Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
jaliyah
United States
Joined 4919 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes

Message 1 of 9
27 February 2011 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
What exactly is the difference between Dutch and Flemish?

Would one of them be easier for a native English-speaker to learn for some reason?

Is the written language identical?

If it's just a matter of accent, is the analogy something like Standard American English vs. BBC English (mutually intelligible) or more like Standard German and Swiss German (same writing, but not at all mutually intelligible when spoken)?
1 person has voted this message useful

arturs
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 5065 days ago

278 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian, English

Message 2 of 9
27 February 2011 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
From what I have read, there is no big difference and the Dutch and Flemish understand each other very good. It's a matter of pronunciation and vocabulary. I would say that the differences between Dutch and Flemish are like differences between Standard French and Belgian French.

bushwick
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6038 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 
Speaks: German, Croatian*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 3 of 9
27 February 2011 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
arturs wrote:
Dutch and Flemish are like differences between Standard French and Belgian French.

Pretty much. Differences stem mostly from vocabulary, which more often than not is completely understood and usually looked upon quite humorously by both people.
Flemish is a tad softer, ocassionally sounding more German, and has French borrowings, but aside from having to learn about the differences, understanding shouldn't pose any bigger problems (it can throw one off). Written language is the same.

RV1428
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 4811 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Flemish*, English, French
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 4 of 9
01 March 2011 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
bushwick wrote:
arturs wrote:
Dutch and Flemish are like differences between Standard French and Belgian French.

Pretty much. Differences stem mostly from vocabulary, which more often than not is completely understood and usually looked upon quite humorously by both people.
Flemish is a tad softer, ocassionally sounding more German, and has French borrowings, but aside from having to learn about the differences, understanding shouldn't pose any bigger problems (it can throw one off). Written language is the same.

As Flemish speaker I can completely agree with this. The standard language is the same, it originated in Flanders and was standardised in the Netherlands with strong influences from dialects from Brabant and Holland. We understand each other but some vocabulary can be confusing. Examples:
English: French fries, Dutch: patat, Flemish: frieten
English: newspaper, Dutch: krant, Flemish: gazet
English: nail, Dutch: spijker, Flemish: nagel

Edited by RV1428 on 01 March 2011 at 8:35pm

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5129 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 5 of 9
01 March 2011 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
I agree with previous posters that the biggest difference between Standard Flemish and Standard Dutch lies in the vocabulary (and there's the accent of course). Flemish still uses "gij", which is only used to address God in the Netherlands, and the formal "u" is more common than in Dutch, which makes it sound quite formal to my ears.

At the same time, slang words like "tof" and "kei" are still used which sound very outdated and a little childish to me because I haven't heard anyone in the Netherlands use them since I was in kindergarten.

There's also more French-influenced vocabulary in Flemish. For instance, when I was in Belgium recently I noticed they used the word "proper" to mean "clean" and I've been told the word "bot" is used to mean "boot". That last one might get you into trouble in the Netherlands because "bot" is also the word for "bone" so if you tell people you're wearing bones they might get a little scared of you. ;)

What I find an interesting difference in the pronunciation is the way French loanwords are pronounced. Dutch retains the original French pronunciation of words like dossier and energie while Flemish has adapted them to the Flemish phonology. Considering the closer relationship between Flemish and French, I personally found this surprising. I've read somewhere that it's because when French was the prestige language of the upper classes, the Dutch would try to Frencify their Dutch while the Flemish would just speak French. Makes sense, I guess. :)

Envinyatar
Diglot
Guatemala
Joined 5330 days ago

147 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 6 of 9
01 March 2011 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
This could help you:

Flemish vs Dutch - Differences
2 persons have voted this message useful

tennisfan
Triglot
United States
Joined 5154 days ago

130 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 7 of 9
13 May 2011 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
So if I learn Dutch using programs that teach Dutch as spoken in the Netherlands, will I be able to be communicate/be understood in Belgium? are the difference greater or less than British vs. American English?

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5129 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 8 of 9
13 May 2011 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
tennisfan wrote:
So if I learn Dutch using programs that teach Dutch as spoken in the Netherlands, will I be able to be communicate/be understood in Belgium? are the difference greater or less than British vs. American English?

Yes, I would say the difference between Netherlands Dutch and Standard Flemish is comparable to that between RP and General American English. If you learn Standard Dutch, everyone in the Netherlands and Flanders will understand you. Whether you understand them is a different story because some of the dialects are completely incomprehensible.

Edited by ReneeMona on 13 May 2011 at 9:27am

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version