Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5213 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 9 of 13
21 March 2011 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Alex, I spoke with my dad but turns out he simply uses a mixture of online dictionaries,
Google translate and Wikipedia (searches for articles in French/Italian/German for a
relevant word then changes the language to English) but is at the stage of using online
monolingual dictionaries for the most part.

Sorry I can't be of any more help, just hope you can find a good online Chinese<>English
dictionary that works fine with screen readers.
1 person has voted this message useful

AlexBlackman
Australia
Joined 5304 days ago

11 posts - 13 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 13
24 March 2011 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
Alex, I spoke with my dad but turns out he simply uses a mixture of online dictionaries,
Google translate and Wikipedia (searches for articles in French/Italian/German for a
relevant word then changes the language to English) but is at the stage of using online
monolingual dictionaries for the most part.

Sorry I can't be of any more help, just hope you can find a good online Chinese<>English
dictionary that works fine with screen readers.

Thank you for your suggestion... I do a similar thing myself to learn technical terms, anyway, if worse comes to worse, I could just use special software to download a website
RogerK wrote:

You could call the Blind Institute in your capital city. I went to an open day at the institute for the blind in Bundoora, Melbourne a few years ago and spoke to a blind lady who spoke numerous languages. She only said that she had studied languages at uni and not directly with the institute but I'm confident they will either have materials or be able to point you in the right direction.

Hi
I will certainly do that, thanks.
Cainntear wrote:
I think there's a Pimsleur English for Chinese speakers. I'm not a massive fan of Pimsleur, but it does have its uses.
Another thing which should be quite handy is a piece of software called Gradint.
If you get examples of words and phrases you want to learn in your target language and record prompts in your native language, it will generate automatic lessons, presenting and revising the phrases at increasing intervals. (The author says this is based on Paul Pimsleur's original formula, which isn't followed exactly by the current courses.)

I reckon it's only because I plugged a quarter of the audio from my Welsh course into Gradint that I passed the exam. I hadn't studied enough, and once I had the lessons as MP3 I could just cram loads.

But you don't have to cram with Gradint. If you supply it with the samples in a structured order, you can actually learn quite intelligently. It seems to pick the samples out in alphabetical order of filename, so don't just dump everything in together in one go.

I think a progressive audio-only course is the best way to go... For all its many flaws, pimsleur is the best. I'll definitely suggest its worth 'acquiring'

As for Gradint... I don't think it'll be useable by blind people, but if I have time spare, I could use it to make my own English for Masseuses course

Edited by AlexBlackman on 24 March 2011 at 8:27am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5806 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 11 of 13
24 March 2011 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
AlexBlackman wrote:
As for Gradint... I don't think it'll be useable by blind people,

Not by the completely blind, no, but the author of the program is partially sighted and wrote it specifically because he couldn't find many language learning materials he could use.

He even has another page where you can see what the web looks like to him.

AlexBlackman
Australia
Joined 5304 days ago

11 posts - 13 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 12 of 13
29 March 2011 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
AlexBlackman wrote:
As for Gradint... I don't think it'll be useable by blind people,

Not by the completely blind, no, but the author of the program is partially sighted and wrote it specifically because he couldn't find many language learning materials he could use.

He even has another page where you can see what the web looks like to him.

I stand corrected

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 13 of 13
29 March 2011 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
This is a really good question! One suggestion I came across for people who are completely blind is bilingual audiobooks. In this case, a good starting place might be Multilingualbookstore, which offers a small but growing handful of both large print bilingual books and bilingual audiobooks in a combination of English and French, Spanish or German.

Edited by Teango on 29 March 2011 at 4:21pm

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version