LazyLinguist
United Kingdom
Joined 5400 days ago

105 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 3
07 March 2011 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
My School runs a two week work experience placement scheme in July, meaning I had to
apply for three placements and see which one I got. The one I was assigned was only a 1
week placement so I had to pick from 'leftovers' for the second week. I discovered a
placement of 'Language Assistant' which it turned out was helping in an English as a
foreign language class in my local town center with Russian and Polish natives. So, in
July, I'll be going there for a week and I'm looking forward to it as I feel it may give
me a fresh view of my native English. Has anyone had experiences that changed their
perception of their own native tongue? If you would care to share some, I think it would
be an interesting discussion point.
1 person has voted this message useful

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5278 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 3
07 March 2011 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
I was bilingual in German until the age of 5. When I entered high school, I took German just for kicks and an
easy A ;). It has forced me to look at it from the view of a complete beginner (of course I went into a higher
level). I didn't really find any "profound realization" about German, seeing as I've had to actively self teach
myself to improve it and relearn some things. I have, however, helped younger German kids that my family
knows with their English (seeing as how I speak German and it would be better than getting someone who
didn't speak German). I kind of looked at how it would be if I had to learn English from scratch, and I'm
actually kind of glad. I realized how hard it can be (irregularities, spelling etc.), seeing as I've always though
of English as extremely easy.

Edited by ruskivyetr on 07 March 2011 at 9:57pm

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6746 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 3 of 3
08 March 2011 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
LazyLinguist wrote:
Has anyone had experiences that changed their
perception of their own native tongue?

1. Learning a language quite different from my own, and having to teach my language to
speakers of that language.
2. Learning German, and then reading older English texts and realizing firsthand
(though
of course I had been taught it before) that English truly is a Germanic language, with
its own unique and rich heritage. This made me fall in love with the English language,
whereas I had always felt indifferently or even negatively about it before. For me it's
no longer the language of McDonald's and Britney Spears, but of knights, taverns,
monks, poets,and revolutionaries.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 08 March 2011 at 4:02am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version