Message 17 of 44
28 February 2011 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
tmp011007 wrote:

5) native speakers:
livemocha
babbel
orkut

priorités d'action? 1, 2 and 5

So your interaction with native speakers is solely through Skype? Is this tutoring or
merely conversation? Do you get enough out of it?
I have never tried Skype as I am scared of the telephone and consider Skype to be a
telephone, text is fine of course. I prefer actual locals, whether it be in the target
language country or with immigrants.
1 person has voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5829 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 18 of 44
28 February 2011 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
polyglHot wrote:
tmp011007 wrote:

5) native speakers:
livemocha
babbel
orkut

priorités d'action? 1, 2 and 5

So your interaction with native speakers is solely through Skype? Is this tutoring or
merely conversation? Do you get enough out of it?
I have never tried Skype as I am scared of the telephone and consider Skype to be a
telephone, text is fine of course. I prefer actual locals, whether it be in the target
language country or with immigrants.

.skype and almost every IM available
.tutoring and conversation but not formal tutoring (it's kinda hard for me to find a good teacher or at least someone who bears my bizarre and permanent questions)
.my "normal" chats aren't just about phrasebook sentences. so yeah, it is worth it

there's a huuuuuuge difference between a normal phone conversation and a skype one. a phone conversation could be hard even in your native language :P. that text feature you mentioned is the key (at least it is for me)... so you have voice chat, text chat and sometimes "cam chat": skype and related IM are amazing tools (speaking, writing, reading, listening -making friends, having fun)

face to face conversations (real life, not through internet) is the goal but, for me isn't that easy right now (time, mobility). on the other hand it's quite fast and easy to find people to chat with...

polyglHot
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 4826 days ago

173 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German, Spanish, Indonesian
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 44
28 February 2011 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
So you cannot actually speak it with locals, you use Skype with voice and text instead?

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5829 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 20 of 44
28 February 2011 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
yeah and I've just realized that skype conversations could be somehow even better than the face to face ones (unless you have some kind of visual help and/or you're able to tape them)

I know I'm exaggerating... face to face conversations are the "ultimate fighter" I meant, "goal". and yeah, in a face to face conversation you're able to guess/know a lot through body language and so on BUT I can actually find natives easier and faster through the internet and (at least in those first stages) it's really comfy compared to an entire conversation based just on "audio"

I've had lots and loads of communication/expression problems (english, french) but I know there's nothing compared to real face-to-face life situations (again, if there aren't any or scarce visual aids)

leosmith
United States
Joined 6310 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 21 of 44
28 February 2011 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
atboom wrote:
The post seemed less 'suggest a plan for me' and more 'post what you are doing that works for
you'. At least that's how I read the first post.

Yes, that was what I meant. And thanks for the interesting plan, by the way.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5885 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 22 of 44
01 March 2011 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
My plan...

1. Finnish: Regular writing to Lang-8.
2. Finnish: Listen to 1 TY Chapter daily. Advance 1/week.
3. Finnish: Read TY Finnish book as needed. Once/week at least.
4. Finnish: Watch, listen, or read random stuff as time allows. (Mosty learning materials, but also some native stuff too.)
5. Japanese: 1/class per week at Soukougakuen.
6. Japanese: Write regularly to lang-8.
7. Japanese: Chat regularly on sharedtalk.com.
8. Japanese: Watch, listen or read random stuff as time allows. (Mostly native material.)
9. German: If I'm on Sharedtalk, open the German chat room and chat if anyone is there.

I think I'm getting close to being able to write emails to penpals in Finnish.   I'd like to start this by maybe June or July or so.

Around November I'll drop everything and make a push for the JLPT N2, I think, or maybe I'll retake the N3 since I failed that. I'm not sure.   I'll give myself one month of JLPT focused studying.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6310 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 23 of 44
01 March 2011 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
anothername, thanks for the language plan. There was some good stuff in it.

anothername wrote:
it was annoying to me to not knowing how to decipher the sounds in terms of written/writable
words

I'm not trying to get you to use Pimsleur, but in my plan this issue is solved by using a transcript.

anothername wrote:
But let me say that I have also explored Pimsleur Russian a bit, and it is far, far worse than
Pimsleur German.

I doubt it's much worse, unless you are expecting it to do what the ads say. Sure, you'll have less of a handle on
Russian than you would German, but if your goal is primarily pronunciation it's not a problem.

anothername wrote:
More and more, I'm getting the feeling that Pimsleur (and stuff like "in your car", etc.) is only for
intuitive learners that feel they can "absorb" the language only by listening/repeating a limited amount of
phrases.

I wouldn't assume that. I can't speak for everyone, but I chose this path very carefully. I can learn more like your way,
but I find my way more efficient for what I want to accomplish.

2 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6310 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 24 of 44
01 March 2011 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
Speaking of language plans, I think I'm going to copy our friend Fanatic for German. Here it is:
1) Assimil

tempting, isn't it?

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version