Poland
huliganov.tvRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5152 days ago

91 posts - 304 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Esperanto, Czech
Studies: Romanian, Turkish, Mandarin, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 9 of 23
21 February 2011 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
I have an easier way to become a global citizen. In my case it would suffice to go a year without any of my diets or exercise regimes and just eat what I like and go everywhere in a car instead of walking, and I would become truly global. In fact, I might even leave the planet altogether...

Edited by Huliganov on 21 February 2011 at 3:47pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Hashimi
Oman
Joined 6056 days ago

362 posts - 529 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*
Studies: English, Japanese

Message 10 of 23
22 February 2011 at 3:42am | IP Logged 

As stephen said, East Asians have embraced (or are gradually embracing) Western values in nearly everything, from music to politics. The major cities in China have embraced Western culture within their border. From the sky rises of American hotel chains such as Marriott to the Chinese buying up American debt, Chinese culture has accepted Western ideas and products. China, like the rest of East Asia, faces the challenge to retain its own cultural identity and national characteristics despite the homogenizing tendencies of globalization.

Accroding to political theorists such as Huntington, Fukuyama and Benjamin Barber, East Asia is not the real competitor. Fukuyama says that the only real challenger today is the Arab world. Benjamin Barber puts forth a theory that describes the struggle between "McWorld" (globalization and the corporate control of the political process) and "Jihad" (tradition and traditional values, in the form of extreme nationalism or religious orthodoxy and theocracy).

So if the "ideal global citizen" only have time to learn two languages, personally I think the other one is Arabic not Mandarin. You can see it as "Civilization vs Savagery" if you want! or "Globalization vs Tradition" as Barber sees it.

5 persons have voted this message useful

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5831 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 11 of 23
22 February 2011 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
Mom wrote:
Whenever someone starts talking about being a "global citizen" I become very uncomfortable.

Why is that?
3 persons have voted this message useful

ilcommunication
Diglot
United States
Joined 6489 days ago

115 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 12 of 23
22 February 2011 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
Hashimi wrote:

Accroding to political theorists such as Huntington, Fukuyama and Benjamin Barber, East Asia is not the real competitor. Fukuyama says that the only real challenger today is the Arab world. Benjamin Barber puts forth a theory that describes the struggle between "McWorld" (globalization and the corporate control of the political process) and "Jihad" (tradition and traditional values, in the form of extreme nationalism or religious orthodoxy and theocracy).

So if the "ideal global citizen" only have time to learn two languages, personally I think the other one is Arabic not Mandarin. You can see it as "Civilization vs Savagery" if you want! or "Globalization vs Tradition" as Barber sees it.

"Civilization vs Savagery"...ugh. Sorry for being blunt, but Huntington and Fukuyama are born fools who have no relevance to what's happening in the world today (I haven't read Barber, but I doubt he's much better). Just as an example, in "The Latino Challenge", Huntington essentially argues that the presence of Spanish within the United States is anti-American. That speaks for itself.

This whole idea is a dead-end. In my opinion, there are only two things that matter when it comes to languages: what you need...and what you love.
5 persons have voted this message useful

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5757 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 13 of 23
22 February 2011 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
stephen_g wrote:
Mandarin is a great choice for someone who aspires to be a global
citizen, but I think
I'd disagree with your statement that East Asian culture is, in some way, the world's
most vibrant alongside Western culture. While East Asian musical groups and Japanese
cartoons have soft power worldwide, I don't see how East Asian cultural output is any
more powerful in reach than that which is coming out of South Asia. In terms of soft
power, Indian spirituality, yoga and Bollywood claim just as many adherents as
K/J/Canto-pop and manga, if not more. If we're going to talk about vibrancy, I've
personally always been struck by how thoroughly East Asians have embraced Western
genres of music, for example, as opposed to the continued popularity of traditional
genres in South Asia amongst the general population.

On the culture point I was just going on my perception of the situation so I could be
wrong. The world strikes me as more penetrated by East Asian than South Asian culture.

Hashimi wrote:

As stephen said, East Asians have embraced (or are gradually embracing) Western values
in nearly everything, from music to politics. The major cities in China have embraced
Western culture within their border. From the sky rises of American hotel chains such
as Marriott to the Chinese buying up American debt, Chinese culture has accepted
Western ideas and products. China, like the rest of East Asia, faces the challenge to
retain its own cultural identity and national characteristics despite the homogenizing
tendencies of globalization.

Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan have thoroughly disproven the theory that modernization
requires adopting everything Western and losing your cultural identity. Japan remains
distinctly Japanese, South Korea distinctly Korean, etc. Even those elements of Western
culture which are imported into East Asia go through a filter and are adapted to East
Asian sensitivities. For evidence of this have a look at a McDonald's menu in Japan or
check out the street fashion in Taipei or Seoul.

Quote:

Accroding to political theorists such as Huntington, Fukuyama and Benjamin Barber, East
Asia is not the real competitor. Fukuyama says that the only real challenger today is
the Arab world. Benjamin Barber puts forth a theory that describes the struggle between
"McWorld" (globalization and the corporate control of the political process) and
"Jihad" (tradition and traditional values, in the form of extreme nationalism or
religious orthodoxy and theocracy).

That kind of thinking is rather out of date. In fact Fukuyama has turned over a new
leaf.

The End
of the End of History

Edited by lichtrausch on 22 February 2011 at 4:19pm

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6456 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 14 of 23
22 February 2011 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
This sounds like something that could become an argument that goes on and on with no satisfactory resolution. I'd suggest that the IGC (ideal global citizen) speak at least two substantially different languages.

Perhaps there are ideal characteristics for this person that are not connected to languages as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6746 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 15 of 23
23 February 2011 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
Sennin wrote:
Mom wrote:
Whenever someone starts talking about being a "global
citizen" I become very uncomfortable.

Why is that?

I'm not the one who originally posted this, but for me, the phrase "global citizen"
suggests some kind of "global government" to whom we owe our allegiance, which is kind
of unsettling to begin with, and the idea of striving to be some kind of "ideal
citizen" has a slight communist ring to it.

If the discussion were about how to be an "ideal globally-minded woman" or something
along those lines, I wouldn't have the same gut reaction, so it must be the word
"citizen".

So, in order to be an "ideal globally-minded woman", I believe English, Chinese, and
Arabic are all necessary. Although the Eastern nations represented here by the Chinese
language are adopting Western attitudes and ideas, they are still the ones outside the
Abrahamic tradition with the most influence and power. I also believe that under their
Gucci attire and behind their Starbucks paper cups, they still retain their traditional
societal values to a high degree. As for Arabic, I disagree that their ideas have less
influence throughout the world - it's just that they haven't penetrated Western culture
so much. It's precisely this isolation from and resistance to the globalizing forces of
the West that make the Arab world a contending force, arguable more so than even the
Eastern world.

Now after nitpicking so much about terminology, I feel dirty for generalizing with
terms like "East" and "West". ;)

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4975 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 16 of 23
26 February 2011 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
OK, a real global citizen must be an acquaintance with:

Widely spoken languages: Learn English and Spanish (Latin America)

Muslim Culture: Learn Arabic

Africa: learn Swahili
Indian Culture: learn any Indian language (Hindi,Tamil, Punjabi)

East Asia: learn Chinese or Japanese

Eastern Europe: learn Russian

Learn official language of your country

learn minority language of your country - if there is one

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version