United States
Joined 5386 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 1 of 10
16 March 2011 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
Hi guys,

Has anyone used either versions of Mango Languages? If anyone has free access at their
local library could they please tell me how each course is "structured". None of the
local libraries offer it here so I was thinking about purchasing a course; I would like
to know in general what is covered. What do the last lessons look like? If you're a
Mango user; do you like the courses? Do you find them to be a useful supplement?
1 person has voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4845 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 2 of 10
16 March 2011 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
I tested Mango for potential purchase by my library. (I am an acquisitions librarian, so my job purpose is buying stuff.) It is through Mango that I tried Japanese and discovered that I loved it. I can comment on the library version, but I do not know if the individual passport version is the same as what libraries purchase.

The library edition is structured in sets of 10 units that have varying numbers of chapters within.

A short dialogue is said at the beginning of the unit, and then it is practiced throughout the chapters. Sentences are introduced and then broken down into parts. The parts of the sentences are color coded so you can see the grammar/word correspondence.

The slides work primarily that specific chapter's vocabulary, but they are done in a way to work ALL the vocabulary through all chapters. They come in at random to keep your memory for it alive.

Another thing about the product is that you can listen to the native speakers at a slower speed, and it is possible to do voice recognition. I never used that, so I don't know how the voice recognition works, but the slow pronunciation is wonderful.

On the whole, I liked the product very much, and as I wrote above, it is what made me want to stay with Japanese.

Edited by jdmoncada on 16 March 2011 at 2:12am

5 persons have voted this message useful

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5386 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 

Message 3 of 10
16 March 2011 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
Thank you jdmoncada! Awesome reply, I looked at the first lesson of the course on their
website. The courses seem to be divided up into ten chapters and 6-10 lessons each. What
do the last few conversations cover? (to get a rough idea of where the courses take one)

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4845 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 

Message 4 of 10
16 March 2011 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
One of the other libraries in my consortium owns Mango, so I logged into it to find Turkish specifically. The 10 units are:

1. Greetings, Grattitude and Goodbyes
2. Do You Speak English?
3. What's Your Name?
4. Where is the Train Station, I wonder?
5. How Much Is It, I wonder?
6. One Glass of Tea, Please
7. Credit Cards Accepted
8. Can You Help Me?
9. What Does it Mean?
10. How is it Called in Turkish?

By the way, I didn't emphasize in my first post, but this is a primarily speaking course. Yes, it does have text that comes up on screen, but it does not spend time trying to improve your reading. This was so in Japanese, and I think it is safe to assume it is the same with the rest of the languages.

I think you want more detail of what is covered in the course. I would have to take more time to look closer to find that answer. If I have not answered you well enough, I will try to come back later if someone else doesn't answer before I do.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5186 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 5 of 10
17 March 2011 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
I did the first 25 lessons of the Spanish course. There were 100 lessons. I also did a very lengthy and comprehensive review of the program here on this website. For some reason it got deleted. I suspect some moderator thought I was some sort of spammer. I am not going to do another lengthy review, but I will give you a short version.

The descriptions above are pretty good. To me it seemed like Pimsleur on the computer with some cool features. I actually preferred Pimsleur, however, and that is why I did not continue with Mango. Mango is definitely for absolute beginners. I was a multiple time false beginner with Spanish and the time I started with Mango I stuck with it and never quit Spanish (I switched to Pimsleur). It does not go very far with the language, however.

There is a short dialogue at the beginning and then a review of previous lessons in a Pimsleur-esque style of memory jogging time intervals. Then they would work you through the dialogue. It goes word by word in reverse building up the phrases. By the end of the lesson you would know the entire dialogue. Then what you learn in that dialogue is used in the review section of future lessons. I think the typical lesson took me about 20-25 minutes, but you control the answer time so it could take you more or less.

I recommend it for someone who is looking for a free absolute beginner course or for someone who says they want something like Pimsleur, but visual. As said above, however, it will not take you too far.

You should be able to get a library card anywhere. Maybe you could go to a different town near you that has the program and get a card there?

Edited by James29 on 17 March 2011 at 1:21am

2 persons have voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4845 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 

Message 6 of 10
17 March 2011 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
I agree with what James wrote about the program being for beginners. While I was doing my evaluation test with Japanese (a language that I did not know before the trial period), Mango added its Finnish module. When I looked at the Finnish from a curiosity point of view, I was bored and unimpressed, to be quite honest. So if I would have started with Finnish, as opposed to Japanese, I would not be singing the product's praises.

I do feel it was a great "jump start" if any product can do that. I have my useful phrases, and I am not afraid to speak them. I can be shy to speak in my other languages at times, but because this was a speaking course, I feel more free to say things.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 10
17 March 2011 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
I did the first 25 lessons of the Spanish course. There were 100 lessons. I also did a very lengthy and comprehensive review of the program here on this website. For some reason it got deleted. I suspect some moderator thought I was some sort of spammer. I am not going to do another lengthy review, but I will give you a short version.

Nope, it wasn't deleted. It's here.

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5386 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 

Message 8 of 10
02 April 2012 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
New levels were released for a number of languages. They also lowered their prices. :)

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version