Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 4848 days ago

173 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German, Spanish, Indonesian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 44
27 February 2011 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
So what will you use Russian for? If not for speaking?
2 persons have voted this message useful

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5357 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 11 of 44
27 February 2011 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
http://russianpodcast.eu/ is an excellent Russian podcast, and it is probably the only
one that is updated regularly (free PDFs too).
6 persons have voted this message useful

Shenandoah
United States
Joined 4809 days ago

30 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 12 of 44
27 February 2011 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
I use a variety of sources.

1) Rosetta Stone - I am in those lessons well ahead of where I am in the rest of my
studying, to sort of give myself an overview of what's to come, without necessarily
understanding all of it. I don't have the problems I've seen a lot of people indicate
with Rosetta Stone (lack of understanding the pictures, etc) - however, I have to be
careful because it's very easy to "game" the system, even unintentionally (that is,
just pull out one key word from the phrase to match it to a picture, without
understanding anything else that was said). Looking back, I'm not sure the
cost/benefit is really worth it. Since I have it, I do find value in continuing to use
it. I'm in the middle of Level 3 at the moment, and will probably finish all 5.
2) Class - I'm in a small immersion class of 8 students. I actually think these
classes are done very well - nothing like classes I've taken in the past. I've taken
an Arabic class and German class as an adult, in a setting that wasn't a whole lot
different than the typical high school class, and didn't get anything out of them.
These French classes I come away feeling like I learn a ton each and every lesson.
3) Reading - right now I'm at the level of reading kids books, easy readers, and TinTin
(French comic book). I'll advance my books as I feel comfortable with them.

As secondary sources
4) Textbook - Slowly working through to help solidify grammar rules and that sort of
thing.
5) Pimsleur - Helps with pronunciation, although I wouldn't bother if it wasn't free
from the library. It just gives me something to do on my commute to work. I'm doing
the very early levels - I know the vocabulary really thoroughly already, so am just
focusing on the pronunciation.
6) Flashcards - On my BlackBerry to play with when I'm on public transportation, mostly
covering things we're working on in my class.

After reading everything here, I've been debating whether to add Assimil to my plan,
but at this point I'm not sure how much it would give me over what I'm already doing.
So I keep going back and forth on it.

1 person has voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5851 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 13 of 44
27 February 2011 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Portuguese Language

1) I'm a native Spanish speaker so first:
FSI from Spanish to portuguese
pois não brazilian portuguese course   *another Spanish to portuguese guide
a frequency dictionary of portuguese
talking brazilian   *pronunciation

2) then normal courses:
pimsleur brazilian portuguese   *soft "drilling"
FSI portugues programmatic course
DLI basic courses portuguese head start   
teach yourself portuguese
colloquial portuguese of brazil
ultimate portuguese
falar ler escrever portugues
ben-vindo lingua portuguesa

3) vocabulary:
rosetta stone portuguese 2   *emphasis on the audio
audio companion rosetta stone portuguese 3
say it right in brazilian portuguese

4) grammar:
verbos guia pratico de conjugacao e concordancia
teach yourself portuguese grammar
guia prático dos verbos com preposiçőes

5) native speakers:
livemocha
babbel
orkut

priorités d'action? 1, 2 and 5

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5347 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 14 of 44
27 February 2011 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Well, I am a Pimsleur hater, but that doesn't mean I do not use it.

Here is the plan I used with German:

I read and listened to Assimil German without Toil from the start during all this stuff. With Assimil I like to go slowly and just listen and take it in -

1. MT Foundation and Advanced - but a quick run through of the Advanced
2. Pimsleur I,
3. Teach Yourself Conversation (the CD only ones) together with a really basic grammar book (the Dover series)
4. Pimsleur II-III together with the MT Word Builder
5. Redid Michel Thomas Foundation and Advanced.

OK, so that made me feel like I had a basic grasp of the language, then:

Living Language Ultimate Beginner to Intermediate
Hugo in 3 months
The 1970-80s Linguaphone course
Assimil German Without Toil - active wave

and that's where I am at the moment!

Edited by Elexi on 27 February 2011 at 7:11pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

anothername
Triglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4843 days ago

96 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, English

Message 15 of 44
27 February 2011 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
polyglHot wrote:
So what will you use Russian for? If not for speaking?

I would have answered you before, but I assumed it wasn't directed to me, since you didn't quoted me. But reading in context, now I realize you asked me.

Well, obviously I'm learning russian for speaking also, although I do not learn languages for speaking purposes only. And, in fact, not living in a russian environment (you seem to be a norwegian, so you have a much better oportunity to do so), I strongly believe that reading is considerably more important to me than speaking. That applies to any foreign language I study.

So, I do feel reading (and, even more, writing) is sometimes a very neglected competence when it comes to language learning.

But, my purposes aside, yes, I do believe I will become a pretty good russian speaker as well, to my needs, using only (in fact, it's probably too much) the materials I mentioned. But I see your point, because your plan has a strong focus on audio-only materials.

So, let me say that I'm not a strong believer on Pimsleur and alikes, because I need the language on its written form since the beginning, preferably accompained with well-explained grammar. I'm not saying that you need, it's me.

I even tried to learn German starting with Pimsleur some years ago, and, while I think it's really well done, it was annoying to me to not knowing how to decipher the sounds in terms of written/writable words, so I switched to more conventional materials and succeeded quite well without it. Perhaps I will give it a try again, but honestly I don't feel the need.

But let me say that I have also explored Pimsleur Russian a bit, and it is far, far worse than Pimsleur German. I'm not against outdated vocabulary/phrases in a course, unless it has no much more than that to offer. Ok, it has pronunciation basics, but frankly you can get it everywhere. But it's up to you.

More and more, I'm getting the feeling that Pimsleur (and stuff like "in your car", etc.) is only for intuitive learners that feel they can "absorb" the language only by listening/repeating a limited amount of phrases. Nothing against, but since my first post I made clear that it's a matter of learning style. I'm more an analytical learner, and it works for me.

I was just curious if you ever tried some of the materials I mentioned.

Baracuda
Groupie
United States
Joined 5587 days ago

53 posts - 81 votes 
Studies: Spanish, French, Russian, German

Message 16 of 44
27 February 2011 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
I've been going through Spanish with Ease at a leisurely pace. I can't say I have a plan with Spanish, I'm just kind of winging it. Later this year I plan to begin studying Russian. I'm somewhat intimidated by Russian, and believe I'll need to have a plan of attack before starting, so here it is:

- Michel Thomas beginner and advanced - I'm thinking that after getting an introduction on how Russian works that I'll be able to digest the the material from Le Russe Sans Peine more quickly without the need of multiple examples before I "get it". Get it?

- Le Russe Sans Peine (need to brush up my French first) - I'm hoping to assimilate vocabulary and grammar in a painless way.

- Modern Russian 1 & 2 - I'm hoping that if I know the vocabulary and grammar from Assimil's Le Russe Sans Peine, I won't have to drill as much as if I began with Modern Russian's pattern drills, and I won't die of boredom before I can speak Russian :)

When finished with these materials I hope to listen and read Metro 2033!

I also plan on carrying with me a copy of Cortina's Russian in 20 lecons, and the Berlitz Self Teacher Russian, but not until I get a better idea of pronunciation. I plan on studying a bit on my morning commute and during spare moments at work ;)

This is how I plan to start on Russian.

Edited by Baracuda on 27 February 2011 at 11:27pm

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version