Message 18 of 36
26 February 2011 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
minaaret wrote:
Spanky wrote:
We actually have the benefit of a video clip of a
Latin lesson, though it pre-dates the
middle ages:

Brian gets schooled

I didn't know they spoke English in Rome.

I was surprised like you to learn that Roman soldiers spoke English as well (though
strictly speaking they were in Roman-occupied territory rather than Rome - hence the
"Romans go home" graffiti).

I was even more amazed to have learned that they had video capability back then, but
there is a lot about technology I don't understand.

6 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5822 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 19 of 36
26 February 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
psy88 wrote:
They were "illiterate" in that they could not read or write their own language or any other. The definition of illiterate has varied. At some points, if one could simply read and write his own name name, one was considered to be literate.Most people, however, would subscribe to a much more rigorous criteria to define literacy.
The monasteries preserved not only Latin but also books.Many believe that during the so-called Dark Ages, it was the monks who kept knowledge alive in Europe.

In fact, there was a time when "literate" meant "can read Latin". Texts say that one of the medieval kings of England (I can't remember which one) was illiterate until he was 12, but it is well documented that he used to read books while sitting on his mother's knee.
(And this isn't a false memory or hearsay -- it was mentioned in my university course on the history and development of English.)
RogerK wrote:
Did they need books to learn Latin?

A child learns his or her mother tongue before they begin to read and write.

If you go to a bazaar in Egypt, Tunisia or one of the many other tourist destinations around the world you will be addressed in English, German, French, Spanish, Italian and other languages until you react. Many of the people there speak many languages other than their own and I doubt they can read or write in all of these languages and possibly have never even opened a language study book.

People are more than capable of picking up a language just by ear. It was probably similar with Latin many years ago. And perhaps because their ears were better trained they possibly picked up their languages easier than we do. We tend to tie ourselves down in theory.

I disagree.

If you go to France or Spain or Italy, you will see exactly what happens when people try to pick up a foreign language just by ear. Loss of cases, loss of genders, calquing of local-language expressions into the language.

Meanwhile, Latin taught explicitly by tutors and in monasteries stayed the same.

Those market traders you mention speak lots of languages, but not very well. There language never gets to the level of a suitable model for learners.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Raye
Diglot
United States
Joined 4965 days ago

37 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: DutchB1

Message 20 of 36
27 February 2011 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
This is a fascinating and perhaps even heartbreaking subject. I love seeing the old Latin grammar lessons and discussions in my Old English reader (Aelfric’s Colloquy and the like, mentioned above). It’s like finding a 1500 year old linguistics discussion conducted in, and about, two dead languages! Yet at the same time there’s a sadness to think how excluded most people of the time must have been from the delights and benefits of reading and writing, and how included they might have been if they’d been allowed to use more of their own language and not have had Latin forced upon them.

What was the transmission process like in the Romance language area, where there might have been less acute awareness of Latin as being “other” as there was in Britain?

1 person has voted this message useful

psy88
United States
Joined 5402 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 21 of 36
27 February 2011 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
minaaret wrote:
Spanky wrote:
We actually have the benefit of a video clip of a
Latin lesson, though it pre-dates the
middle ages:

Brian gets schooled

I didn't know they spoke English in Rome.

I was surprised like you to learn that Roman soldiers spoke English as well

And British English no less!
2 persons have voted this message useful

tritone
United States
reflectionsinpo
Joined 5931 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, French

Message 22 of 36
27 February 2011 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
RogerK wrote:
Did they need books to learn Latin?

A child learns his or her mother tongue before they begin to read and write.

If you go to a bazaar in Egypt, Tunisia or one of the many other tourist destinations around the world you will be addressed in English, German, French, Spanish, Italian and other languages until you react. Many of the people there speak many languages other than their own and I doubt they can read or write in all of these languages and possibly have never even opened a language study book.

I'm well aware of the fact that people can learn living languages without books, through actual social interaction.

Latin, however was a dead language, that no one spoke, and had to be taught in some kind of formal manner. I'm curious as to what this process was.

Edited by tritone on 27 February 2011 at 3:16am

tritone
United States
reflectionsinpo
Joined 5931 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, French

Message 23 of 36
27 February 2011 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
CS wrote:
There was probably an unbroken chain of transmission. That is, although nobody had classical Latin as their
mother tongue in the Middle Ages, there was a chain of speakers each of whom had been taught the language at
some point, going back to someone whose mother tongue was relatively similar to the classical norm. It's
somewhat similar to the way in which Manx has been revived (although there are probably native Manx speakers by
now.)

..interesting.

mr_chinnery
England
Joined 5568 days ago

202 posts - 297 votes 
Studies: French

Message 24 of 36
01 March 2011 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
CS wrote:
There was probably an unbroken chain of transmission. That is, although
nobody had classical Latin as their
mother tongue in the Middle Ages, there was a chain of speakers each of whom had been
taught the language at
some point, going back to someone whose mother tongue was relatively similar to the
classical norm. It's
somewhat similar to the way in which Manx has been revived (although there are probably
native Manx speakers by
now.)

Also, I agree with everyone who has said that medieval students didn't need books to
learn the basics of Latin since
there were plenty of people who knew Latin and the vernacular. Once a student had the
basics of Latin though,
there was a lot of reading to improve the student's command of Latin including Latin
grammars, the Bible, and
approved classical literature like the Aeneid.

I disagree. The people who knew latin were probably the priests and upper echelons of
society who actually needed to know it. There weren't plenty of people who understood
latin at all. This was one of the ways the church exerted its influence: by teaching in
a language nobody understood. By the early medieval period, vulgar latin had already
started to evolve into todays romance languages, and vulgar latin was completely
different to the classical variety.

I would imagine learning latin today from someone who is fluent (e.g. a latin teacher,
king or a priest) would be a similar experience to learning from someone who was fluent
(e.g. a latin teacher, king or a priest) a thousand years ago, and they would certainly
use books.

"The term Medieval Latin refers to the written Latin in use during that portion of the
post-classical period when no corresponding Latin vernacular existed" (from
Wikipedia).

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version