20 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4506 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 17 of 20
13 March 2014 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
Strange as it may seem, German was until very recently a language of
Kazakhstan. It may even still be heard
in isolated pockets, although most people with German heritage emigrated to Germany
following the break-
up of the Soviet Union. The Volga Germans, a long-standing community in Russia, were
forcibly moved to
Kazakhstan upon the outbreak of WW2 and were trapped behind the Iron Curtain for
decades afterwards.

I have a few friends who came to Germany from Kazakhstan, some of whom grew up speaking
only Russian.
None of them speak anything more than basic Kazak, they insist that everyone in
Kazakhstan can speak
Russian.

So it seems that Russian is still the business lingua franca across large parts of
Central Asia?

No, just in Kazakhstan.
1 person has voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5207 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 18 of 20
13 March 2014 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
I remember reading Sylvain Tesson's account of his journey on horseback throughout Central Asia at the end of the 1990's. At one point he commented (based on what people told him) that the young generation generally has very little Russian. I don't remember which country was concerned by this comment.
1 person has voted this message useful

Mikael84
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Peru
Joined 5099 days ago

76 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: French*, Finnish*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Arabic (classical), German, Russian

Message 19 of 20
14 March 2014 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
Since starting this thread I have traveled in Azerbaijan. Not exactly Central Asia, but close...

What I found there:

- the Russian language seems closely related to wealth/status. In Baku, I found Russian to be widely spoken in the wealthier neighborhoods and all wealthy Azeris I met reported traveling regularly to Russia. To my astonishment, I even saw several ethnic Azeris speaking Russian to their kids.
Outside of that microcosm, it is almost guaranteed that the person does not even understand Russian (tried it in several kebab shops...)

- an exception to that is the age factor. Some older people, even in poor neighborhoods and in the countryside, speak Russian.

- the young generation seems divided, I guess it boils down to personal choice. On the train ride from Baku to Tbilisi I met two young Azeri entrepreneurs, about 25-30y old. One spoke Russian - not very well, but OK - the other one could only say "molodets" and said he planned to start learning Russian soon.

- train staff on international routes such as Baku-Tbilisi use Russian by default. Forget about English, most don't understand it at all...

Overall I get the impression that the situation is very different from one country to another (northern Kazakhstan vs Turkmenistan!) but that Russian is still widely spoken in cosmopolitan/touristic contexts.

Probably not that different from Soviet times...

Edited by Mikael84 on 14 March 2014 at 10:54am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4643 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 20 of 20
31 July 2014 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
I have a roommate who comes from Kyrgyzstan and she is fluent in Russian. When she talks to her friends over the phone, she always uses a mixture of Kyrgyz and Russian. When I asked her about why she mixed the languages, she said it was quite natural in Kyrgyzstan to do so and it would seem strange to her to use only one language.

In fact, she said she needed an all-Kyrgyz environment to become fluent in Kyrgyz, which means that she prefers Russian over Kyrgyz. Also, when her boyfriend came to visit they would always speak in Russian.

I noticed though that their pronunciation and intonation diverged somewhat from the Moscow Russian that I'm used to. They seem to reduce the vowels more and they have a more monotonous intonation while talking very rapidly, so I had some problems understanding their Russian.

From what I gather, Kyrgyzstan seems to be a bilingual country. Probably, this is more true in the capital (my roommate comes from Bishkek) than in the countryside, but I suppose Russian is still a very useful language in that part of the world.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version