United States
confession
Joined 5242 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 9 of 24
18 April 2011 at 5:05am | IP Logged 
Dari - 78 lessons and counting. The lessons are words on the screen and commentary from the teacher, who grew up speaking Dari in the U.S. A nice, free intro with as much content as some of the cheaper courses out there:

http://www.youtube.com/user/yasmine040#g/c/667195AA2400DF13

2 persons have voted this message useful

unzum
Diglot
United Kingdom
soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6709 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 24
19 April 2011 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Cantonese - Cantonese The Movie
Tkviper's Cantonese lessons
Learn Yue
アジア語楽紀行広東語
Cantonese in One Minute

Korean - Let's Speak Korean Season 1
Let's Speak Korean Season 2
Let's Speak Korean Season 3
アジア語楽紀行韓国語

Pashto - How to Read and Write Pashto
Beginning Pashto Grammar
Learn Pashto

Russian - Goodbye Summer
Learn Russian
Russian Language 101 and 102 with Huliganov

Vietnamese - Vietnamese for Beginners
アジア語楽紀行ベトナム語
Learn Vietnamese Language Fast
Bud Brown teaches Vietnamese

Lithuanian - Kristytamo

Khmer - KimeO
Khmerschool

Hokkien/Minnan/Taiwanese - Learn Southern Min
Speak Hokkien Well (blog

Mandarin - Learn Chinese Mandarin
Hello Mandarin

Hakka - Learn Hakka

Wu/Shanghainese - Learn Wu
学说上海话

Teochew - Learn Diojiu with Mandarin and English

Mongolian - Learn Mongolian
Learn Mongolian Language

Tangut - Learn Tangut (characters)

Manchurian - Learn Manchurian

Tamil - Learn Tamil

Thai - Learn Thai the Bon's Way
アジア語楽紀行タイ語

Malaysian - アジア語楽紀行マレー語

Indonesian - アジア語楽紀行インドネシア語

Hindi - アジア語楽紀行ヒンディー語

Nepali - アジア語楽紀行ネパール語
Learn Nepali Language

Turkish - アジア語楽紀行トルコ語
Türkisch für Anfänger Staffel 1
Türkisch für Anfänger Staffel 2
Türkisch für Anfänger Staffel 3

Polish - Po Prostu po Polsku

Luxembourgish - Luxdico

German - Easy German

Biblical Hebrew - Learning Hebrew

Azerbaijani - Azerbaijani Spiderman Teaches You

Tagalog - Bud Brown teaches Tagalog

Edited by unzum on 19 April 2011 at 5:58pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

tbone
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4786 days ago

92 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 11 of 24
19 April 2011 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Persian
(I can't post real links yet as I'm a new member, nor can I vouch for any of these as I haven't started Persian yet)

26 lessons
http://www.youtube.com/user/naghmeh001

22 lessons
http://www.youtube.com/user/thelivinglanguage#g/u

31 lessons
http://www.youtube.com/user/farsiyadbegirim?blend=24&ob=5#p/ u

'Learn Persian Online' (not on youtube, but I got it from a click on a video, so...)
http://www.shiatv.net/uprofile.php?UID=21541

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5524 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 12 of 24
29 April 2011 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Arabic

This is from a program by Sheikh Yusuf Estes, an Islamic scholar known for his sense of humor. I'm not interested in learning Arabic at the moment, but I would like to watch the series of videos just because he seems so entertaining. The original doesn't really have any Islamic teachings in it, but it seems these lessons have been edited slightly by the poster.

The first of 8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cI7-kuY5ao&feature=channel_v ideo_title

The channel where you can find these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/LearnArabic1000

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5524 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 13 of 24
01 May 2011 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Evan Millner's Latinum course has already been mentioned, but now he is starting a course in literary French. If you ever watched Mr. Millner's courses you know he uses older textbooks & methods in his videos. The French courses that he is using are from the 1800s. The one he is using for the course right now is called "The Serial and Oral Method of Teaching Languages; Adapted to the French" by Louis Manesca. You can find the book on Google books.

The method involves folding a notebook page in half to form a left & right column, and then taking a dictation from the teacher. In the left column you write the English and in the right column you write the French. After a few of these dictations he asks questions in French to which you are to write out (on a separate piece of paper, not in the notebook) or say aloud.

So far he has two lesson videos (the first one is about 45 minutes and the second one is over an hour), an introductory video, and a video explaining the materials needed by the student to complete the lessons.

His YouTube channel is:

http//www.youtube.com/user/evan1965

look in his playlists for French Course.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5115 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 14 of 24
01 May 2011 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
Evan Millner's Latinum course has already been mentioned, but now he is starting a course in literary French. [...]
The French courses that he is using are from the 1800s. The one he is using for the course right now is called "The Serial and Oral Method of Teaching Languages; Adapted to the French" by Louis Manesca.

I just checked out the first two lessons and while I applaud Evan Millner's efforts, I find the course all in all simply too slow-paced and too rigid.
Sticking to the method to the letter, he wastes valuable time by slowly spelling out the letters of each French word individually instead of using modern technology to display the words on the screen after he said them.
I'm all in favor of oral methods and I know that writing down vocabulary helps memorizing it, but, IMHO, being force-fed each letter is not the way to go.
Also his prononciation, though generally not so bad, leaves much to be desired. For example, he mispronounces even simple words such as "oui" in the phrase "oui, monsieur". For this reason alone, I wouldn't recommend the course.

Edited by Doitsujin on 01 May 2011 at 10:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5524 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 15 of 24
02 May 2011 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
Michael K. wrote:
Evan Millner's Latinum course has already been mentioned, but now he is starting a course in literary French. [...]
The French courses that he is using are from the 1800s. The one he is using for the course right now is called "The Serial and Oral Method of Teaching Languages; Adapted to the French" by Louis Manesca.

I just checked out the first two lessons and while I applaud Evan Millner's efforts, I find the course all in all simply too slow-paced and too rigid.
Sticking to the method to the letter, he wastes valuable time by slowly spelling out the letters of each French word individually instead of using modern technology to display the words on the screen after he said them.
I'm all in favor of oral methods and I know that writing down vocabulary helps memorizing it, but, IMHO, being force-fed each letter is not the way to go.
Also his prononciation, though generally not so bad, leaves much to be desired. For example, he mispronounces even simple words such as "oui" in the phrase "oui, monsieur". For this reason alone, I wouldn't recommend the course.

I can see why he may not want to put words into the video simply because he's going to be making several long videos and spelling out the words may take too long to edit. I don't know, I don't know anything about video editing. Of course, he could just write out the words on a sheet of paper and show them. The course would probably work a lot better in an actual class with a chalkboard or whiteboard where the students could see the words written out. Of course, nothing is preventing Mr. Millner from buying and using a whiteboard.

I do admit his pronounciation isn't the best, and he admits his accent is at best fair. I was surprised when I watched the first video and he pronounced "oui" as "way" when I was taught it is pronounced "wee" or "oo-wee" or something else, but definitely not "way." His degree is in Medieval French Literature, so perhaps that is how they pronounced "oui" during the Middle Ages? Is there some dialect that pronounces "oui" as "way" and he just learned a strange way to pronounce it?

Also, he clearly says the course isn't to learn modern street French, but a way to learn how to read French c. 1850, since that was about the time the course he is using was published.

I know this thread is supposed to be about YouTube language links, but here is his podcast so any critics can see if it gets better the further along it goes:

http://fancyfrench.mypodcast.com/
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6174 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 24
03 May 2011 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
This guy has a bunch of Spanish and Portuguess lessons that seem pretty good:

Professsor Jason Spanish and Portuguese

EDIT: I just watched a couple of lessons. They are very well done.

Edited by newyorkeric on 03 May 2011 at 6:22pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version