Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5178 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 1 of 5
01 March 2011 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Anyone have interesting information on bidialectism?

I'm particularly interested in the context of Japanese, where most people from outside the Tokyo area find themselves speaking Standard Japanese whereas their native accent/dialect differs.

A friend's 3 Japanese friends came to visit lately and I asked them if they spoke to eachother in their native dialects (they all came from different areas). Surprisingly, this seemed to be a question they'd never even considered. They all use standard Japanese, admitting that their native accent would likely come out if they spoke with people from their hometown, but that they never actually think about it.
1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5250 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 5
01 March 2011 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Anyone have interesting information on bidialectism?

I'm particularly interested in the context of Japanese, where most people from outside the Tokyo area find
themselves speaking Standard Japanese whereas their native accent/dialect differs.

A friend's 3 Japanese friends came to visit lately and I asked them if they spoke to eachother in their native dialects
(they all came from different areas). Surprisingly, this seemed to be a question they'd never even considered. They
all use standard Japanese, admitting that their native accent would likely come out if they spoke with people from
their hometown, but that they never actually think about it.

I have a book called An Introduction to Sociolinguistics by Janet Holmes, that, as far as I remember, deals with
such phenomena among others. I haven't read it for many years, so I don't remember if it dealt with dialect
switching in Japan in particular.

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5215 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 3 of 5
01 March 2011 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
People will usually change their speech and behaviour dependent on the situation they
find themselves in and I suspect it is not a very conscious process for most people.
When with people from other parts of the country you usually try to speak in a more
"standard" way, especially if you speak a strong dialect.

I come from Glasgow in Scotland and when we speak in a strong version of the dialect to
those not used to it, it can cause plenty of confusion and seem pretty impenetrable.
With some of my friends I will speak with quite a strong version of the dialect and
with other people I will drastically change my speech to a more standard form. I'm well
aware of how my speech patterns change depending on who I am with but I tend to think a
lot about what I say when I speak but for a long while I didn't really think about the
fact I was doing it all.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6500 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 5
02 March 2011 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
If people dared speak their native dialects to other native speakers it might be easier for everybody to adapt to small differences, and the result would be much more interesting and varied. But alas, the world is going towards uniformization - where the important thing earlier was to have an army and a fleet, it now seems that the important thing is to dominate the TV stations in a country. That being said I have to admit that I don't speak a clear dialect myself, but some bland version of standard Danish.

Segata
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4968 days ago

64 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: German*, Japanese, English
Studies: Korean, Esperanto

Message 5 of 5
02 March 2011 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
A friend's 3 Japanese friends came to visit lately and I asked them if they spoke to eachother in their native dialects (they all came from different areas). Surprisingly, this seemed to be a question they'd never even considered. They all use standard Japanese, admitting that their native accent would likely come out if they spoke with people from their hometown, but that they never actually think about it.

Chances are they could not understand each other very well if they were to talk to each other in their native dialects. If one of his friends is from, say, Aomori and another one is from Kyushu.. well.. let's just say they would sound very different.

Edit: There's a few videos that show how dialects from northern Japan sound like. Judge for yourself. I'm not entirely sure how it is for native speakers, but I have to concentrate.. a lot.. in order to make any sense of this.

Edited by Segata on 02 March 2011 at 8:52am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version