Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6036 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 
Speaks: German, Croatian*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 1 of 8
17 March 2011 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
I slowly starting to learn Icelandic, because of a possible exchange semester there, next year. Out of sheer curiosity, I was wondering how is Icelandic transferable to other Scandinavian languages.

I understand that Icelandic is not comprehensible to a speaker of other Scandinavian languages, aside from a word here and there, but what about the other way around?

1 person has voted this message useful

laiwai
Diglot
Groupie
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6634 days ago

66 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 8
17 March 2011 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
My guess is that it will probably aid quite a bit in the study of them, but no more than
that.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6495 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 8
17 March 2011 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
When you know both Icelandic and one of the 'Continental' Nordic languages fairly well, you will discover more and more common words and expressions - but it took me some time to get there, and I even had Danish as my native language. If people on Iceland have any advantage it can only be due to having had Danish in School, but my experience after to trips to the country is that most people up there don't understand spoken Danish.

bushwick
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6036 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 

Message 4 of 8
17 March 2011 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
But can I presume the shift from Icelandic to other Nordic languages is much more straightforward than the other way around?

Maybe it's simplistic, but my logic is "complex to less-complex" would present few problems, unlike "less-complex to complex"

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6495 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 8
17 March 2011 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
If you already know Icelandic (or Old Norse) then it will probably be easier to learn another Scandinavian language than the other way round. But because of scarce materiales and few speakers and the rich morphology it will be much more difficult to get to your starting point if you choose Icelandic.

Edited by Iversen on 17 March 2011 at 11:12am

bushwick
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6036 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 

Message 6 of 8
17 March 2011 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
I'm using http://icelandiconline.is/, which seems to be a suprisingly comprehensive course so far. If I go for an exchange, I will get a 3 week intensive course with Haskoli Islands as well. I also have a Colloquial Icelandic course on it's way now as well.

Should be manageable.

TDC
Triglot
United States
Joined 6713 days ago

261 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, French
Studies: Esperanto, Ukrainian, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Persian

Message 7 of 8
21 March 2011 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Well, it looks like Old English...
2 persons have voted this message useful

FrostBlast
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4891 days ago

168 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Icelandic

Message 8 of 8
23 March 2011 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
As the Swedish say, to speak Icelandic, you only need to take the swedish word and add "-ur" at the end. And voilà, Icelandic! :)

Seriously now, there are many common point to all those languages. I started learning swedish many years ago, and then got into Icelandic at a later date : I wasn't completely on foreign ground, but definitely not entirely on familiar ground either. The Icelandic have a very conservative and protective approach to their language.

For instance, where the English say computer, the German komputer, the russian компьютер, the Icelandic say tölva. It's a word that fell into disuse some time ago that they picked up again and gave a new meaning to - tölva previously meant "wire."

An other example : the English say geology, the french géologie, the russian геология, the swedish geologi, the icelandic say jarðfræði (from the words jörð - earth - and fræði - studies).

What those examples mean is that you can't relate to other languages, most of the time, when speaking Icelandic because of how they refused to include loan words and foreign words into their language (as a way to protect their own linguistic identity). They made up new words of their own, based on their own vocabulary, sometimes cannibalizing very old words that weren't used anymore. So even though the swedish words häst and hund (horse and dog) relate to the icelandic words hestur and hundur (hence the joke with which I opened this post - many other words are like that), such cases are very far from being the rule.

EDIT: For those who may wonder, the icelandic -ur ending is a relic of the ancient Norse language. Back then, many words finished with an -r. This -r ending was pronounced somewhat like an -ur, like in the word Miðgarðr, hence over time, it actually became an -ur in Icelandic.

EDIT2: I just thought I'd share this website with you

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/IcelOnline/IcelOnlineHome.h tml

It's a great resource.

Edited by FrostBlast on 23 March 2011 at 1:24am

6 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version