Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Subsidized immersion programs in Europe?

Language Learning Forum : Immersion, Schools & Certificates Post Reply
linguaphile
Triglot
India
Joined 6091 days ago

14 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Hindi, FrenchC1, German, Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 7
07 March 2011 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
Hi all,

I recently came across something called a "barnetegi"; it's basically an immersion
program for studying Basque... one unique thing about it is that it's subsidized by the
regional/local government, so it comes out super-cheap... you can get about a month of
classes (6 hours/day) AND a room AND full board included for only about 500-550€!!!

I was wondering if anything like this exists for any other languages in Europe... I
was hoping there might be something like this for Catalan, but apparently not. Maybe
for some other minority language in Europe? Or for some other less-frequently-studied
European language?

Anyway, if you know of anything like this for another language in Europe, please
share... thanks... :)

-Alex
3 persons have voted this message useful

guitarob
Hexaglot
Groupie
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4869 days ago

95 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Danish, Portuguese, Italian
Studies: German

Message 2 of 7
23 June 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
Could you provide a link for that program? It sounds really interesting
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4610 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 3 of 7
20 October 2011 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
For German:

Maybe not quite as cheap overall as the Basque course, but still pretty reasonable:

http://www.uni-jena.de/Internationaler_Sommerkurs.html

At the time of writing, that webpage is still talking about the 2011 course, but I've
checked, and there will be one in August 2012. (I don't know the cost though, but I
would think it to be similar).

Note that the cost shown only includes tuition (3 weeks). However, you get a good deal
on a very good hotel, free local transport, and student discount at the uni Mensa's,
which means you can eat for 2-3 Euros per meal if you want.

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4610 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 4 of 7
08 May 2013 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
For German:

Maybe not quite as cheap overall as the Basque course, but still pretty reasonable:

http://www.uni-jena.de/Internationaler_Sommerkurs.html

At the time of writing, that webpage is still talking about the 2011 course, but I've
checked, and there will be one in August 2012. (I don't know the cost though, but I
would think it to be similar).

Note that the cost shown only includes tuition (3 weeks). However, you get a good deal
on a very good hotel, free local transport, and student discount at the uni Mensa's,
which means you can eat for 2-3 Euros per meal if you want.

This course is also advertised for 2013:

International Summerkurs Jena Uni
3 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5246 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 5 of 7
08 May 2013 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
How about a Georgian summer course for 5 weeks in Tbilisi? It's a lot more expensive
than last time I checked though - I was actually quite shocked! 2500 dollars full price,
with the possibility of subsidies for younger students intending to specialize in
Kartvelology. I would give my right arm to be able to take the time off work and the
responsibilities of adulthood to go and do this. It sounds blissful.

http://www.kartvfund.org.ge/index.php?act=page&id=32.55&lang =en

Edited by TixhiiDon on 08 May 2013 at 11:33pm

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4439 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 7
09 May 2013 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
For Czech, here is an overview of "Summer Schools of Slavonic Studies".

The prices differ by location and there is a possibility to get a grant for the complete package including accommodation, full board and trips. The grants are limited by countries and it may be too late for this year - but it might be something to plan for next year.

The one in our town (Budweis) costs 1100 EUR for 3 weeks, including accommodation in student dorms and full board, and including excursions.
1 person has voted this message useful

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4448 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 7 of 7
23 June 2013 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
For Estonian, there seem to be two summer programs, one at Tallinn University, the other at the U. of Tartu. While I’m sure being in Tallinn for a couple of weeks in the summer would be quite pleasant, Tartu has the possible advantage of being an old university town – prior to 1917, Dorpat U. was the only university in Livonia (e.g. the current territory of Estonia and Latvia.)

Tallinn summer school

Tartu summer school

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version