Triglot
United States
Joined 5236 days ago

321 posts - 435 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Lithuanian, French

Message 1 of 7
26 February 2011 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
книга means book in Russian and other Slavic languages.

According to the Wiktionary page for книга, the word is "From Proto-Slavic *kъniga. From Old Turkic *küinig, Bulgaric Turkic *küiniv (Uyghur kuin, kuinbitig) which is from Chinese."

I'm wondering, what's this Chinese word that contributed to "kuin" or "kuinbitig"? Or could this just be an error in Wiktionary?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cthulhu
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 7011 days ago

139 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin, Russian

Message 2 of 7
26 February 2011 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Keep in mind that's only one possible theory as to the origin of the word, but it's probable that the kuin originally came from the Chinese 經 (While the bitig part is an Old Turkish word for book or writing whose own origin I'm unfamiliar with).

Edited by Cthulhu on 26 February 2011 at 6:52pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 7
26 February 2011 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
This is the entry from the Hungarian etymological dictionary.

Loránd, Benkő (ed.). “A magyar nyelv történeti-etimológiai szótára. H-Ó. 2.”. Budapest: Akadémiai Kiadó, 1970, p. 614 wrote:
könyv [...]
Vándorszó: vö: koreai kwen; 'könyv'; ujg. küin 'könyvtekercs' (Gab.); sumér kunukku 'pecsét'; osz. ќīnyg, kinugae, kiwnugae 'könyv, írás'; örm. kniќ 'tábla, levél'; md. końov 'papír'; óe. szl. kъńiga 'könyv, betű, írás'. Végső forrása bizonytalan: lehet a kínai k'üen 'könyvtekercs', de lehet az asszír kuniku 'tábla, óklevél' is. —.

With my rusty Hungarian, I understand that the word for "book" is a Wanderwort but whose ultimate source is uncertain. It could be from the Chinese word or even the Assyrian word.

The words used here are:

Armenian: kniќ = "slab, letter"
Assyrian: kuniku = "slab, document"
Chinese: k'üen = "book-spool/scroll"
Hungarian: könyv = "book"
Korean: kwen = "book" (권)
Mordvin: końov = "paper"
Old Church Slavonic: kъńiga = "book, character, writing"
Sumerian: kunukku = "seal, stamp"
Uigur: küin = "book-spool/scroll"

I am curious why the Hungarian dictionary considers the Assyrian word as a possible source rather than Sumerian considering that Assyrian descended from Akkadian which was contemporaneous with Sumerian. In other words Assyrian was first attested as a distinct language long after Sumerian was first attested and so the time-scales seem out of line.

Since you speak Korean, look up the etymology of 권 to see what Korean linguists think.

Cthulhu
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 7011 days ago

139 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin, Russian

Message 4 of 7
26 February 2011 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
^ In light of the information on Korean, which the Russian etymological dictionary I checked didn't mention, I was completely wrong and the Chinese word they're referring to is 卷, which actually is pronounced 권 in Korean.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 6 of 7
27 February 2011 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
minaaret wrote:
chucknorrisman wrote:
книга means book in Russian and other Slavic languages.

In Polish it is 'książka' not 'kniga'. I wonder if they are related. Anyone has any idea?

To answer your question, they are related.

According to the Polish etymological dictionary:

Malmor, Izabela. “Słownik etymologiczny języka polskiego”, Bielsko-Biała, ParkEdukacja, 2009. p. 218. wrote:
KSIĘGA
1. 'książka'; 2. stpol. księga i księgi 'dzieło pisanie, utwór, książka (również w postaci zwoju)'.
Od XIV w.; ogsłow. (por. czes kniha 'książka, księga', ros. kniga < psłow. *kънига - być może w znaczeniu 'książka, zwój' (lub 'pismo, litery') - zapożyczenie z niejasnego źródła.
Pol. postać powstała z wcześniejszej *knięga (zmiana fonetyczna: > ).
książka - zdrobienie [...]

In a nutshell, Polish książka is a diminutive of księgi which in turn arose from an earlier *knięga via a sound change of to . The Polish editor here states that the word is a borrowing whose ultimate origin is unclear - similar to the Hungarian entry above for könyv.

FrostBlast
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4887 days ago

168 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Icelandic

Message 7 of 7
01 March 2011 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
I won't say anything helpful here.

I just want to point out that this sort of thread is why I like this forum so much.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version