China
Joined 5832 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 1 of 56
23 February 2011 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
The more and more I learn this language, and the more I become acquainted with the language situation on the Philippines, the more depressed I am because I have realized a startling fact;

I have discovered in learning this language that few people Filipinos around me actually speak it correctly, know extensive vocabulary (or even some basic vocabulary) and generally are able to speak it without resorting to "Taglish" (code switching between Tagalog and English). It seems the only people who really speak correct Tagalog are two individuals who are older, and grew up around the Manila region. In short, Taglish seems to be devouring Filipino (Tagalog with added loan words) as the lingua franca, and people prefer to speak either Taglish or English amongst themselves, not to mention with me.

I am honestly shocked. I was even more shocked to learn that in the Philippines, some kids are now being raised as NATIVE English speakers and then having to learn "Tagalog" (actually Taglish) later on. Most popular media seems to be in English or Taglish, the Philippine internet is mostly in English. I have been constantly accosted on my silliness for learning Tagalog, as if people have already written off as a dead language.

Is it dying? What will happen to it? What happens in general to so a language devoured by another far more dominant language and constant code-switching? A new dialect of English?

As a side note, I know that languages always change so the word "dying" is polemic. I realize that English is a combination of many other languages so I don't want to be lectured on that. I simply want opinions on the future of this, and languages like it that are being trampled by English without judging whether it is natural or not.

minor edits made to clarify

Edited by irrationale on 23 February 2011 at 7:00am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Raчraч Ŋuɲa
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5600 days ago

154 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Bikol languages*, Tagalog, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Japanese

Message 2 of 56
23 February 2011 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
I am aware of this situation you're describing, but I think the problems are too
systemic/endemic to cure.

I would assume that most Filipinos you've talk to are US residents, or mostly those
you've meet have 'good enough' English that they have enough confidence to talk to you.
If they've grown up in USA, then they wouldn't be fluent in Filipino. Most Filipinos
don't value much their languages by passing it to the next generation.

If they were born in the Philippines, then there will be other complications:

1) Filipino is not the native language of the majority (70%+) of Filipinos in the
Philippines. Some of these people have great pride in their own native languages as
well, so would rather talk to you in English, or would mix their English with only a
few Filipino words that they know of if talking to someone who talks Tagalog. They
would not spend a great deal of effort learning Filipino, as that is nothing more than
Tagalog, which is being foisted on them.

2) The Tagalog of well-off urbanites, especially in Metro Manila, is heavily
Anglicized. This is because Filipino/Tagalog does not possess the technical vocabulary
that English has and the language commission has not come up with any equivalent
technical vocabulary. And this borrowing happens not just for technical words but also
for common everyday words, because English is the medium of instruction of almost all
schools, thus Filipinos have been trained to use English to express themselves
intellectually. Business is conducted in English. Books, movies, and laws are mostly in
English. They would only switch to Tagalog if the expression is an untranslatable
cultural artifact.

Most rich Filipinos have colonial mentality too and fixated with English. Most of the
these rich Filipinos would not use Filipino even if it has all those technical lexicon
because it is the language of the masses. They don't want to be like the masses. As one
beauty contestant put it, she only talks Tagalog with the maids. or chauffeurs. And
this mentality is trickling to the masses.

Also, the Philippines has the largest call-center industry in the world, bigger than
India, and these are mostly located in big cities and uses English. Being employed in
this industry is an "in" thing. Heaps of young people aspire to break into this
industry. And this industry continues to grow in double digits.

So you can see that the whole system makes English dominate the other native languages.
This is why Filipinos switches into English most of the time, because they are simply
unable or wouldn't want to speak straight Filipino.

3) Tagalog spoken outside of these areas and in the lower social strata gets less and
less English admixture the farther you move out. They can speak it correctly, but would
have limited vocabulary outside of what's commonly used in their daily life, say 5,000
more or less words?

What's the more likely future? I think Philippines will have another creole language.
It has a Spanish creole (Chavacano) and now it will have an English creole (Taglish).

How to stop this? Remove English from being an official language. That is unthinkable
though since Filipinos will suddenly find that they have neglected their own for far
too long, that they can't walk without those crutches. In one sense, the Philippines is
still an American colony. Too bad most Filipinos are oblivious to it.

Am I Filipino? Yes, but I strive to speak my native language as much as I can with as
little borrowing as I can, but sorry, it's not Tagalog. Can I speak Tagalog without
code-switching? No, but I can write Tagalog without code-switching, provided I have a
bilingual dictionary.

Edited by Raчraч Ŋuɲa on 23 February 2011 at 7:41am

24 persons have voted this message useful

Raчraч Ŋuɲa
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5600 days ago

154 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Bikol languages*, Tagalog, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Japanese

Message 3 of 56
23 February 2011 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
I forgot one more reason.
4) Taglish is the recourse of Filipinos whose native language is not English, not good
in it yet want to emulate (or pretend to belong with) the rich Filipinos who speak
English natively or pretend to be highly educated. Since they're not good in English,
they would substitute Tagalog words where they don't know how to express themselves in
English. This is called a "pa-sosyal" or "pa-conio" Taglish. This is rampant among
celebrities and some mediamen who are valued more for their looks. And since media and
showbiz personalities are popular,the rest of the masses ape them, especially teens and
young adults who later become these showbiz/media personalities.

Taglish is the direct result of having 2 official languages. Tagalog used only at home,
English at school or office. People then mix up these languages.

Edited by Raчraч Ŋuɲa on 23 February 2011 at 10:56am

7 persons have voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5614 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 4 of 56
23 February 2011 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
Is there a difference between the terms Tagalog and Filipino? I was interested to read about the call centres. In the UK most call centres are now based in India. Which countries do the Philipine call centres serve? The US? Australia?
1 person has voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5832 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 5 of 56
23 February 2011 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Great post Raчraч Ŋuɲa. I have a really hard time getting people to explain exactly what is going on with Taglish in the Philippines as I suppose it must be a sensitive topic.

I am really wondering how I am going to move forward in this language. It seems that the advanced level of this language is basically English, so I am really wondering if learning old tagalog (or even Filipino) vocab is a total waste of time apart from reading literature, which I would like to do. As you said, intellectual concepts are discussed in English. And suppose if someone wants to learn Filipino to speak conversationally, should they be told that "there is no Filipino" and it's best to learn "Taglish"? Just forget it and speak English?

I guess this sort of situation holds for many other "ish"s around the world, but this case is different because Taglish is being perpetuated by the media, correct? Thus the situation is different from say, Modern Standard Arabic which is being maintained through official sources. I find the fact that politicians speak English in the Philippines simply astounding.   

Is anyone else here in a predicament like this with any other language that is devolving into a dialect of another?

stelingo wrote:
Is there a difference between the terms Tagalog and Filipino? I was interested to read about the call centres. In the UK most call centres are now based in India. Which countries do the Philipine call centres serve? The US? Australia?

Not to be rude, but this info is can be easily googled. Please don't hijack my thread.

Edited by irrationale on 23 February 2011 at 12:36pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5793 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 6 of 56
23 February 2011 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
irrationale wrote:
stelingo wrote:

Not to be rude, but this info is can be easily googled. Please don't hijack my thread.

While he could have googled it, I think the answer is actually quite relevant to the thread.

Tagalog is a term taken from Tagalog, and says it's the language spoken by a particular people.

As I understand it, Filipino is a politically motivated renaming of Tagalog (in its standardised form). I say "politically motivated" as it was (like rebranding "langue d'oeil" as "français") an attempt to impose a single language on a linguistically diverse country.  English isn't always a rejection of mother-tongue, but a rejection of the imposition of a single regional mother-tongue over other regional tongues.

The same thing can be seen in India, where the nationalists tried to use Hindi to displace English after independence. Speakers of other languages (particularly the Dravidian languages in the south) have continued to use English in official circles as a truly regionally-neutral common language.
6 persons have voted this message useful

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4855 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, Bulgarian, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Latin, Modern Hebrew

Message 7 of 56
23 February 2011 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:

I have worked for Nokia. Our call center for Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada,  English speaking Pacific islands, and the English speaking Caribbean countries was also in the Phillipines.

And offtopic question: has anybody information what is the average wage in a Phillipin call center?

Edited by maxval on 23 February 2011 at 9:25pm

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5614 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 8 of 56
24 February 2011 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
irrationale wrote:

stelingo wrote:

Yes, I could have googled it, but I thought it would be more interesting to get an explanation from somebody on the forum who might have a more personal or insightful explanation of the linguistic situation in the Philippines. Instead I got a snub.

13 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 56 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version