linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5829 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 9 of 39
23 February 2011 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
The big problem is in my view all the things that have to memorized word for word, not those that have some kind of regularity. The morphology of a language is more or less those things that are regular enough to be put into tables - actually you should be happy that some things are that regular and start worrying about the things that are too confused for that treatment. Speaking like Tarzan is easy in a morphology-low language, but only because you don't notice all your blunders.

There's very few things that have to be memorised word-for-word, but putting things into tables hides that.

Most languages have strong internal logic, and tables encourage learning things as discrete items, rather than a realisation of that logic.

Eg Gaelic
The definite article: why is it "am" before B,M,P or F? For the same reason we say "combination" rather than "conbination", "commerce" rather than "conmerce", and "compartment" rather than "conpartment". Most learners already know this. So we don't need the table -- we still consider the article as "an", but undergoing a regular sound change.

The article lenites all feminine words. The reason that only some forms have a * is that they are the only ones that come before a lenitable consonant, with the exception of "an t-", but how does the T hide the S? Arguably by lenition. As T is naturally aspirated and SH is an aspirant, initial TSH is the same as initial T.

Why is there a form a'? Simple - like the "am" thing, it's down to sound. "N blocks lenition of D and T", they tell us. Again, this rule hides the logic. Some people will present the "homo-organic rule": N is in the same part of the mouth as D and T, so lenition is harder than full pronunciation -- lenition was originally a "short-cut", a lazy pronunciation. You never lenite when it's physically easier not to.

As I say, there's logic there.

EG 2 - Spanish.

classical tables would be like
hablo     hablamos
hablas    habláis
habla     hablan

But logically "hablas" and "hablan" follow from "habla" -- information which is hidden in the table, encouraging rote memorisation of the endings. This makes irregular verbs harder, because I can't think of a single verb where this rule doesn't hold for the present tense. The rule also holds (IIRC) for every tense and aspect except the positive imperative and the preterite indicative, so it's a very useful and productive rule -- no need for memorisation.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6521 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 39
23 February 2011 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
I can't see that we disagree on these points. Actually I directly suggested looking for a structual logic even in morphological tables (within the limits set by the facts). In the Nominative/Accusative Singular in Irish lenition is ultimately a device based on ease of sound production, but it is used selectively to mark the distinction between Masculine and Feminine nouns after a definite article (with certain initial consonants - other rules apply with other initial sounds). In the genitive case the article "an" is the same with a Masculine noun, but now with Lenition. In the Feminine you find instead the same article as in the plural, "na", and there is no lenition.

The point is that instead of learning all combinations of articles and initial consonants and genders by heart you isolate the factors that vary: choice of article, sound rule or not (there are also other rules in play) and gender, and then you notice the pattern of combinations - plus the fact that what happens at the beginning of an Irish noun has preciously little to do with what happens at the end of it.

It would be difficult, but possible to learn all possibilities one by one and MAYBE notice a pattern, but when somebody has done the dirty job for you and written a grammar, then it would be silly not to profit from it.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5199 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 11 of 39
23 February 2011 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Most languages have strong internal logic, and tables encourage learning things as discrete items, rather than a realisation of that logic.

Nah, a nice table is a good way to present all the info so you can draw your own rules and conclusions. Sometimes, you can't actually find hard-fast rules, but only tendencies, and tables allow you to see that.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6727 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 39
23 February 2011 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
It would be difficult, but possible to learn all possibilities one by one and MAYBE notice a pattern, but when somebody has done the dirty job for you and written a grammar, then it would be silly not to profit from it.

I fully agree. If somebody can explain something to me in a sentence or two instead of countless examples over the years, I prefer the explanation (even if I don't "master" it immediately). If I have a basic idea what to look for and to pay attention to (and to some extent - "why"), (I hope!) I'll find it everywhere in texts I read or audio I listen to.
5 persons have voted this message useful

CS
Groupie
United States
Joined 4946 days ago

49 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Latin, French

Message 13 of 39
23 February 2011 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Artek wrote:
What an excellent post,Cainntear. My goodness,Scottish Gaelic looks like another structural
monster alongside languages like Finnish, Korean, or even Polish. All this only proves again that there really are
easy and hard languages and native speakers of grammaticaly hard ones have a certain advantage when it comes
to foreign language study. I don't envy native English speakers when they have to tackle something like Russian
or one of those mentioned earlier. It's one thing when your verbs, nouns and adjectives have one or two forms in
a given tense. It's a totally different story when you have to get used to, say, fifteen (especially, without any
formal explanation of rules, as Krashen migh suggest). All the greater respect to those who conquer such beasts
:-).

Again the obsession with morphology. The verbal systems differ substantially between Greek and Latin alone, so
I'm not sure how much can really be said to carry over from one inflected IE language to another. And English
has aspectual distinctions even if they have to be expressed with multiple words (oh no the analytic languages
are dumbing everything down!). And the poor Chinese, how do they learn any other languages at all? (sarcasm)

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5383 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 14 of 39
23 February 2011 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
I thought Krashen's main point was that a conscious knowledge of grammar too early on forces what he calls the internal 'monitor' to be too active, thus preventing spontaneous verbal communication. If I recall his theory, it is that we need to be able to find a method of speaking effectively to communcate (without pristine grammar , which live speech generally lacks) without the monitor when we are speaking and applying the full monitor when we are reading and writing. In his view (IIRC) reading amd writing should comes later as this mirrors what happens with children.

Personally I can see something in the monitor thesis - I have been in the position where thinking out the sentence has taken longer than the time aloted in a communicative scenario to say it, or where a mistake has sent my mind into chaos in orgainising my sentences - but in reality most of the time, the more you speak with natives, the more the 'monitor' switches off. In my opinion, this is true whatever method you use to acquire the language.

Edited by Elexi on 23 February 2011 at 9:50pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

dragonfly
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6297 days ago

204 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, Mandarin

Message 15 of 39
23 February 2011 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Naturally, there are restrictions to Krachen's theory, as to any theory, I'd say. His ideas of comprehensible input in a low-anxiety setting seem rather sound to me. But I consider grammar the skeleton of a language and can't ingnore it.
As a teacher I'm interested in what to do with the beginners, in the classroom included. I watched some videos on youtube and now understand how he proposes to introduce vocab and structure (here, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiTsduRreug). But it is impossible in self-study.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5829 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 16 of 39
24 February 2011 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Nah, a nice table is a good way to present all the info so you can draw your own rules and conclusions. Sometimes, you can't actually find hard-fast rules, but only tendencies, and tables allow you to see that.

As Iversen says:
Iversen wrote:

I go further.

Most grammar books are designed for paper, not for the mind. A grammar designed for paper doesn't make the rules unmissable -- you are forced to draw your own rules and conclusions... which may be wrong. Far better if the patterns are taught explicitly than spread across multiple tables.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version