Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4831 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 1 of 5
22 February 2011 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
I was hoping we could share in one thread some of our small achievements, the things that make us proud of our language work. I hope you all will be encouraged to share something big or small about your language learning that has made you happy.

I feel it is good to share our successes and that we can encourage each other. This information may be in individual practice logs, but it is not necessarily so.

Here is a personal example of a small achievement that makes me feel proud. Yesterday, I met a man from Cuba, a complete stranger to me. I got to speak to him in both Russian (only a few phrases) and Spanish. He said that my Spanish accent was near perfect, and that my rhythm and timing of the language was fast just like a native speaker.

I have never been complimented about the speed of my language before. He pointed it out to me because he had met too many native English speakers who were slow and awkward when trying to speak Spanish. It seemed like such an unusual and wonderful compliment that I had to share it with others who could appreciate it.

And now, please, share your small achievements or things that make you happy along your language journey.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5563 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 5
22 February 2011 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
It's not my own achievement, but rather a group's - yesterday my French teacher said she's constantly surprised because she never before proceeded so fast with a class.
1 person has voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4983 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 3 of 5
22 February 2011 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday I had a conversation in Japanese and DIDN'T offend anybody.(I don't usually go around offending people. I just think it's a good goal.) It also went well in general.

I also finally got around to starting a blog in Japanese. It's not really an example of my progress, though it made me realize how much more I knew than I'd thought, but it's an achievement in that I've been meaning to start one for a while, but been too lazy/scared.
2 persons have voted this message useful

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6580 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 5
22 February 2011 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if this really qualifies as achievement, but today I realized that I
understand enough Dutch to read (at least some) Afrikaans, as a by product. I really like
it when that happens.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Segata
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4968 days ago

64 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: German*, Japanese, English
Studies: Korean, Esperanto

Message 5 of 5
22 February 2011 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
Today I woke up and my inner monologue was in Korean. That.. was pretty cool I think.
This is what you get when all you do is watch Korean TV.

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version