Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Want to see who voted?

Tags: Poll | Forum Features
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Would you like to see who voted for you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [33.33%]
44 [66.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

22 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5808 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 9 of 22
25 February 2011 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
If people are using "useful" as "agree", it would be good to know who voted for other people's posts, because there are certain members whose opinions we trust and value, and others who we would disregard.

"8 people found this post useful" doesn't mean much if it's 8 newbies who've never learned a language.
6 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5250 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 12 of 22
25 February 2011 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
I'm afraid that without the vote button a lot of discussions would turn into an endless stream of "Me too!" and "I
agree" messages. It's also encouraging to get votes. I don't care who voted.

It would be nice to have an "unvote" button because I sometimes accidently click vote instead of quote.

Edited by tractor on 25 February 2011 at 4:53pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5095 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 13 of 22
25 February 2011 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
If I could see who voted for me I would certainly fall into a deep depression, oops, Iversen did not like what I wrote, again, for the third time in a row, but user xy, who is a well known ignorant, voted it useful. No, thank you.
Principiis obsta.
4 persons have voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4983 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 14 of 22
25 February 2011 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
LanguageSponge wrote:
While it would be nice to know who voted for you just for the satisfaction, it's ultimately irrelevant to why we're here. People seem to be using the "useful?" button in the same way that we'd use the "like" button on Facebook, which gets on my nerves sometimes, so I might even be inclined to question why we have it at all.

Jack
It depends on the type of thread really. In, say, the you know you're a language nerd when thread I use it like the like button on Facebook. In a suggest the resource thread I use it to mean I would also recommend this, but I don't want to clutter the thread with the same suggestion and have no new suggestions. In a debate/discussion thread I use it to mean this is really informative and good to know(whether I knew it already or not).

I agree that an unvote function would be appreciated.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5215 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 15 of 22
25 February 2011 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
I don't really mind either way but if some people want to have the ability to find out
who voted for them and it is technically possible to do so then I don't see much reason
to not add the feature in, assuming it is not going to take a lot of effort to
implement. If you'd rather not know who voted for you then simply don't check. This of
course assumes that you would have to check a link on the post to find out who voted or
access your user control panel for the info rather than the info automatically being
showed.

Also, I don't know why people would get that bothered about why someone didn't vote
for them. I wouldn't think that many people get bothered when a certain member does not
comment on their post, so why should seeing someone has not voted for them bother them?

If your self-esteem is dependent on the votes you get, I think you need to step back a
bit and reevaluate what is important to you.

An unvote button would be useful though. Many a time have I clicked the link instead of
quote button.

Edited by jazzboy.bebop on 26 February 2011 at 2:49am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5490 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 16 of 22
26 February 2011 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
On the previous page of this thread:
minaaret wrote:
What's good about voting is that anyone can vote. I'm beginning to like voting. I would like to see who voted for everyone.

On this page of the thread:
minaaret wrote:
I think the voting system should be abolished. When I read older posts, they seem to be much more interesting than the newer ones, and they get hardly any votes.

You seem to contradict yourself... but then, so did Walt Whitman, so you're in good company.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version