Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CLO vs. ChinesePod vs. PopUpChinese vs...

Tags: Podcast | Mandarin
 Language Learning Forum : Links & Internet Resources Post Reply
25 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5369 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 1 of 25
21 February 2011 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
Hi guys,

I was just hope that I could some feedback from Mandarin learners who have used various
Chinese podcasts. I know the topic has been covered before, but I feel that the
podcasting market has matured enough that one might be better able to gauge the
different series. At this point the various company's have been around long enough to
deliver the right mix of content. If I I'm not mistaken the "big" Mandarin podcasts
are:

1) ChinesePod
2) ChineseLearnOnline
3) PopUpChinese
4) ChineseClass101
5) iMandarinPod*
6) CLSPod*

Did I miss any others? How would we rank these as of 2011? I might actually get a
subscription to one or another, once I get to an upper beginner/lower intermediate
(finish
Fluenz/FSI/TYS/Assiml).

*Added per suggestion of other members (see below)

Edited by LatinoBoy84 on 22 February 2011 at 5:39am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5753 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 25
21 February 2011 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
Also check out http://www.imandarinpod.com

I really think you should trial their material and see for yourself. I've used CLO on and off and know that some dislike that it's a progressive course which builts on prior lessons. However I like that aspect. There are people who don't like the slight Taiwanese accent. That doesn't bother me given the many different Mandarin accents that I encounter locally in the US. CLO's primary focus is on listening and speaking. Other people might not like that.

I also have used PopUp Chinese on and off for the Beijing accent. Their irreverent dialogues can be a nice change compared to the dialogs that many sites tend to have.

Which one you like may also depend on how you work the material. I do not use website options such as flashcards, preferring to use Anki on my laptop and iPod. I dislike hearing a lot of English and therefore prefer to work with transcripts and audios stripped of English explanations. CLO, once you get to level 3, drastically cuts down on the English. iMandarinPod seems to do that pretty early too. I'm currently using CLO for echo work. My present thoughts are to become very comfortable echoing and shadowing the CLO material, through their highest level. Then move on to work the PopUp Chinese dialogs in basically the same way. Then I'm thinking of moving to iMandarinPod. I'm trying to work with the various accents, starting with the material that I personally like the best. By that time, I'll probably also be spending more time with character work. Right now, characters are on the back burner.

Good luck!

Edited by Snowflake on 21 February 2011 at 5:42am

3 persons have voted this message useful

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5369 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 

Message 3 of 25
21 February 2011 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
Thank you Snowflake! Great point on the use of transcripts get all the banter on the
podcasts. If one know the basic grammar and has the dialog MP3's, one can kind of
"Assimil-lify" the podcasts, and then repeat/shadow. The most useful elements of the
Podcasts are transcripts and audio with grammar notes. Irrelevant dialogs can be awesome
(Assimil).
1 person has voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5753 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 4 of 25
21 February 2011 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
BTW, CLO only goes through intermediate. That's another reason why I plan to switch materials. The other programs that I mentioned go through advanced.

FamusBluRaincot
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5355 days ago

50 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 5 of 25
22 February 2011 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Missing from the list is Cslpod.com. Some of their level three lessons are brilliant. They could serve as models for
how to effectively teach a language. They bill themselves as a source of supplemental learning rather than a “one-
stop-solution” site.

Imandarinpod has pumped out over a thousand lessons with transcripts and word lists. The earlier ones are
available on DVD for a modest price. Some are quite advanced and others are easy. Until very recently, they haven’t
produced any lessons for beginners. The teaching is fair, but the content is excellent. I think they are a must have.

The Confucius Institute Online has lessons for every level and they keep adding new material:
http://learning.chinese.cn/en/

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5369 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 

Message 6 of 25
27 February 2011 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
Thank you for your insight. I am just really happy to see how the different services
have evolved in the last three to five years. Podcasting has been a blessing for
language students. The amount of content generate in certain languages, such as Mandarin,
is outstanding. Mandarin in particular has benefited from competition among sites.   

Edited by LatinoBoy84 on 27 February 2011 at 6:08am

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4796 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 7 of 25
29 March 2011 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
I've used ChinesePod, CLO and www.melnyks.com

ChinesePod has an enormous amount of content and offers lots of practical exercises on its site. However, I'm more of a traditional learner, so I prefer books (or pdf files) and listening to audio material (all of which you also get with ChinesePod). I liked ChinesePod but somehow I preferred CLO because, as another user already mentioned, they cut down on the English spoken during their lessons and I really liked that.

I also liked the idea of a progressive course.

Melnyks is a gentleman who lives in Canada now. He is a Canadian citizen but I'm quite sure his mother tongue is a Slavic language (because he keeps omitting articles when he speaks English;-). He offers a lot of very useful and in my opinion extremely practical content. His course progresses much faster than the other ones. Besides, he does not offer any extra exercises on his site (you can download a worksheet for each lesson, however). His lessons are theme-based so you can choose the topic you are interested in.

As strange as it may sound, the only thing I did not like about his course was the fact that he often mispronounces words in English to the extent that they are incomprehensible (when you first hear them at least). You may say that you want to study Chinese and not English and that therefore this might not be a problem, but if you hear him say "food" while he actually means "foot" it can be kind of confusing, especially since you will hear these mistakes over and over again in his recordings.

As time goes by, you may get used to it though. His English translations of the Chinese texts also contain lots of mistakes and I found that somewhat disturbing (I would have asked a native speaker to at least have a look at the English translations). Maybe this has to do with the fact that I'm not a native speaker of English and therefore rely much more on correct usage of the language than you may, but I just wanted to mention that fact because it actually is the reason why I sort of stopped listening to his lessons. You should give them a try though.

I'll definitely check out the other sites you mentioned.

rolf
United Kingdom
improvingmydutch.blo
Joined 5801 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 8 of 25
17 April 2011 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
I have recently listened to a handful of Chinesepod lessons. They are quite good.

I like the format and they are great for long train journeys but without the need to focus as hard as you would with e.g. Michel Thomas or Pimsleur.

I can't compare to the rest though.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version