Joined 5371 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 9 of 17
15 March 2011 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
datsunking1 wrote:
I've come up with a new plan, to study one language intensely for a year (while keeping up with the previous ones) in order to get to a basic fluency or high basic fluency.

My German is coming along very well, it's much more straight forward than I first thought, and everything is making sense. By the end of the year I will have Assimil completely memorized and understood, and I will also complete FSI German, German: How to Speak and Write It, and German Made Simple. This should allow me to understand around 80%+ of what I come across, along with extra audio and vocabulary/grammar study. So I've come up with a plan, why not do this every year?

After studying Japanese for 2 years, I was probably where I was with German after 8 months. If you plan on tackling one additional language every year, make sure you stick to languages that are closely related to the ones you already know.

I don't know much about FSI, but German Made Simple and Assimil won't get you to understand 80% of what you come across, unless you only expose yourself to simple things. If I'm way off on this, please tell me, but I doubt these methods would take you past intermediate, if that.

I got to about lesson 35 of German Without Toil and was able to read German newspapers a few months ago, (Without Toil got really boring :|...or I just wasn't dedicated) I wasn't perfect, but I could definitely get along if I had to randomly move to Germany (Which is sorta my goal) FSI is brutal in my opinion, one of those things you look at and go :| German: How to Speak and Write it might be the most in depth self study method I've ever seen, it's VERY in depth...you'll learn words like "der Shalthebel" as if you'll ever need to use that everyday :D the only downside is no audio. I'm not going for absolute perfection (I mean, I would like to get to advanced fluency EVENTUALLY) but I'd like to learn enough to watch TV, read the paper, listen to music, radio, and have a good understanding of what is being said, enough to go on a trip or on vacation and not use English. Which is probably the goal for every year and language. It's hard to describe I guess:D like NOT use English, but NOT slaughter the language I've learned either :P

However, I do agree, Assimil and German made simple may not take me there, but stacking them with German: How to Speak and Write it, and FSI should give me a very good grounding. Has anyone actually finished FSI German?

Thanks for your support guys! I'm so glad to be back (although I technically never left)

and if I don't get to the level I want within a year, I'll continue studying that language until I do, but a year of hard study SHOULD give me a base where I could take on another language on the first of January (a similar one, like Portuguese) while still studying Russian for example, not something crazy like Mandarin and Russian at the same time :D
1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5239 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 10 of 17
15 March 2011 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
I think your plan seems viable indeed. I can only compare it to what I've done myself. I think I spent about 10
months, including a few brakes, on my German before I put it aside in order to learn French. I have used the
following methods for German:
- Assimil German without Toil
- Assimil German with Ease
- Linguaphone German
- German: How to Speak and Write It (I've only done the first 13 chapters.)
- Cortina German (the book only)
- Berlitz Self-Teacher German
- Teach Yourself German (the old blue and yellow; I did maybe two thirds of the book before it got too boring.)
- FSI (I've only done a little bit; I find it uninspiring.)

As you can see, I've used quite a few methods, but I consider Assimil and Linguaphone to be the most important.
I'm able to read newspapers, Wikipedia articles and most pages I come across on the net, although I have to look
up a few words here and there. I occasionally listen to German radio, mostly newscasts from Deutsche Welle, and
I understand most of what is said without too much trouble. There are many cognates between Scandinavian and
German and this probably helps me understand. I'm not so sure about my active skills though, and I don't think I
would understand fast spoken colloquial language.

Edited by tractor on 15 March 2011 at 7:39pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5552 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 17
16 March 2011 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
What for? First of all, whoever came up with the idea that after having finished a certain course you should be able to understand 80% of what you randomly encounter should be flogged. It is when you understand 80% of something (I'd like to exclude the grammar words and constructions, you have to understand those), then you should be able to use the context to make out the general meaning of most of the unknown words or expressions. As soon as you stopped being a total beginner, and until you reach advanced fluency (or even beyond) you can always find material for which that is true. More than that, when you start to learn about a new topic, you will often be at the lower end of comprehension and slowly work your way up to good comprehension and active knowledge. Over and over again.
At the point when you can use native material (or talk to natives about most topics - with their kind help) you haven't stopped learning the language, not at all. It's just that the focus shifts away from intensive study. But at this point it is still difficult to use the language, and with that I mean that you need to concentrate, think about rules, infer meanings, paraphrase in the hope of your conversation partner being able to tell you the correct word etc. Reading is slow, listening is draining, conversations make you feel like you've suddenly become quite stupid.
When you have several languages at that level, it becomes increasingly difficult to improve in any of them, especially when the new one takes away most of your attention and time.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5342 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 12 of 17
16 March 2011 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
Good to have you back!

I think your plan of focusing on one new language each year (whilst maintaining and moving forward in others you already know well like Spanish) is an excellent idea, and I look forward to following your progress.

For me it was mainly German in 2010, and now this year it's Russian (although I admit I tend to have a roving eye when it comes to languages and ashamedly need to revisit my jilted Spanish and Swedish at some point too lol).

Best of luck.

2_Journey
United States
Joined 4810 days ago

32 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 13 of 17
16 March 2011 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
I'm actually planning on doing something similar! This year (my first) is Spanish, and I'm enjoying it immensely so far.

Dragomanno
Triglot
Groupie
Zimbabwe
Joined 4789 days ago

80 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, GermanB2
Studies: Romanian, Serbo-Croatian, Latin, Lithuanian, Albanian, Ancient Greek

Message 14 of 17
18 March 2011 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
Mmm...I can agree on starting up a new language per year...not so sure about the deadline you are going to charge yourself with - eight months. That because you should know in advance the fluency you will get after eight months of studies. Sometimes it will take less time, sometimes unfortunately much more. My humble advice is: take your time! ;-)

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5661 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 15 of 17
18 March 2011 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
I would say that you have a good plan! Go with it! I wouldn't be too worried about Russian though in my opinion
when you come to it since you will be just focusing on that language when you get to it.

I would say that you have some good resources too that you are going to use with those languages. Just put the
time and effort needed everyday and you'll do fine.

Good work!

ribas
Pentaglot
Brazil
blogmarceloribas.blo
Joined 5646 days ago

37 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish, French, German
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 16 of 17
19 March 2011 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
Interesting, I have imagined how such a project would work. Good luck.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version