United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6627 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 17 of 19
11 March 2011 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
Nice. That's a wise way of seeing it, methinks.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 19
11 March 2011 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
portunhol wrote:
Journeyer wrote:
Portunhol, why do you think this man has studied more of the language rather than just a few phrases from it?

Because I don't know one way or the other. It is actually quite possible that he bought several assimil books and went through them. It is also possible that he spent a lot of time memorizing phrases that he doesn't understand. I actually think a mixture of the two scenarios is what really happened but I could be wrong and I recognize that.

I don't know and the naysayers on this forum do not know either. Instead of quickly imagining the most negative outcome possible and claiming I know something that I do not I choose to leave the door open to other possibilities.

You are a kind soul, portunhol. I like that, and we need kind souls on the forum. I would however tend to side with Jinx. I am not ready to be really impressed, or to declare him a polyglot before I have seen more of him. Nice touch with the 21 languages though, even if what we see is all he knows.

As for the specific languages, the only accent which was native was Italian. Which is - his native language... His Spanish sounded good, but with a clear Italian accent, his English was o.k, his French was horrible, his German mediocre, and his Danish and Swedish did not exactly impress me either. Most of the others I am not really in a position to judge. His Hindi and Albanian may of course be fabolous.

For me this falls under the category "Happy to see someone taking a vivid interest in languages, but waiting to be really impressed until I have seen more of him".

But perhaps I am just a cranky old woman :-)

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6627 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 19 of 19
11 March 2011 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
Ditto to Solfrid and Jinx. I'm not exactly naysaying the guy. I just would like to see what else he can do in addition to what he already knows. His enthusiasm for the languages is impressive; most people wouldn't bother looking for sentences after maybe four or five languages.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version