Language Learning Forum : Language Bookstores Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1
Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 4889 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 9 of 13
27 March 2011 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Well, not quite. I managed to buy the Maryknoll Book at one of the university bookshops. But minus the cd unfortunately.
1 person has voted this message useful

seldnar
United States
Joined 5648 days ago

189 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, French, Greek

Message 10 of 13
27 March 2011 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
Reprints of some early (and worthwhile) work on Taiwanese and Taiwan can be found at 南天出版社。Their website is
http://www.smcbook.com.tw/ . There are also many worthwhile reprints of 20th century sinological works. On the
website look for the section entitled "Western Books." They also have more books in stock than are listed.

Caves Bookstore is the granddaddy of all Taiwan English bookstores. Eslite is much better, but Caves does have
agreements with important British and American publishers to reprint their books and you may find some very
interesting sinological works at good prices. (I once worked in their editorial offices).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ichiro
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4725 days ago

111 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, French
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Malay

Message 11 of 13
01 April 2011 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
Raincrowlee wrote:
You can only get the Maryknoll books from Maryknoll itself, but there's a branch located in Taipei if you want to go.

I visited the Maryknoll Taipei branch, but unfortunately they don't actually sell the books there, they told me I could get them at their Taichung shop. Which was a little far to go that day. I can always order them online, I guess, if I'm serious.

Instead, I tried at a bookshop recommended elsewhere called Taiwan e Tiam, near the University. They had volume 2 and the CD's but not volume 1. They also had a volume called Harvard Taiwanese 101, which candidly didn't look too good. So I came away empty-handed, but at least having enjoyed the thrill of the chase.

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5218 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 12 of 13
02 April 2011 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
Ichiro wrote:
   They also had a volume called Harvard Taiwanese 101, which candidly didn't look too good. So I came away empty-handed, but at least having enjoyed the thrill of the chase.

Hate hate hate Harvard Taiwanese 101 with a passion. It is very difficult to use the book as a self-study guide. It has some charts but no grammar explanations, and the dialogs are increasingly detached from any realistic learning process. The most ironic thing is that in the back of the book is the author's study of all the Taiwanese language books he looked at and rejected before undertaking the task of writing a book himself. In certain ways it is the most useful part of the book by listing other choices, but the pickings there are slim.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ichiro
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4725 days ago

111 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, French
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Malay

Message 13 of 13
03 April 2011 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Hi Budz. I'm afraid the Taiwan e Tiam only had the CD's for volume 2. It could be we're talking abou the same bookshop!

If you're after the CD's for volume 1, when I visited the Maryknoll Taipei branch, they said it was possible to order the books / CD's from the Taichung branch and have them delivered overseas (for a cost). There's no online order mechanism - you email them or phone them up. I'm sure you already have the contact details, but if not, the Taichung branch contacts seem to be here -

http://mklanguage.homestead.com/locations.html

They have a free downloadable dictionary as well.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version