United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 5004 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 1 of 14
18 February 2011 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
I think this is a good place for this. I mean handwriting as in non-type, not as in cursive. This post may be all over the place, because I have a specific question, but I also want a very general discussion of handwriting styles in other languages and maybe even scripts. I know different countries teach different styles, and some(Russia comes to mind) emphasize cursive more, so that sort of thing, and other sorts of variations. Maybe even post samples if people want to.

Well, here not many people really use cursive anymore. Even my dad(almost 60) no longer uses it. When I was a kid(10 years ago) they still taught us cursive in 3rd grade and most of us promptly stopped using it in 4th grade(We were told we'd have to use it all the time, though.) I can still write in cursive, but it's messy because it never really developed past a child's writing. I'm not sure which style we were taught, but it might have been D'Nealian, which looks a lot like my handwriting, but with more flourishes.

I think my handwriting in Japanese is pretty much set, at least for hiragana. I recently started using the crossbar in ふ, so it's not completely cemented, but I think for the most part I'm happy with it. My Korean, on the other hand, still looks almost entirely like type.(If we want to post samples, I have one for all my different handwritings, but I don't want this to turn into nothing but pictures of our handwritings.)

Anyways, my specific question is, in German is it or was it ever common to print the lower case k like a cursive k, as in the following picture:
ecx. images-amazon. com/images/I/419xOTUnByL. _SL500_AA300_. jpg
I ask because I write my k like that, and I don't know anyone else who does. Does it maybe have something to do with blackletter/gothic? The modern interpretation "Old English" graphic on the wikipedia page for blackletter has it, as does figure 2 on the franktur page. D'Nealian has it as well, but we definitely weren't taught that way, so maybe we didn't learn that style after all.

Edited by hjordis on 19 February 2011 at 12:09am

1 person has voted this message useful

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5227 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 2 of 14
12 May 2011 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

The link doesn't work... :(. But I have to say, I learned french cursive in school : here and from my mother I know the German one. There are some differences, like the "a, f, r, z...". My grandfather writes in the old German cursive ( I have a hard time to read him :)). But I'm glad they taught me how to read old German cursive printed. They have plenty of books in this cursive, and I'm able to read them.

But back to handwriting. I do have two different handwriting, one for the French, one for German (sometimes one for English too). I use my German handwriting for Hungarian too, and the most bizarre thing, is that I use the french "r" in German, and the German one in French :).

Is there someone who has more than one handwriting ? I find it like two personnalities :9

Kisfröccs
3 persons have voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 5004 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 

Message 3 of 14
12 May 2011 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
You have to take out the spaces, I think there's one after each dot(actually, I can probably post links now). It's print though, only the "k" looks like a cursive k, which is what I do in my print.

Hmm, different handwritings I don't know. I think mine is about the same in the languages that use the latin alphabet.

Edited by hjordis on 12 May 2011 at 11:00pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4964 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 4 of 14
16 May 2011 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
I´m able to write well in Portuguese, English, Latin and even Japanese. But I can´t do
the same thing in Greek.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6400 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 5 of 14
17 May 2011 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Chinese handwriting is usually cursive ("walking script"), in my experience. Which is annoying for learners, because it's impossible to read it without learning yet another stroke order and lots of training. But having started to write by hand myself, I now find it easier to read.

I learned cursive in school and found it useless, just like many others. I think some of the letters in the standard Swedish cursive writing may be different from in other countries. The way I was taught is like this image:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_heyMO5raFXE/TK8uxf7OiiI/AAAAAAAABZ w/VvTVgQU2hBk/s400/750px-Cursive_svg.png

Except that the capitals are written more like this:

http://skolvaskan.pedagogbloggar.se/files/2009/06/skrivstil. jpg

Take special note of the lowercase 'z' in the first image. Is that the way it's written in other Latin alphabet countries, too?

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5852 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 6 of 14
17 May 2011 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure if my handwriting classifies as cursive; In any case, it's the same both in the Cyrillic and in the Latin alphabet: sample.gif

p.s. Oh, yes. I'm also left-handed ^_^.

Edited by Sennin on 17 May 2011 at 10:41am

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 5004 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 

Message 7 of 14
18 May 2011 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, that lowercase z looks like what I learned. I'm not sure though, because I never used 'z' very often.

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6160 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 8 of 14
19 May 2011 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
Another thing I find surprising about cursive Chinese is that it is not taught in schools in China, people just
pick it up over time. While Latin characters written in cursive are quite similar to their print form, cursive
Chinese is rather different and more emphasis is placed on getting the stroke order accurately than on
writing the characters well.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version