United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5922 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 9 of 32
04 March 2011 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Talking to people in bars? That seems pretty advanced level.   Maybe. Though honestly, even bars in the USA, I just sit there, stare at my $6 diet Pepsi and talk to no one, so maybe this is a 'bar problem' for me and not a language problem.   I think anyone can learn the "I'm a confused slow foreigner" conversation. But comprehending native speech at full speed with background noise and slurred from the influence of alcohol?

There is definitely such a thing as 'language learning aptitude.'   And sometimes I think of myself as a language-learning retard, but then quite often I run into people who I can tell have put in the hours but who are even worse.

Edited by cathrynm on 04 March 2011 at 10:03pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5808 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 10 of 32
04 March 2011 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
Talking to people in bars? That seems pretty advanced level.   Maybe. Though honestly, even bars in the USA, I just sit there, stare at my $6 diet Pepsi and talk to no one, so maybe this is a 'bar problem' for me and not a language problem.   I think anyone can learn the "I'm a confused slow foreigner" conversation. But comprehending native speech at full speed with background noise and slurred from the influence of alcohol?

Advanced? Yes, certainly. But that still doesn't mean you need an aptitude to get there.

It's not just a matter of putting the hours in, though. A lot of people put in a lot of time, but doing the wrong thing, so never get anywhere.

Thantophobia
Groupie
United States
Joined 4959 days ago

49 posts - 66 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 11 of 32
04 March 2011 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
In my Spanish class there are people who completely don't understand the entire Spanish
concept at all, and there are people who can speak it well and naturally. We're all in
the same curriculum, so it can't be because of a bad learning method. I can't see any
other reason but that some of them are talented and some aren't.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5178 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 12 of 32
04 March 2011 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Thantophobia wrote:
In my Spanish class there are people who completely don't understand the entire
Spanish
concept at all, and there are people who can speak it well and naturally. We're all in
the same curriculum, so it can't be because of a bad learning method. I can't see any

There's the willingness to learn, the effort put into it and everything they do or don't do outside of class.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5250 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 13 of 32
04 March 2011 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Thantophobia wrote:
In my Spanish class there are people who completely don't understand the entire Spanish

Not that I dismiss talent, but what about motivation? Homework? Exposure through TV, music, radio, people they
meet, family and friends? Sleep and nutrition?
2 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5922 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 14 of 32
05 March 2011 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

Advanced? Yes, certainly. But that still doesn't mean you need an aptitude to get there.

Yeah, if you say so. I haven't learned a language yet to that level, so I don't really know myself. I can see why you'd think this, though. I am confounded myself by how a simple a short rant, blurted out by an old drunken Japanese guy can be, while at the same time being, to me, utterly impenetrable. It's just a bit of sound -- this shouldn't be Mt. Everest. But, yet.

DLI believes in language learning aptitude, so for me that's enough. I'm at peace with the idea that others are better than me. I don't think it's just me. Really, how many people here have tried the 'gold list' or something like this, and then found they failed miserably compared to the inventor of the system.   I run into people and think "how can you be so dense?" -- and I'm sure the better students look at me and think the same thing.   

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5466 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 15 of 32
05 March 2011 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:

There is definitely such a thing as 'language learning aptitude.'   And sometimes I
think of myself as a language-learning retard

There is certainly some evidence that a very tiny number of people are natural geniuses
at something. However, this is unlikely to be the case for any of the super-talented
foreign language learners that you come across.

As is often stated on this forum, the best way to be able to speak 10 languages well is
to already be able to speak 9 languages well. Aptitude can be developed.

Like you, I have always thought of myself as a language dunce. However, with time and
patience, my complete lack of ability is slowly slipping away. As I mentioned in
another thread, I haven't yet managed to break the spine of any language, but now have
the feeling that I have successfully clipped some toenails.

Having always felt glum at my own lack of natural ability, I was surprised a couple of
weeks ago when another language learner said to me "well, it is easy for you, because
you are good at languages." I explained that I am not. However, it shows that when you
see the end result of other people's efforts, you assume it all came much easier to
them than it does to you. It is rarely the case, unless they were already able to speak
9 languages well ....

Edited by Splog on 05 March 2011 at 9:18am

5 persons have voted this message useful

RogerK
Triglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4872 days ago

92 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian
Studies: Portuguese

Message 16 of 32
05 March 2011 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Quote:
While everyone should be encouraged to reach for their dreams and achieve their potential, sometimes we have to accept that we aren't cut out for excellence in a particular field.

Success with a language isn't excellence.

To go back to a sporting analogy, finishing a marathon isn't excellence. Anyone without serious physical problems can train up to it over the course of 6 months. Finishing a marathon in championship time is excellence, and very few people can do it.

Mastering a foreign language to the point of being able to compose extemporaneous verse of extraordinary beauty is excellence -- learning to talk to someone at a bar about the poor showing of AC Milan in the Champion's League is something anyone can achieve.

I think Kmart's point was missed. I believe she meant, regardless of our natural abilities we should strive to achieve our best and we must accept that our best will be limited by what our parents gave us. In sport this is 100% correct. The marathon analogy is a good one. It is true that pretty much anyone can complete a marathon with 6 (12 would be better) months preparation. However if you took two people of the same weight, same age, who hadn't done any sport since their school days and they trained exactly the same, ate the same food had the same amount of rest etc, etc. they would still run different times. Why? Because of their natural abilities. Whoever says we don't have natural abilities doesn't know a whole lot about sport. A side note: less than 1% of the population ever complete a marathon.

This must be similar in all endeavours. This means some people will have a better predisposition for learning languages than the next person. Some people understand maths better and others languages better. However, if you really like doing something even though you’re naturally not very good at it doesn’t mean you can’t become very good at it. It will take longer and more work. But you are highly unlikely at achieving an elite level.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version