Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Only gifted polyglots can learn 10+langs?

Tags: Hyperglot | Polyglot
 Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
53 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>
tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5879 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 25 of 53
28 February 2011 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
Discombobulate wrote:
I've recently stumbled across a video of Torbyne speaking in 15+ languages. I must say
I was quite impressed. Is this something that only the gifted can do? How does one not
get confused with languages, suddenly switching between them, I just don't get it (he's
even able to switch instantly between languages that he's a pro at and those languages
that he's just started/ not at a very high level yet)!

Is it possible even for someone who's supposedly not that gifted with languages, or is
it a rare attribute possessed only by a select few? What methods/exercises/regimen do
you use
to erect 'separating fences' between languages that you've been learning?

there are some gifted people I know BUT it's nothing more than a skill -not a superpower :P. some people might have a hard time and some others, well, a not so hard time (it's just "a matter of practice")

confusion plays a role but it's nothing more than normal confusion which slowly goes away through patient language-specific practice

edit: I've just noticed doviende's post

doviende wrote:

I find that switching is dependent on how much actual speaking practice I've had with a language, and somewhat dependent on how well I understand the language, and also dependent on how recently I've used that language.

and
doviende wrote:

I'd say the biggest thing is to just practice speaking and thinking of things in that language. Once you're really comfortable expressing your thoughts in it, it'll be much easier to switch in and out of. The next most important is regularly reviewing to keep things fresh.

I do agree. yeah, I reckon it's pretty much it

Edited by tmp011007 on 28 February 2011 at 5:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5879 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 26 of 53
28 February 2011 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
I do have some interferences with the three languages Spanish - Italian - Esperanto because they are very similar, but I never mix up my other languages.

that reminds me of some Steve Kaufman's and Felix Wang's (loki2504) videos - and they're quite good I can tell

IMHO it is pretty normal, particularly if you don't have enough exposure to those languages and/or they're not into "active mode" (in short: use it or mix it :P)

polyglHot
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 4876 days ago

173 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German, Spanish, Indonesian
Studies: Russian

Message 27 of 53
28 February 2011 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
RogerK wrote:
anothername wrote:
I study some other languages besides those, but,
as I said, I don't dare to state that I speak a new language before I trully master it.

Gee, if I enforced the same guidelines on myself I would have to delete English from my
languages. I still make plenty of mistakes today, both in speaking and writing and
there are thousands of words I don't know the meaning of.

On a serious note, I don't think switching is very difficult. Once you make a decision
to converse in a particular language the brain uses words just from that particular
language. If the conversation (and I've experienced this many times) changes from one
language to another it may take one second, your says "okay now I must speak language
2' and away you go.

It would be fun to have a conversation where you switch constantly from L1 to L2 to L3
etc. I just need to learn another 5 or 6 languages and I'll fit in nicely. It's not
likely to happen though.

That's not what I meant, of course you are fluent and have mastered your own language.
I didn't attend high school or university, so should I say that I don't speak
Norwegian? No.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5191 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 28 of 53
28 February 2011 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Let's not forget that to learn 10 languages to fluency, certain conditions need to be present, conditions that have little to do with talent and sometimes a lot to do with coincidence.

Creating an environment where 10 languages can be used regularly is, for most people and for all intents and purposes, virtually impossible. For some people, however, it just happens, over the course of their lives.

I have different circles of friends and in some, speaking 3 or 4 languages is the norm because of the types of lives they have led, while in others, speaking a second language is a truly exceptional feat.

Very few people get to move to another country to learn another language, and on the other hand, some people grow up in trilingual environments and get to move several times for extensive periods of time to several different countries. I used to live in Burkina Faso where there were loads of trilingual, yet illiterate, people. In Montréal, I used to know bilingual people who were intellectually challenged. Opportunity, not ability, is a decisive factor.

Personally, I used to go to university in Montréal where I was exposed to various languages more frequently than now, and I learned 3 languages to fluency in a few years' span. Now, I live in a small city with less immigration, I have a fulltime job with a wife and kids. I've managed to incorporated Japanese in my daily life and I have Japanese friends -- and I have a French-English bilingual home -- but there are hardly any opportunities to use Spanish or German anymore, let alone 5 more languages.

Could I learn 10 languages to fluency? I know I could, as I've done it with 4 languages in the past (besides my native language) over relatively short periods of time, and all without moving anywhere. But do I currently lead a lifestyle where that's possible? Realistically, no, not at the moment. Perhaps when I retire, though...

Learning 10 languages to fluency requires certain conditions that the vast majority of humans will never encounter. We can -- and should -- celebrate those who have a achieved this feat, but let's not forget that in some people's lives, learning 2 or 3 languages is as great a feat.
11 persons have voted this message useful

RogerK
Triglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4885 days ago

92 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian
Studies: Portuguese

Message 29 of 53
28 February 2011 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
polyglHot wrote:
RogerK wrote:
anothername wrote:
I study some other languages besides those, but,
as I said, I don't dare to state that I speak a new language before I trully master it.

Gee, if I enforced the same guidelines on myself I would have to delete English from my languages. I still make plenty of mistakes today, both in speaking and writing and
there are thousands of words I don't know the meaning of.

On a serious note, ...

That's not what I meant, of course you are fluent and have mastered your own language.
I didn't attend high school or university, so should I say that I don't speak
Norwegian? No.

I was joking, sorry if it didn't come across as intended.

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5905 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 30 of 53
28 February 2011 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Let's not forget that to learn 10 languages to fluency, certain conditions need to be present, conditions that have little to do with talent and sometimes a lot to do with coincidence.

Creating an environment where 10 languages can be used regularly is, for most people and for all intents and purposes, virtually impossible. For some people, however, it just happens, over the course of their lives.

I have different circles of friends and in some, speaking 3 or 4 languages is the norm because of the types of lives they have led, while in others, speaking a second language is a truly exceptional feat.

Very few people get to move to another country to learn another language, and on the other hand, some people grow up in trilingual environments and get to move several times for extensive periods of time to several different countries. I used to live in Burkina Faso where there were loads of trilingual, yet illiterate, people. In Montréal, I used to know bilingual people who were intellectually challenged. Opportunity, not ability, is a decisive factor.

Personally, I used to go to university in Montréal where I was exposed to various languages more frequently than now, and I learned 3 languages to fluency in a few years' span. Now, I live in a small city with less immigration, I have a fulltime job with a wife and kids. I've managed to incorporated Japanese in my daily life and I have Japanese friends -- and I have a French-English bilingual home -- but there are hardly any opportunities to use Spanish or German anymore, let alone 5 more languages.

Could I learn 10 languages to fluency? I know I could, as I've done it with 4 languages in the past (besides my native language) over relatively short periods of time, and all without moving anywhere. But do I currently lead a lifestyle where that's possible? Realistically, no, not at the moment. Perhaps when I retire, though...

Learning 10 languages to fluency requires certain conditions that the vast majority of humans will never encounter. We can -- and should -- celebrate those who have a achieved this feat, but let's not forget that in some people's lives, learning 2 or 3 languages is as great a feat.

This is very well put. Indeed having the opportunities is a huge part of being able to maintain a larger number of languages. The other thing is making use of those opportunities. This is also not so cut and dried for a lot of people. If you have had a hard day at work, feel down or just don't fancy doing any language work, it is very easy to veg out and watch TV in our home language(s) or do something else non-language related. Then there are the other things that crop up, like family, going out with friends and the rest of your life! ;)

I am in a very fortunate position because of the factors I set out in my last post. In addition to that, I also have a wealth of languages on tap here just through the TV. Anything I watch in English has subtitles in Serbian/Albanian or Macedonian. We tell a lot of jokes in Serbian in Macedonia too and every now and then you come across a native speaker who uses that language. Bulgarian is another language I can practice quite a lot because of TV, trips to Bulgaria and, of course, over the Internet.

For me, language learning is something I do constantly. I listen to and read a variety of languages throughout the day to maintain my level in some, brush up on others and improves other ones still. The question you have to ask yourself is, why do it? For me the answer is clear - language learning is a fire that burns inside me. It is like the football fan who needs to know about every player, match and league. It is the musician in a band, who thinks only about music. There are people who dabble in lots of things. Language learning has its hardcore element. I think this is what describes me best. Being a polyglot means little, it is a label people attach to people who do what I do. Even amongst those people there is disagreement. The doing is what counts, the label matters not a fig.

The fact is this - My name is Richard and I am a lang-a-holic. :)
10 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5657 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 53
28 February 2011 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
You can easily read all his posts, minaaret, if you click in the profile on his nickname "Torbyrne" and then on "Posts". There all of his ever written posts appear. This method is applicable for every forum user. So, if you are interested in the writings of other polyglots as well, you can do the same by clicking on their nicknames in the profile.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 28 February 2011 at 8:09pm

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version