China
Joined 5842 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 9 of 10
09 April 2011 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
If Mandarin is so easy, why is it rated a Level III language by FSI, requiring some 2,000 hours of study, including one year in China?

I really wonder about people who claim that any language is "easy". I wonder about their ability in that language to be honest, or if they have even learned a language through hard study before. Even "less difficult" languages for English speakers like Spanish, French, etc, require massive amounts of work and dedication, and experienced language learners should know better.

Besides, in my opinion the principle reason for difficulty in a language is it's "distance from one's native language", not the supposed simplicity, lack of conjugation, tense, or whatever. Binary numbers are very simple, but have you tried using them in daily life? Multiplying them? Not so easy.

And Mandarin is not "singing". I don't even notice the tones anymore and that's how it should be. Ask a native about tones and they'll look at you blankly, sometimes get it wrong. They don't notice and couldn't care less.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6374 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 10 of 10
09 April 2011 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
My thoughts on the matter:

1: Mandarin IS easy. It's, in my experience, a lot easier than French, for example. But easy != quick to learn.
Mandarin takes a lot more time to learn than French, for a native speaker of English. There's just so much
information to memorize. All those characters, all those words, virtually no cognates … But actually figuring out
how the language works and using it is a breeze, because of the extremely simple grammar. I speak Mandarin
with much more confidence than I speak French. When speaking French I'm always second-guessing myself. Even
when my French skills were at their top there was a little voice in the back of my head going "Shouldn't it be a
subjunctive after that 'que'?" This hardly ever happens in Mandarin. What does happen is that I'm not sure of the
right word and need to "talk around it". So in my mind the difference between learning French and learning
Mandarin is like the difference between building a house and building a mountain. The house is actually more
difficult to build, but it's gonna take a lot less time than the mountain.

2: Mandarin is not like singing. The tones in Mandarin are mostly defined by their contour (rising, falling, etc.),
whereas in singing, you're working with different levels. This is why tones are ignored in Mandarin songs. In
Cantonese, however, you've got three or four (depending on who you ask) level tones separated by their pitch.
This IS just like singing, and if you just add rhythm to any Cantonese sentence, it becomes a melody. This also
means that the tones of the lyrics need to correspond to the melody in Cantonese songs, which is, as I
mentioned, not the case in Mandarin. So you could take any Cantonese song (they're mostly written in Mandarin
but pronounced in Cantonese) and sing it in Mandarin without problems, but you couldn't do the same thing the
other way around. Mandarin is not like singing, but Cantonese is.
3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version