akprocks
United States
Joined 5083 days ago

178 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 4
26 February 2011 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
Pretty much all of the successful projects such as Welsh, Cornish, Hebrew and Greenlandic have a committee, so why should Iñupiaq, my pet peeve, be an exception. Here are my ideas so far:

1) Introduce modern Iñupiaq equivalents to English words, such as electricity, computer, hamburger and books

2) Introduce these phrases to the general North Slope public by having a free printed and virtual newsletter and having the words on the local radio.

3) Have weekly meetings to vote on specific grammar points and new words to make things democratic.

4) Keeping the mixing of Iñupiaq and English from happening, this includes using post-bases in English words such as; 'That was a -pak line.' 'Yeah there over inuinaq people.' (-pak is big and inuinaq is twenty) This is terrible, terrible grammar, is all too commonly heard and doesn't help the younger generation one bit; it messes their Iñupiaq and English grammar

You don't even need to be interested, any more ideas can help greatly. I really think this is feasible for North Alaska and I have the connections that can help kick start it.

Edited by akprocks on 26 February 2011 at 4:03am

2 persons have voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4983 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 2 of 4
26 February 2011 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
Don't forget to apply number 4 to number 1. Use native roots for the new words, not English ones. But you're right, I'm not really interested, so I don't have any new suggestions.
2 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6347 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 3 of 4
26 February 2011 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
akprocks wrote:
Pretty much all of the successful projects such as Welsh, Cornish, Hebrew and Greenlandic have
a committee

I don't get it. What's the Welsh project, for example?
1 person has voted this message useful

akprocks
United States
Joined 5083 days ago

178 posts - 258 votes 
Studies: German

Message 4 of 4
26 February 2011 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
akprocks wrote:
Pretty much all of the successful projects such as Welsh, Cornish, Hebrew and Greenlandic have
a committee

I don't get it. What's the Welsh project, for example?
Welsh increased it's percentage of speaker dramatically by having a institution to regulate and promote Welsh: http://www.byig-wlb.org.uk/Pages/Hafan.aspx

The Cornish board helped revive the language from one or two to over a thousand speakers with even some native ones too boot, with the language board backing the project as well as creating a council to standardize it and modernize it.

Even (or should I say especially) High German has a board to keep the language pure and modern.

Edited by akprocks on 26 February 2011 at 6:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version