Popup Chinese Vocabulary for Chrome

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 8
26 February 2011 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
I was using Zhongwen Chinese-English Popup Dictionary for Google Chrome, which has
really neat on-hover look-up, so you just have to wave your mouse over a Chinese
sentence in order to see each word translated in turn.

However, what annoyed me was that I'd see so many awesome new words that I would have
liked to learn, and they whooshed by too quickly to even try to commit them to memory
(I was L-Ring, so no time to stop). So now I modified this Chrome extension
(permissible under GNU GPL) to allow me to hit T whenever I see a useful word I want to
review later and at the end of a session I get a list of all interesting words with
their complete dictionary entries in a neat tab-delimited format that I can review or
automatically import into Anki / Mnemosyne / whatever.

Another change I made is that this plugin now works for offline pages, such as
downloaded parallel texts. No internet connection necessary.

I'm a newbie when it comes to creating Chrome plugins, and I'd classify this one as
alpha. That's why I haven't uploaded it to the official Extensions site yet. If any
forum member would like to give it a try and help me debug it, that would be very
welcome.

I would love to expand this for other languages, drawing on real dictionaries rather
than Google Translate for a change. I even have decent code for lemmatising words
(reaching the dictionary form when seeing a conjugated one) for European languages,
albeit in Ruby. If Javascript wasn't such a pain, or if debugging something in Chrome
wasn't hit-or-miss, I would be working on other languages this instant.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 26 February 2011 at 9:14pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

mr_chinnery
England
Joined 5538 days ago

202 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 2 of 8
27 February 2011 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
I'm only learning Italian but this sounds like an absolutely brilliant idea. Hopefully
some students of Chinese will help you out, and indirectly benefit me by encouraging you
to produce a version for Italian!
1 person has voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5647 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 3 of 8
27 February 2011 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
I was using Zhongwen Chinese-English Popup Dictionary for Google Chrome

I thought I would give it a try. Just prior to the install, Chrome warns that this extension can access all your data on all web sites and it can access your browsing history.

I took that to mean e-mails, possibly passwords, profiles, and anything else you read or write on the Internet. That scared me away. Am I mistaken? What is your understanding of that warning?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 4 of 8
11 March 2011 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
My extension also extracts the surrounding sentence now, so that you have an example
sentence along with the vocabulary item you looked up! It still needs testing though,
so it is not available anywhere online yet. If you want to install this extension, you
have to send me a message.

Quote:
I thought I would give it a try. Just prior to the install, Chrome warns that
this extension can access all your data on all web sites and it can access your
browsing history.

I took that to mean e-mails, possibly passwords, profiles, and anything else you read
or write on the Internet. That scared me away. Am I mistaken? What is your
understanding of that warning?

Chrome extensions can modify the behavior of websites - e. g. by adding pop-up
translations of Chinese words, or by adding preview windows to your browsing history,
or any number of things. Theoretically they could attach themselves to text boxes and
remember anything ever written in them, exactly as you fear. In practice it's extremely
unlikely though, because Chrome extensions are not compiled, and one glance at the code
would not just tell you that it is doing so but also where it is sending any data to -
i. e. it's like forcing any would-be exploiters to leave their passport ID. If they
still want to commit a crime... All Chrome Extensions and indeed all software that you
install on your computer, no matter how small, have the same ability and carry the same
risk. Hence you should not download software OR extensions from an untrustworthy
source. Chrome gives you the same warning for any extension, I just wonder why it
doesn't give you the same warning every time you download something. Too annoying I
guess.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5647 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 5 of 8
11 March 2011 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
In practice it's extremely unlikely though, because Chrome extensions are not compiled, and one glance at the code would not just tell you that it is doing so but also where it is sending any data to - i. e. it's like forcing any would-be exploiters to leave their passport ID.

Thanks for this detailed explanation. Are you assuring me that you have had a 'glance at the code' and there are no 'passport IDs'?

Sprachprofi wrote:
Chrome gives you the same warning for any extension,

I am a Chrome novice. Are you saying that every time you add an extension, you get that same dire warning?

EDIT: Answering my own question, I just installed the Google Dictionary add-on to Chrome and it gave me the same warning.

Certainly I understand what you say about downloaded applications, browsers, e-mail, etc. all have the potential of reading and using your 'stuff'. For example, G-mail or Google Translate cannot work without 'reading' whatever you put into them. What worried me about the warning was the implication (to me) that you might want to subject a word or a sentence or part of your e-mail to this translator, but it could meanwhile be reading all your e-mail and passwords etc. I would find that very troubling. Can you 'see' if that could be happening by having a glance at the add-on code?

Edited by tommus on 11 March 2011 at 9:43pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 6 of 8
11 March 2011 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
I modified the Zhongwen Pop-up Dictionary extension for myself, so I'm intimately aware
of it and there is nothing worrisome in it. It does exactly what it says, nothing more,
nothing less.

Quote:
What worried me about the warning was the implication (to me) that you might
want
to subject a word or a sentence or part of your e-mail to this translator, but it could
meanwhile be reading all your e-mail and passwords etc. I would find that very
troubling.

Chrome extensions only have access to the pages you yourself call up. I. e. if you
actually install a pernicious extension but only browse Wikipedia for the next few
hours until you uninstall it, the extension will only have had access to Wikipedia
pages ;-)

Downloaded computer programs are the real problem; they can access any data on your
computer and anything you are typing anywhere. Get a good antivirus program and don't
trust pirated software.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 11 March 2011 at 10:15pm

Guests
Guest Group
Joined 7157 days ago

0 - 22 votes
Logged on

Message 7 of 8
08 June 2011 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
Hi Sprachprofi,

Very glad to read your message about the Chrome extension, as no later this week I
exactly had the same idea as you, which means modifying one of the existing chrome
extension in order to extract both the definition and the surrounding sentence into a
tab delimited file, to import into a flashcard system.

I have been using this technique extensively for learning Chinese during the last 2
years (I'm living in Taiwan), but the copy/paste into an excel sheet stuff is really
troublesome...

So it would be very great for me to have the chance to try your extension.
Maybe also, if you think you need it, we could improve it together in the future (I've
a IT background) ? Like maybe getting the mp3 from google translation + adding it
automatically to ankiweb ? Or even having this function available directly inside
Android browser while reading articles for example ?

Actually I cannot send you a PM because your mailbox looks full.

Hope to talk to you soon.

Mickael

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 8 of 8
15 June 2011 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Hello Mickael,

I've emptied out some of my mailbox, thanks for letting me know.
Please write me at yutian DOT mei AT gmail DOT com so that I can send you the files.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version