszardzie!". In turn we always addressed our instructor with "pani Profesor!" (and never with "Proszę pani!"). However if my memory serves me correctly, she occasionally used the informal forms on us when asking something like "Czy jesteście gotowi?" before beginning a drill.

I never heard of this trend in Poland for children to call parents by their first names. Without exception I've heard my friends in Poland address their parents only with "mamo"/"mamuś", "tato" and the like whenever they were on the phone with them or seeing each other in person. I think that it's a stereotype that most American families tolerate children addressing their parents by their first names. Certainly I would have been slapped for doing such a thing, and doing so now with my parents even as an adult would be considered quite rude. In my childhood, I had a classmate who regularly addressed his mother (his parents had divorced) by her first name. This was to our interest as children (obviously) but to the surprise of our teacher when she heard about it.

I'm sure it was really confusing for you. To be honest sometimes it's a bit confusing even to myself. I always had a problem with people who are only few years older than me. It depended on how i met a particular person, I think. If it was someone I knew from school i would use 'ty'. On the other hand there is, for example, this neighbour, older than me by 5-8 years, whom I've had know for over 10 years and while she uses the 'ty' form i stick to 'Pani'. Most of the time it feels weird to say 'ty' to someone much older even if he insists on it. It doesn't feel quite right.

Also it's a bit funny that you mention university lecturers, because these days they usually prefer if you use their real title instead of just saying 'Panie profesorze'. It's not too big of a deal, especially considering they usually hold master's degrees or PhDs, so it's a bit of an ego boost for them.

The parents thing is really recent and it's mostly amongst teenagers. Let me try to illustrate the extent of that. When I was in primary school(I'm 20 so let's say 10 years ago) there was only 1 person who did that, it was so noticeable that I still remember that. In the lower secondary school there were 2 or 3 people, 1 of them being the same person as in primary school. In highschool(2 years ago), though, there were at least 6 people doing that in my class only, so 6 out of 30 people. Funnily enough parents of the friend who did that in the primary school were divorced too, and he also lived with his mother, and he used her name instead of 'mama'.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5152 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 32
17 February 2011 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
Darklight1216 wrote:
Your teacher said "vous" to you? I was under the impression that all children were called "tu" by adults.

Ye, that was the norm, also then, and most of the teachers would say "tu", but two of our teachers would say "vous", presumably because they considered us young adults and not children. Interestingly enough, those two teachers were quite cruel. One did not mind screaming at a child that failed to solve a problem at the board in front of the whole class, calling him garbage and fool, and the other one actually used physical violence when he got angry. The Director herself called one of them "La terreure de CES Anatole Bailly", which was the name of my school.

I was put in a different category for being foreigner and on a good footing with the Director, so I was always treated with the utmost respect, but some of the things I saw raised the hairs on my back. At one point one of the teachers, who was otherwise a nice guy, got so upset because some of the kids had been bullying me, that he hit one of the guys in my class. Unfortunately, he hit one of my friends, who had actually been standing up for me, and defended me. I have never been so mortified in my entire life.

RogerK
Triglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4893 days ago

92 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian
Studies: Portuguese

Message 11 of 32
17 February 2011 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
The German 'Sie' is alive and well in Vorarlberg, Austria. The use of 'du' & 'Sie' is pretty much what you would learn in a normal textbook. I was with my accountant last week and he referred to his secretary as Frau So & So and used 'Sie' when addressing her. This is normal and in all shops or when conversing with someone you don't know 'Sie' is used. Children address the adults they don't know with 'Sie' and teachers use 'du' in the class room when addressing the children. In a social setting 'du' is used very quickly after you have met someone for the first time.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6521 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 32
17 February 2011 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
In Denmark the situation is as in Norway: "De" has almost died out, and the last person with whom I was "Des" (ie. on "De" terms) was one of my teachers at the university in the 70s. Maybe the queen still expects people to say "De", but then she would be the last person in the country to do so.

lingvisten
Tetraglot
Hong Kong
Joined 5017 days ago

16 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English, Cantonese*, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 13 of 32
17 February 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
I wonder if such two-way T/V distinction exists in other non-European languages. I
suspect this is an Indo-European thing spread to other languages through contact.

Mandarin Chinese has two words for 'you', the informal ni3 and the formal nin3, but I am
pretty sure such distinction was inexistent in older varieties of Chinese and must have
been introduced by some old scholars who was educated in the West.

(The idea of introducing new pronouns into a language sounds so outlandish to me. I used
to think that this is just another textbook-ish thing that you will never hear in actual
conversations. I was wrong.)

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5271 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 14 of 32
17 February 2011 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
lingvisten wrote:
I wonder if such two-way T/V distinction exists in other non-European languages. I
suspect this is an Indo-European thing spread to other languages through contact.

As far as I remember from when I was reading about the history of the Spanish language, the T/V distinction is a
Roman thing, starting with people saying "vos" instead of "tu" to the Roman emperor.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 16 of 32
17 February 2011 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
There is also a form used by Polish police officers: my:

Co my tutaj robimy?
wypiszemy mandacik?

OK, I am just kidding.

In Non-European languages it's like:

Japanese and Korean use so called honorific speech, they use different verb endings.
Korean is a little more complicated than Japanese.

Vietnamese - you don't use pronouns that much, you just call people as they would be your family:

chao chi!

chao em!

chi an gi?

chi an nem

hi, older sister!
hi brother!

what is sister eating?

sister is eating spring roll

my Vietnamese is poor, so I don't know if I am correct with those sentences.

In Altaic languages, they use plural you for honorific I think.
Mongolian, Kazakh, Turkish etc.

They do it in Hindi as well.

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version