Triglot
United States
Joined 4794 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese, SpanishB2
Studies: Turkish

Message 1 of 10
16 March 2011 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
What kind of task is learning the Mongolian language?

Is it enjoyable and interesting?

What about in terms of difficulty? Is it something monsterous full of difficult features like Korean,Chinese or Russian or is it more manageable like something like Turkish?

Just how complicate as a whole is the language?

Would it be right to say it is something as complex as Turkish? Or is a more spikey cactus like Korean?

Since I wish to learn certain Altaic languages I may choose Mongolian when I have acquired fluency in Turkish. Also since Mongolian girls are so beautiful I would like to learn the language.

By the way, my language background and experience is as my profile states.

Please tell me how you think I would find learning Mongolian. Please go into detail on individual aspects like Mongolian grammar, cases, verb conjugation, word formation, etc...

1 person has voted this message useful

njblue
Diglot
United States
Joined 5119 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, French

Message 2 of 10
16 March 2011 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
Here is a video in Mongolian. I think the language sounds very interesting. It reminds me of those native american
languages sort of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txgmYSF6Q1U

FrostBlast
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4891 days ago

168 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Icelandic

Message 3 of 10
16 March 2011 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
It sounds very interesting!

Is it me, or do I hear some russian words in there? The girl at 27 seconds sounds like she's saying "Очень." And then, I found it sounds oddly like Klingon... hehe! And that's definitely a language not to be spoken with your mouth full - you'll make one heck of a mess!
3 persons have voted this message useful

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4970 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 4 of 10
16 March 2011 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
FSI rats it as very hard language.
I guess it's due to its grammar.
It's definitely harder than Turkish and Korean i would say (when it comes to grammar).

However my knowledge is limited so much.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6021 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 5 of 10
16 March 2011 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
I speak Turkish and I can say that although the two are distantly related ( although some scholars dispute
whether or not Mongolian is truly an Altaic language) , Turkish won't help you much in Mongolian aside from
picking out the stray cognate here and there.

I found Mongolian much harder than Turkish. The traditional Mongolian script ( which is beautiful and is making
a comeback, especially in Inner Mongolia) takes some time to learn although the Cyrillic based Mongolian
alphabet is pretty easy to pick up.

Spoken Mongolian tends to swallow up sounds which makes it a bit challenging to understand. The grammar is
similar to the other Turkic/Altaic languages although I wouldn't say it is necessarily "harder" than the others.

That being said, it is an exotic and really cool sounding language. Mongolia is an incredible country which you
could spend years exploring and without a knowledge of Mongolian you would be seriously handicapped in your
explorations.

You can get a ton of free audio courses here:

Mongolian Audio Archives

Then again you could search for that site that begins with uz and ends in translations that may have additional
materials as well.

Good luck!

Edited by liddytime on 16 March 2011 at 4:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

malakhim
Triglot
United States
Joined 4794 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese, SpanishB2
Studies: Turkish

Message 6 of 10
16 March 2011 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
clumsy wrote:
It's definitely harder than Turkish and Korean i would say (when it comes to grammar).

In concrete, what grammatic features are difficult in mongolian. Could someone please give some examples?

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6021 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 7 of 10
16 March 2011 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
malakhim wrote:
clumsy wrote:

In concrete, what grammatic features are difficult in mongolian. Could someone please give some examples?

I wouldn't necessarily say the grammar is "hard", it is just "different" than other languages.

Some aspects are easy - no gender!   No tones!

Some are different.

-Mongolian is agglutinative which means you add suffixes onto the end of words rather that use separate words.

-There are 8 different cases - although they function more like prepositional suffixes.

-Phrase structure is roughly SOV but can be altered depending on mood and aspect.

-Verbs have several moods/inflections including passive active and co-operative forms.

-There are very few English cognates so most words will need to be learned on their own without help from cognates

-That dreaded "vowel-harmony" where all the vowels in a word need to agree with each other

Seriously though! If you are truly interested in Mongolian and all things Mongolian - go for it! It will not seem so difficult if you are truly passionate about learning it! :-)

Edited by liddytime on 16 March 2011 at 11:52pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4970 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 8 of 10
17 March 2011 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
malakhim wrote:
clumsy wrote:

I don't remember, but making plurals is difficult.
More irregular verbs than in Turkish (Turkish grammar is very regular, once you have remembered some basic rules).
Vowel Harmony is a thing common in all Altaic languages (even Korean has it, aand I have read somewhere about Japanese... but maybe not the modern one).
In Turkish K|z (I cannot type Turkish i without a dot) means a girl.
k|zlar means girls.
If it would be kiz, the plural would be kizler.
It's just that some vowels go together.

There is one Mongolian grammar course for free in Japanese.

I learned it only a little bit.
I forgot most of it.
I remember things like "how are you?" and stuff.
However FSI must have some reason to put it together with Thai, Vietnamese, Georgian, Finnish, Estonian as Category II languages with a star.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version