Tags: Rosetta Stone | French
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
johnclt
Joined 4860 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Studies: French*

Message 1 of 8
15 March 2011 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
For example, I've been on level 1 for in excess of 40 hours. I realized I choose the
"full-year curriculum". About 3/4 through, I changed over to standard because I became
tired of the repetitiveness of full-year. Anyone else have the same experience? Also, I
like using RS but have noticed many people say it won't get you to fluency. I wouldn't
expect that but is it a step in the right direction? I know there is no silver bullet. I
subscribe to some French television, watch movies, and have bought about 5 different
books ranging from phrases to verbs.
1 person has voted this message useful

Shenandoah
United States
Joined 4831 days ago

30 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 2 of 8
15 March 2011 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Most people here are pretty negative about Rosetta Stone. I do think it's improved from what most people think of when they think of RS - I have V3, and there are some decent grammar lessons, even verb conjugations (for example, I just did a lesson that had a series of pictures, all doing the same thing, with different perspectives - I, he, they, we, etc - and I had to fill in the missing word for the verb in the correct form).

I do like RS, but it is expensive for what you get. For that reason, and because of things I've learned reading here, I won't be using it for future languages (unless I can somehow get a free/cheap one). But if you already have it, I think it's worth finishing. I'm in Level 4 French now, and have learned a lot.

But it'll never work as stand-alone study material for anything beyond the basics. I'm not convinced ANY course will stand alone for most people (there are always exceptions).
I combine my Rosetta Stone with classroom work, Pimsleur, a textbook, books and TV, and starting just this past weekend, Assimil (which you'll find is generally the most preferred method on this forum).

I just use RS in the standard format (not full year), and have gone through one lesson/day since I started (3 levels x 4 units/level x 4 lessons/unit + a couple lessons in level 4 + a couple days missed = about 2 months). Sometimes I feel like I don't quite grasp the material, but I still score well enough and a few lessons later it usually makes more sense, so I don't do any repetition beyond what's naturally built into the standard training.

Just to make a comparison on fluency, my local Alliance Française has a series of 8-week classes 101-104, 201-204, 301-304, and 401-404. Using the Common European Framework, they say A1=class 102, A2=class 201, B1=class 301, B2=class 401.
I'm currently in class 102, and would estimate that my speaking abilities are right on at that level. Looking at curriculum, I'd estimate my other-than-speaking abilities are around the 201 level. That's with 3+ levels of RS.

montobello
United States
Joined 4801 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Studies: French

Message 3 of 8
21 March 2011 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
I love listening to audio language "tapes" while driving. I've done pimsleur french and
michel thomas. I love the michel thomas, its a lot of fun, even if his mouth sounds are a
little wonky. I started with RS but didnt really get far, It was too slow for me.

Edited by montobello on 21 March 2011 at 10:40pm

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5148 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 8
22 March 2011 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
I say none to Rosetta stone http://www.forbes.com/2010/07/27/learn-second-language-
lifestyle-travel-study.html . That link tells you why you shouldn't. Since you
are French. Why not you Assimil which has a bigger set of vocabulary and is more useful
and has audio with it. It will actually get you further in a language than Rosetta Stone
could ever do.

Edited by zekecoma on 22 March 2011 at 10:58am

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5222 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Studies: Norwegian

Message 5 of 8
22 March 2011 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
zekecoma wrote:
I say none to Rosetta stone http://www.forbes.com/2010/07/27/learn-
second-language-
lifestyle-travel-study.html . That link tells you why you shouldn't. Since you
are French. Why not you Assimil which has a bigger set of vocabulary and is more useful
and has audio with it. It will actually get you further in a language than Rosetta Stone
could ever do.

Indeed, Rosetta Stone is just simply not worth it. Even if you manage to get it for free,
it should be used as a supplement. Assimil would be a good choice, I'm on lesson 26 of
the the New French With Ease course and I'm loving it so far, especially the natural
language used, it seems far less "textbooky" than many courses.

mallorina
Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4812 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Italian
Studies: German, Portuguese, Norwegian, Hawaiian, Irish, Arabic (classical)

Message 6 of 8
22 March 2011 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Rosetta Stone gets very boring and I don't recommend it.
Thou, it is good for vocab.

johnclt
Joined 4860 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Studies: French*

Message 7 of 8
22 March 2011 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Thx to all who have posted!!! After researching Assimil quite a bit, I've realized that perhaps it is the course for me. However, after looking at the library and on amazon.com I've noticied there are quite a few different versions. I am about 3 months into my french lessons, I use a combination of RS and Fluenz (which I happen to like much more than RS). Can someone point me in the direction of what assimil product I should use? I'm shooting for full fluency and comprehension and wouldn't say I'm a beginner. My fiancee is Canadian and speaks very good french and I vacation quite often in France and do some work in Montreal. I do have quite a bit of exposure. Thank you all so much again!!! I realy feel like I'm on the road to learning a new language and it's a wonderful feeling.

ikinaridango
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5929 days ago

61 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: German, Polish

Message 8 of 8
25 March 2011 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
I would recommend New French with Ease, which is excellent not only for people who have never studied French, but people in your position who have already devoted a significant amount of time to the language. If you've already done three months worth of French you'll probably find that you'll be able to move through the earlier lessons quite quickly, while still being able to find in them much of use.

French without Toil also exists, the audio for which is available online. If cost is an issue you might find this the more reasonable option, though the dialogues will seem less contemporary in terms of both language and theme than those in New French with Ease. I would stay away from French with Ease, unless of course you find an extremely cheap copy with accompanying audio, as it is fundamentally nothing more than a shorter version of New French with Ease.

A very good advanced level text, Using French, also exists, but I would suggest leaving it until you've tackled one of the with Ease/without Toil series.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version